GC for Brother - Info needed

sumans25

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
I have following questions related to sposoring GC for brother (by USC):

1. As per my understansing I-130 form needs to be filed for brother. Do I need to file forms for Brother's wife/son also or just one form for brother ?
2. Do I need to file I-485 and other forms at the same time as I-130 or wait for I-130 approval + priority date to become current ?
3. If answer to 1) is just one form. When Brother's wife/son gets included in process ?
4. Is there any issue if Brother is in US at time of filing I-130 ? In my case, my Brother is in US on L1 visa for next 2 yrs.
5. Is there any step-by-step document/link which describes steps for filing GC for brother ?

Thanks for help.

-Suman

Last edited by a moderator:
A1: Just an I-130 for your brother.
A2: Nothing for the time being.
A3: Yes. Mention them in your brother's list of dependents.
A4: No
A5: Search this sub-forum.

1. As per my understansing I-130 form needs to be filed for brother. Do I need to file forms for Brother's wife/son also or just one form for brother ?
2. Do I need to file I-485 and other forms at the same time as I-130 or wait for I-130 approval + priority date to become current ?
3. If answer to 1) is just one form. When Brother's wife/son gets included in process ?
4. Is there any issue if Brother is in US at time of filing I-130 ? In my case, my Brother is in US on L1 visa for next 2 yrs.
5. Is there any step-by-step document/link which describes steps for filing GC for brother ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for answering my questions. One follow-up question:

6. Reading the instructions on USCIS website, looks like I don't need to file G-325A for my brother. Can you confirm ?

-Suman

Priority date must be current in order to file I-485.
No issue with him being in the US, as long as he is here in legal nonimmigrant status. He has to leave the US if his status expires before his PD becomes current.

Green Card for brother.

Hi! all,

I have received the letter from Los Angele immigration office for original birth certificate for my brother after 2 years of filling I-130. I have already sent the certificate. I didn't understand this process. Why they have requested and what next.

Please advise.

You sent the original BC? Good luck getting it back. Send them a letter explaining that you sent them the original BC 2 years ago.

I have received the letter from Los Angele immigration office for original birth certificate for my brother after 2 years of filling I-130. I have already sent the certificate. I didn't understand this process. Why they have requested and what next.

Please advise.

Most of the documents that are sent to USCIS become a permanent part of one's A-file. USCIS does ask for originals, but the trick is to send copies in the mail and show the originals at one's interview.

They won't return and what's the purpose of asking the original BC?

thanks. I will be more careful in the future.

Any way, One of my wife's case for her sister is being approved. I received the letter today and stated that they have send the case to NVC. Should I wait for the letter from the NVC or call them? or what next?

thanks. I will be more careful in the future.

Any way, One of my wife's case for her sister is being approved. I received the letter today and stated that they have send the case to NVC. Should I wait for the letter from the NVC or call them? or what next?
Priority date must be current before the consular activities will happen. So she likely has a number of years to wait before doing anything.