GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Peeyen,

Congratulations on I-130 approvals.

peeyen said:
Is the Police Clearance Certificate to be obtained from the regional passport office alone or also from the current local police station?

Please refer to Mumbai consulate website for requirements on PCC.
http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/ivpolicecertificates.html

Based on that

If residing in India and his or her Indian passport was issued within past 6 months and is 16 years old or older 1. from Passport Office

If Passport was issued more than 6 months prior to visa application and is 16 yeas old or older 1. from Passport Office and
2. from The district police office serving the applicant's place of residence

peeyen said:
If the person has lived in a different state in India, do we need to get it from there too? Would be such a bummer especially if you don't know anyone living there.

Based on consulate website, no. Only from police office serving the applicant's place of residence.

There is a post on "Consular" forum with helpful information.
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=201104

peeyen said:
My mom doesn't have her school certificate, but she does have a teaching school certificate (teacher's training) which has her date of birth. Will this suffice in addition to the non-availability certificate?

The standard guideline is non-availability certificate and 2 affidavits from parents/older relatives who have direct knowledge of birth of applicant. One can also submit (or keep handy) secondary evidence such as School living certificate
http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/ivbirthcertificates.html

peeyen said:
Lastly, anyone used YourManInIndia.com services to obtain these records? What's the timeframe like?

Have not used it but heard about it from immigration websites/forums.

Good luck! Keep us posted with your timelines.

jenimmi said:
Yes. That's the problem. These forms were d/loaded, printed and signed by my Dad.

Jenimmi,

Since there is still time before submitting DS-230 to NVC, you may want to download the form, fill out his info in acrobat, print it here and send to your Dad. Send it by regular mail but two copies in separate envelopes just to be safe. He can also send both signed copies back the same way.

visaapplicant said:
Jenimmi,

Since there is still time before submitting DS-230 to NVC, you may want to download the form, fill out his info in acrobat, print it here and send to your Dad. Send it by regular mail but two copies in separate envelopes just to be safe. He can also send both signed copies back the same way.

Yes. That's what I thought of doing too.. although I only thought of filling it by hand. Acrobat seems to be a better idea. At the going rate of I-130 processing at VSC (which we once thought was super fast than the other SCs) I have plenty of time for this. Our timelines are almost the same - I hope it's not redundant if I asked you to post any progess on your case :)
Thanks for helping many of us with your suggestions.

I-693 Vaccination

Hi, when I went through the medical clearance requirements for aliens seeking AOS on form I-693, I noticed the form says immunications are not required.

Does this mean for someone seeking AOS, there is no need to get vaccinations at all ? Does the vaccination requirement only apply to aliens undergoing CP ?

But an article on the web site immihelp.com http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/vaccination-requirements.html clearly states that all applicants must obtain certain vaccinations. So what did I miss here ?

Can someone who has taken your relatives for a medical examination inside the US shed some light on this ? Were you required to get vaccinations ?

Thanks.

visaapplicant,

Thank you for getting back to me. The links you posted were very helpful especially about the PCC. As far as the birth certificate is concerned, my reading of the Mumbai consulate information is you can submit the non-availability cert and in addition either school leaving cert OR 2 affidavits from relatives. Right? Again, I don't have anyone 10 years older than my dad/mom who can vouch for being there when they were born.

Looking forward to more updates and hopefully updating my parents' case info soon.

GC For Parents - Birth certificate not available

I am planning to Apply GC for my parents via AOS later this year.

Thank you for all the required document list.

I have my BC, so does my Mom and they have a marriage certificate as well. However, my dad does not have a Birth Certificate. He is trying to get from his place of birth but looks like a long drawn process and needs to go via the courts since it is before 1937.

I saw in your list that a non-availability thru a govt. agency from India is required along with Affidavit? What should be the format and who should issue it(the municipality or births/deaths office or some other govt. office)

Is this Non-availibility Certificate absolutely mandatory? I have heard that some people just produce 2 affidavits from close relatives and is ok with the San Francisco office, it this true?

thanks,

case status update: my mom's case(I-130) has been approved on 3/23.
Both my parent's online case status have been updated whitin 1 day of approval and I also got notification emails for both of them.

Thanks for everyone in this forum to make it easier to go through the waiting game! We still have a lot to go through and need all the support we can get so keep up the good advice and THANK YOU

I think the next steps for I-130 application are:
- receive the approval letters from INS
- receive letters from NVC indicating that they have received the files from INS
- receive the fee bill
- receive the agent form
- affidavit of support that I have to fill
- DS 230 part 1 & 2 that my parents have to fill
- NVC sends the application to consulate
- receive the interview date from consulate
- interview
- wait for possible name check
- all done

am I missing something? are the steps in the right order? I read something about a visa processing fee. Is that the same as fee bill? Is there also a fee for affidavit of support processing?

CSCGC,

The Non Availability is given by the relevant Birth and Death Registration Office. Remember, it has to be from the birth place that is specified in your dad's passport.

Non Availability with 2 Affidavits is a must - for India, at least that's what my impression is. If possible enclose some school certificates too. Don't worry about someone being older to your dad by 10yrs to give the affidavit.

Obtaining the Non-Availability is lot easier compared to obtaining the late registered BC.

Good luck, let us all know if have any more questions.

Parents GC AOS Question

Hi All,

My brother is a US Citizen. Our parents have B2 (Visitors Visa) of 10 yrs (multiple entry).

We want to call our parents here and then do the Adjustment of Status. My questions is : HOW DO THEY GET THE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER (SSN) ?

All the applications (I-485, 765...) require their SSN. Can they get the drivers license using I-94 ?

Thanks a bunch,
Jigs

jparikh1 said:
Hi All,

My brother is a US Citizen. Our parents have B2 (Visitors Visa) of 10 yrs (multiple entry).

We want to call our parents here and then do the Adjustment of Status. My questions is : HOW DO THEY GET THE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER (SSN) ?

All the applications (I-485, 765...) require their SSN. Can they get the drivers license using I-94 ?

Thanks a bunch,
Jigs

On the I-485, 765 apps - you can leave the SSN field blank. You can apply for SSN once the I-765 is approved (when you get the EAD).

Mother traveling on AP

Here is the timeline for my Mothers AOS.

DO:Hartford
Mailed I 130/ 485/ 131 to chicago lockbox
RD: 01/05/06
ND: 01/13/06
FP: waiting
AP: 02/23/06

My mom has 10 year multiple entry visa and she came here on B2 visitor visa and we applied for her I130 / 485/ 131 before her I-94 expired (01/15/06). She has approved AP and has plans for travel(Canada for 1 week). We still haven't received her FP notice and her I-94 is expired. Is it OK to tarvel on approved AP with expired I-94.

Important questions

One important question please.....my citizenship interview is on May 3rd 2006. My mom is currently in US with B1 visitor visa. Her I-94 expires on 15th April 2006. Can I have her over-stay on her I-94 until my interview is over and I take my oath so that I can apply for her I-130 and I-485 at the same time? I know she will be out of status from 16th April until I apply for her I-485. But I read somewhere in the USCIS.GOV webpage that this is OK for immediate relatives? Am I reading correct? Can I have her stay with me? Would this put us in trouble when her GC is being processed? Any insight/advice on this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much....

GC stamp on passport after interview

We applied for GC for our father in June 05, he had his interview in mid March 06. He was asked to:
1) Give two affidavits for birth.
2) Form G325 duly filled.
These items have been submitted. Can anybody tell us how long before he can get GC stamped on his passport. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
LR2005 said:
One important question please.....my citizenship interview is on May 3rd 2006. My mom is currently in US with B1 visitor visa. Her I-94 expires on 15th April 2006. Can I have her over-stay on her I-94 until my interview is over and I take my oath so that I can apply for her I-130 and I-485 at the same time? I know she will be out of status from 16th April until I apply for her I-485. But I read somewhere in the USCIS.GOV webpage that this is OK for immediate relatives? Am I reading correct? Can I have her stay with me? Would this put us in trouble when her GC is being processed? Any insight/advice on this will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much....

You are right about "Being IR and out of status does not jeopardize her I-485/GC". But if for some emergency reason, she needs to apply for AP (to travel abroad before I-485 approval), then it becomes problematic. If you read the instructions for I-131 (AP) you can learn more how being out of status doesn't work for AP.
A better option would be to apply for an extension of her visitor visa, while you are waiting for your CZ interview and oath.

Cannot extend

Thank you Jenimmi, but she has extended her stay one time already and I don't think we can apply for 2 extensions within the same trip?! Obviously I cannot state the reason for extension as "will be filing I-485" because B1 visitor is meant for NON-Immigration purpose ! Other than AP, will there be any other problem?

LR2005 said:
Thank you Jenimmi, but she has extended her stay one time already and I don't think we can apply for 2 extensions within the same trip?! Obviously I cannot state the reason for extension as "will be filing I-485" because B1 visitor is meant for NON-Immigration purpose ! Other than AP, will there be any other problem?

She should be OK unless, like jenimmi said, she has to travel outside US before she gets her GC.

LR2005 said:

I can't think of any other problem, besides AP.
But I do think it is possible to extend some one's Visitor visa twice. A co-worker of mine had done it in the past. Even in the face of the 2nd extension being denied, by then you would have gotten your CZ - therefore you would have kept her here, legally. Any one care to agree / disagree?

jenimmi said:
I can't think of any other problem, besides AP.
But I do think it is possible to extend some one's Visitor visa twice. A co-worker of mine had done it in the past. Even in the face of the 2nd extension being denied, by then you would have gotten your CZ - therefore you would have kept her here, legally. Any one care to agree / disagree?

I don't care to agree or disagree with you :D :D :D

But, I like it or not, I have to admit that you're right. :eek:

God, I hate it when you're right
:p

Just wanted to update our experience at InfoPass y'day:
In a nutshell, regarding FP - IP was USELESS :mad:

There was a lady with ATTITUDE spelled all over herself and was all the time repeating and re-repeating (I had to come up with a word like this) and gave me an idea that I don't follow English :confused:
She would have said this at least a hundred times "This is not Missouri, this is Newark", which kept me thinking - if she'd ever been to school in her youth, she must have had a terrible stint in geography, with the teacher yelling things like this at her to get into her thick brain. I saw that she was taking it out on every one that was unfortunate enough to be called to her counter. Why cannot they think of appointing friendly officers at IP, who don't have a tone and attitude?
Anyway, I only went to Infopass to get a referral letter to meet the AOS supervisor and of course as fate would have it, the AOS supervisor who I intended to meet, was out sick.

I went outside the building and called the AP supervisor (who I had spoken to before) and asked him if I could drop of papers documenting the need for emergency AP. (The need for my Mom to travel might arise any time now). He told me where to drop off the papers and within a couple of hours, we got the expedited AP. He was a total angel and I saw that when he came out to meet us to hand over the AP, some of the others who were waiting in that area, saw his good nature and ran to ask him various questions including deportation cases. He kept standing there for nearly an hour answering questions and I could see then how Newark balances the GOOD, the bad and the UGLY officers.

I also had a chat with the friendly supervisor on the CZ floor and he told us that recently he has come across cases where IL was sent out before FP appt notice. He said in such a case, the delay is quite unavoidable. He added, it is totally at the Interviewing officer's interest to follow-up on the FP results for a case, at his own sweet time, when FP is scheduled after interview. I guess, this is when one has to use their contacts and write numerous letters to DO, if one does not hear a month after FP results are sent from FBI.

If anyone is in a similar situation, I would strongly suggest that if they get IL prior to FP notice, keep calling your DO until you get to speak to a supervisor at AOS and I'm sure they can do something to schedule FP before interview. Why should you waste months in your process? This is what I plan to do, I'm not going to give up that easily.
Next step: Waiting for IL or if lucky, an FP appt letter :D

GC through Local Office

One of my friends told me that he had applied GC for his parents through the local office (Philadelphia) couple of years ago. He and his parents personally went to the local office, submitted the applications and got finger prints done the same day. It saved them lots of time. Can we still file the applications (GC, AOS) with the local office? Thanks a lot!