GC for Mother

Indian_girl

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My friend is filing a green Card for his mother but his Mother doesn't have a last name on her passport. She only has a First Name on her passport. When she was given a US Visa, the US Consulate in India put her Given Name as her First name and also her first name as her Last name. So she has been travelling to US with that for last five years. Does anyone know if that is going to cause any problem with her GC processing? What should he write for her last name when filling the forms? Can he leave it blank or should he write her First name as her Last name in the form? I am not sure if anyone else has been in the similar situation.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you so much.

On her US visa , they have put her first name as FNU(first name unknown) and for her lastname they have put her firstname. Her passport has only firstname in it.
Can he file her papers as FNU for her firstname and use her firstname as her lastname or should he put her firstname as firstname and use firstname also as her lastname? I am not sure what is the correct way of doing it and if it is going to cause any problems in the process along the way.
Thanks again for replying back to me. Your help is as always appreciated.

Seems to me the US visa is not a big deal. The important thing is all her other documents like marriage/birth certificate, your friend's birth certificate( which should have the mother's name) need to have the same name consistently.

Just my two cents.

I just re-read your post. Seems that even her passport identity page doesn't have the correct name. If that's the case, she should ask password issuance agency to correct it.