GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Interpreter

I posted this question earlier in this thread as well, but didn’t get any response from the people, who has interviews for their parents, I would really appreciate if someone, who been with non –English speaking parents interview and can answer this:

I received green card interview letter for my mom. It says “If you do not speak English fluently, you should bring interpreter.” My mom doesn’t speak English. So, my questions are:

I am a sponsor for her, so I will be going with her anyway and I speak English fluently, Can I act as a Interpreter? Or do I have to hire professional one?

Thanks in advance for you comments.

In one of these forums i read that you(petitioner) can act as an interpreter. I read about this few hours ago on this forum and thought to reply it to you, and you can search for the same in the forum too as i did myself.....

I have applied for my mom's GC (Consular Processing) and am in the process of getting the Police verification certificate. The requirement for police certificates is a little confusing. My mom has lived in her current residence city for close to 2 years now. Prior to that she was living in a different city for 30+ years.

1) Do I need to get the police certificate from both cities or the current residence city is good enough?
2) Also do we need to get the police certificate from the Passport Office as well?

Any response will be appreciated.

Did you get letter from the Consulate asking you to provide Police Clearance Certificate or when do you submit this letter? Appreciate your reply.

Thanks,
Raj

I posted separate thread as well, but then realized I should have posted in this thread.( http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=2047149 )

I received green card interview letter for my mom. It says “If you do not speak English fluently, you should bring interpreter.” My mom doesn’t speak English. So, my questions are:

I am a sponsor for her, so I will be going with her anyway and I speak English fluently, Can I act as a Interpreter? Or do I have to hire professional one?

Thanks in advance for you comments.

There is no "hard and fast" rule on who could be an interpreter for someone who appears for immigration interview. As a matter of fact, I've seen, noticed and witnessed of many people, who don't speak/understand English, were allowed to use their family members/relatives (even petitioners) or anyone else to be an interpreter. That said, I don't see why you cannot be an interpreter for the interview for your mom. The only time a petitioner or a family member/relative is not allowed to an interpreter for the interview is when a case is marriage based because then it could prevent USCIS to dig on marriage-fraud information.

Good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
time it takes for I-130 to be approved

Dear All, how long does it take these days for I-130 to be approved by the Vermont Service Center for parents? Is it 6 months or less? I am trying to see if AOS or CP would be faster. Also, do CP times differ according to the country and the embassy? Thank you.

Dear All, how long does it take these days for I-130 to be approved by the Vermont Service Center for parents? Is it 6 months or less? I am trying to see if AOS or CP would be faster. Also, do CP times differ according to the country and the embassy? Thank you.
You can check the processing times at the USCIS website. Its usually 6 months for I-130. As far as AOD vs CP goes, again I would direct you to the stickies. Read this http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=202993. Atleast for me, when I started reading this over a year back, it answered most of my questions.

Hope this helps.
Vinayak

Hi all, I will hopefully be getting my citizenship in a few months and when I do, I would like to apply for GC for my father. My parents were never married and all I have to prove that he is my father (other than the obvious resemblance) is my birth certificate. After reading some of the posts I realized that a birth certificate may not be enough proof especially because I was born out of wedlock. I am thinking of doing a DNA test but since I live here and he lives in the Caribbean, I am not sure how that would work. If there is anyone out there who has been in a similar situation or has any advice, I would really appreciate it.

hi bugs.. my friend said if DNA is needed there will be a designated company by the US embassy in your home country as well as here in the US.

You can check the processing times at the USCIS website. Its usually 6 months for I-130. As far as AOD vs CP goes, again I would direct you to the stickies. Read this http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=202993. Atleast for me, when I started reading this over a year back, it answered most of my questions.

Hope this helps.
Vinayak

Vinayak, thank you for your response. I did check the processing times on USCIS in fact, but as you know, they do not tell the whole story. So I wanted to ask people who applied through Vermont how many months they have had to wait recently for their I-130 to be approved. The website says 6 months, but it seems like actual AOS takes much less these days.

Parent's I-130

I'm applying for my parent's I-130. However, they don't have their marriage certificate so I'm furnishing two affidavits from their family members/friends who attended their wedding.

- Would I still need to furnish a "Non availability of Marriage Certificate" certificate? If so, where do I get that from and what should the format be for such a certificate?

Secondly, my Birth Certificate has names of both of my parents but not my name. It just says a male child was born to Mr. XXXX and Mrs XXXX.

- Do i need to get a new birth certificate with my name on it? or would the original certificate suffice? (any additional docs that need to be provided?)

Would appreciate any advice.
Thanks!

Hi All,

I had applied for my mom's GC, I received approval for I -130 and I-131. but she had to go to FP twice. Yesterday, I got a letter stating that since her finger prints were illegible both times, she needs to get a Good conduct certificate from police station for last five years of her stay in U.S.....

This is confusing that since she didn't stay here continuously for last 5 years and we had already submitted Indian PCC already....Can someone help? There is time deadline on this, otherwise, they say 485 wld be rejected.......also, how do I contact my local Police station - what is the procedure? Please explain.....

I am in the process of applying for my parents GC and had a quick question which I was hoping to get some help on. On some of the documents (such as marriage certificate) that I need to provide, my father's name has a slight variation in spelling. The variation is just a single letter in the name.

Given this variation is it recommended that I should state the incorrect spelling of his name as other names used on form G325a?

Few questions, urgent

1) My mom is on vistor visa B-2. can I apply green card for her(AOS) from United states? Someone said it is dangerous because of immigration intent at the time of B-2 visa, is it true?

2) About police clearance certificate, is it for AOS or CP?

3) Should I wait 90 days to do medical exam and submit my application?

4) During the process, if her I-94 expires, is it okay?

5) I am only applying for my mom, will this be a problem, my dad not applying?

Thanks a lot!

Hi All,

I had applied for my mom's GC, I received approval for I -130 and I-131. but she had to go to FP twice. Yesterday, I got a letter stating that since her finger prints were illegible both times, she needs to get a Good conduct certificate from police station for last five years of her stay in U.S.....

This is confusing that since she didn't stay here continuously for last 5 years and we had already submitted Indian PCC already....Can someone help? There is time deadline on this, otherwise, they say 485 wld be rejected.......also, how do I contact my local Police station - what is the procedure? Please explain.....
akapoor, dont fret. This is becoming more of a norm nowadays. Just look for "Good Conduct Certificate" over these forums. There is a plethora of information. My dad went through the same thing. His FPs were rejected twice. We had to get a Good Conduct certificate from local police where we live. PCC from India is not what they want. My dad got his GC and went back to India yesterday. So dont worry about this RFE.

Vinayak

This good conduct certificate, what language should it be in? Can it be tranlasted by me and notorized here or it has to be translated in my country and notorized?

This good conduct certificate, what language should it be in? Can it be tranlasted by me and notorized here or it has to be translated in my country and notorized?
The Good conduct certificate is obtained from local law enforcement agency and not from the native country. So there is no question of translation or notarization. Just search for "Good Counduct Certificate" across these forums and you will find a multitude of threads addressing this issue.

1) My mom is on vistor visa B-2. can I apply green card for her(AOS) from United states? Someone said it is dangerous because of immigration intent at the time of B-2 visa, is it true?

2) About police clearance certificate, is it for AOS or CP?

3) Should I wait 90 days to do medical exam and submit my application?

4) During the process, if her I-94 expires, is it okay?

5) I am only applying for my mom, will this be a problem, my dad not applying?

Thanks a lot!

Answer to your questions-

(1) Yes, your mom could adjust her status to LPR within the US even though she entered with B-2 visa. Normally when an applicant files AOS within 30-90 days of entering into the US on non-immigrant visa, USCIS automatically presumes immigration fraud. What it means is that they determines that application has had preconcived intent to immigrating to US. However, that doesn't mean an application will definately be denied; rather more follow up questions/investigation would come up, and in the absense of compelling reason to justify why AOS was filed within 90 days of entering into the US, USCIS will most probably deny the application. Filing AOS after 90 days of entering into the US won't cause any problem at all. Thus, it's best to wait for your mom to wait at least 90 days of entering into the US to file AOS to avoid any denial or assumption on USCIS part.

(2) As for Police Clearance Certificate then it's for CP processing. During AOS, a Police Clearance Certificate is not needed because applicants' fingerprints are taken and send to FBI and other agencies to conduct a criminal background checks. However, sometime some people's fingerprints cannot be read by computer for various reasons...it could be because of scares on fingers or no readable things on prints. If this ever happens then USCIS will try to take fingerprints twice, and if FBI still couldn't read the fingerprints then applicant will be asked to submit Good Conduct Certificate from all the jurisdictions (places) for the last 5 years where applicant has resided. Police Clearance Certificate and Good Conduct Certificate are same thing but when PCC is called then it's for CP and when GCC is called then it's within the US for AOS. In both situations, applicant will need to go the Police station where s/he resides and has resided in the last 5 years and reqest this. In US, Police will take fingerprints and will check their record on the applicant to see if there is any criminal record on the person or not. They charge fees for this service and it takes a few days for them to furnish this reqest. At abroad...for PCC, fingerprints taken is depend on how that country's police do things. Some require fingerprints, others don't. Similarily, some require fees for this service, while others don't. PCC is mandatory for CP processing regardless of fingerprints are read or not by FBI computer, but GCC is asked to submit only when fingerpints are not read by FBI computer and when only specifically asked by USCIS to submit GCC.

(3) No, your mom does NOT need to wait 90 days to do the medical done; instead she should done it as soon as possible. Medical report remains good at least for a year. And as you know that a case for AOS processes within 4-6 months at most in the US. Besides, doing medical within 90 days is different than filing the application for AOS within 90 days of entering into the US on non-immigrant visa. So there is no need to wait even a day to do medical. It takes 3-6 days to have a medical report from the doctor because it takes time for blood test to come.

(4) It doesn't matter if I-94 gets expired, either during the process or even prior to that. Why? Because parents of US citizen are considered Immediate Relatives of US citizen under immigration law. And Immediate Relatives of US citizen are automatically forgiven for overstaying, working without authorization and other technical violations of immigration laws. So don't worry about your mom's I-94 to be expired.

(5) No, it will not be a problem at all if your mom is the only one wants to adjust her status and not your father. Just because your mom is married and has her husband (your father), that doesn't mean petitioner should apply for both persons. Many times some people don't want to immigrate to other contry even though their family would like to. And sometime it's because of medical reason. As for legal point of view, it will not matter at all. But just wondering why you are not sponsoring your father, and sponsoring only your mom? Do you think she would be able to live here in the US without her husband for that long? If you think (or planning) that she might just live here for a few months on green card and then go back to her home country then I want you to know that if she would do this for a few times then Customer officers at the airport would find this out sooner or later and then they will refuse her the entry and will take away her green card.

Answer to your questions-

(2) As for Police Clearance Certificate then it's for CP processing. During AOS, a Police Clearance Certificate is not needed because applicants' fingerprints are taken and send to FBI and other agencies to conduct a criminal background checks. However, sometime some people's fingerprints cannot be read by computer for various reasons...it could be because of scares on fingers or no readable things on prints. If this ever happens then USCIS will try to take fingerprints twice, and if FBI still couldn't read the fingerprints then applicant will be asked to submit Good Conduct Certificate from all the jurisdictions (places) for the last 5 years where applicant has resided. Police Clearance Certificate and Good Conduct Certificate are same thing but when PCC is called then it's for CP and when GCC is called then it's within the US for AOS. In both situations, applicant will need to go the Police station where s/he resides and has resided in the last 5 years and reqest this. In US, Police will take fingerprints and will check their record on the applicant to see if there is any criminal record on the person or not. They charge fees for this service and it takes a few days for them to furnish this reqest. At abroad...for PCC, fingerprints taken is depend on how that country's police do things. Some require fingerprints, others don't. Similarily, some require fees for this service, while others don't. PCC is mandatory for CP processing regardless of fingerprints are read or not by FBI computer, but GCC is asked to submit only when fingerpints are not read by FBI computer and when only specifically asked by USCIS to submit GCC.

Do you need police clearance from own country? some say yes some say not. And I thought it is because fingerprint is not illegible then UCIS asked you to get that certificate. Why do fingerprint again?

(3) No, your mom does NOT need to wait 90 days to do the medical done; instead she should done it as soon as possible. Medical report remains good at least for a year. And as you know that a case for AOS processes within 4-6 months at most in the US. Besides, doing medical within 90 days is different than filing the application for AOS within 90 days of entering into the US on non-immigrant visa. So there is no need to wait even a day to do medical. It takes 3-6 days to have a medical report from the doctor because it takes time for blood test to come.

Taking a medical exam means she has intent to apply right? I have scheduled the exam around 90 days just in case.

(4) It doesn't matter if I-94 gets expired, either during the process or even prior to that. Why? Because parents of US citizen are considered Immediate Relatives of US citizen under immigration law. And Immediate Relatives of US citizen are automatically forgiven for overstaying, working without authorization and other technical violations of immigration laws. So don't worry about your mom's I-94 to be expired.

I thought once you applied 485 your status become pending approval, not overstay?

(5) No, it will not be a problem at all if your mom is the only one wants to adjust her status and not your father. Just because your mom is married and has her husband (your father), that doesn't mean petitioner should apply for both persons. Many times some people don't want to immigrate to other contry even though their family would like to. And sometime it's because of medical reason. As for legal point of view, it will not matter at all. But just wondering why you are not sponsoring your father, and sponsoring only your mom? Do you think she would be able to live here in the US without her husband for that long? If you think (or planning) that she might just live here for a few months on green card and then go back to her home country then I want you to know that if she would do this for a few times then Customer officers at the airport would find this out sooner or later and then they will refuse her the entry and will take away her green card.

My father is still working. He will apply later.

Sponsoring parents and 90 Day Requirement

I am a U.S Citizen and my parents are on a B-1/B-2 Visitor visa and are currently in the U.S. They have visited the U.S more than 7 times in the past.

In the forums there are a lot of references to the 90 Day wait period. Is there a requirement that the Parents be in the U.S for atleast 90 Days before filing for a I-130/I-485 Concurrent processing Application.

Would a failure to follow the 90 day requirement cause the AOS/I-485 Application to be rejected.

I am a little concerned about this as I was not aware of this requirement before filing the I-130/I-485 Application for my parents.

Any advice on this is appreciated.

There is a risk of being accused of fraud and misrepresentation.

Is there a printed guideline somewhere about this 90 day limitation?

On one of the other website I was advised that it is advisable to wait for 60 days. My neighbor filed for his mother within 30 days and nothing happened - not even an RFE. If you look at it the other way, sponsors really start gathering all the documents (medical exam, birth certs, employment letters) etc. before 90 days. By looking at the dates of these documents one can easily notice the intention for AOS even if you may actually date the I-485 differently.