GC Approved - Want to attend college

TrinPrince

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I've used my immigration wait time to master computer graphics via self studing/freelancing etc., but its a personal goal to get my degree (BA).

Can anyone provide some information at all about programs that will aid GC holders in paying for college.

Any advice is appreciated
Trin

I don't think there are any programs to help GC holders to pay for college.

It's the same for all : have good grades and get an assistantship, take a loan, or have a job, or part-time student / part-time employee somewhere.

Some employers can pay for college for an employee, but it usually is for someone who is not a brand new hire.

Cats, thanks for the input.

I'll have to research further into this topic.

I know "fiancial aid" is available to gc holders in some institutions.

Admissions, fees, tutitions can be overwelming to a freshmen...

Thanks
Trin

TrinPrince said:
Hello,

I've used my immigration wait time to master computer graphics via self studing/freelancing etc., but its a personal goal to get my degree (BA).

Can anyone provide some information at all about programs that will aid GC holders in paying for college.

Any advice is appreciated
Trin

One thing to remember, if you have not lived in the same state for past one year most public schools will require to pay out of state or international fees even with a green card.

and in this case you should not enroll full-time in the first year, otherwise, you will still be considered an out-of-state student the next year as well.

Well, its been a few months...

I've hit the launch button and got tons of things done since attaining my GC.

I already enrolled @ my choice university & was accepted to work toward my compurter science Bachelor's degree.

Now I'm applying for the FAFSA (Free Applicaition for Federal Student Aid).

The good news is my EFC (Estimated Family Contribution) which is the amount I'll have to pay is 0.00.

The problem I'm havin is, on my SAR (Student Aid Report), it says:

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has not yet confirmed that you are an eligible noncitizen (Item 14). DHS will continue to check their records and we will notify you once we receive more information from them.

How could I not be a eligible noncitizen when my green card is the official one & not a conditional one. :confused:

Does anyone know how long DHS will take with this? :mad:

Thanks
Trin

Last edited by a moderator:
Same thing happen to me. I wouldnt worry about it because the college will verify income and ask for your GC. Then they will make the changes to the SAR.

Well, its been a few months...

I've hit the launch button and got tons of things done since attaining my GC.

I already enrolled @ my choice university & was accepted to work toward my compurter science Bachelor's degree.

Now I'm applying for the FAFSA (Free Applicaition for Federal Student Aid).

The good news is my EFC (Estimated Family Contribution) which is the amount I'll have to pay is 0.00.

The problem I'm havin is, on my SAR (Student Aid Report), it says:

How could I not be a eligible noncitizen when my green card is the official one & not a conditional one. :confused:

Does anyone know how long DHS will take with this? :mad:

Thanks
Trin

Hi:

Whether it is a conditional or unconditional GC is irrelevant - both holders are equally entitled to federal student aid. I suspect your name hasn't been added to the appropriate database or something yet. Keep bugging them.