GC approved and backdated question

taydawgg

Registered Users (C)
Got the welcome notice and then the green card next day. NSC seems moving fast now.
I haven't received any email notice yet.
Interestingly, they used my asylum approval date as my resident since date, which is more than 3 years backdated! Should I call to correct it?

Asylum Approved 2003
ND at NSC 04/17/04
Bio Code 3 Done on 12/16/05
Welcome notice 08/05/06
GC at hand 08/06/06
Backdated to 2003

well,do you no good to keep the wrong backdating( naturalisation officer gonna find out about it)...just go ahead and correct the mistake.

taydawgg said:
Got the welcome notice and then the green card next day. NSC seems moving fast now.
Interestingly, they used my asylum approval date as my resident since date, which is more than 3 years backdated! Should I call to correct it?

Asylum Approved 2003
ND at NSC 04/17/04
Welcome notice 08/05/06
GC at hand 08/06/06
Backdated to 2003

I would just bring it to their attention and let them take care of it. Keep records of the call if possible.

Aniket19 said:
I hope they have changed the law and using asylum approval date as resident since date :)
That would be great, yeah? I was hoping for the same too since this is the second post in a week about this (from 2 different people)

MGTgrl said:
That would be great, yeah? I was hoping for the same too since this is the second post in a week about this (from 2 different people)

Really, I have not heard anything about this... I wonder if this law is retroactive...i.e. can I do it if I already have a green card based on asylum...

vdostoi1 said:
Really, I have not heard anything about this... I wonder if this law is retroactive...i.e. can I do it if I already have a green card based on asylum...
I don't think it's a law. It's just wishful thinking. I hope it happens though :)

I hope the law has been changed. (I wish).
Because, visit tne USCIS web site for FAQ, Refugee/Asylee asjustment of status.
They changed the requirments and procedures.
1. No more G-325 / Biographic Info. forms requires with asylee adjustment applications.
2. Medical forms should be filed with I-485. No need to wait untill they call for it.

If the law has been changed we are eligible to become US citizens.
Am I wrong?

they make a lot of mistakes....

last time i got back in the U.S. (coming from canada) the immigration officer used a machine to stamp (on my new I-94) the date i was returning, and the date he entered says year 2099 - meaning i entered the country in the distant future...

:rolleyes:

go figure

Last edited by a moderator:
eljay said:
I hope the law has been changed. (I wish).
Because, visit tne USCIS web site for FAQ, Refugee/Asylee asjustment of status.
They changed the requirments and procedures.
1. No more G-325 / Biographic Info. forms requires with asylee adjustment applications.
2. Medical forms should be filed with I-485. No need to wait untill they call for it.

If the law has been changed we are eligible to become US citizens.
Am I wrong?

I don't see the link between the fact that asylees don't need to send their biography anymore and the date on the Green Card. we've seen two cases recently when folks received their GCs with the date when asylum was granted on them; but it could be just a co-insedence.

I would file for citizenship as per the date on GC. They will not figure it out, you would not do anything illegal and the story ends there. Just to make it smooth, I would go to some midwest state and apply there.

samird said:
I would file for citizenship as per the date on GC. They will not figure it out, you would not do anything illegal and the story ends there. Just to make it smooth, I would go to some midwest state and apply there.

When you apply for citiizenship, they pull your I-485 and related documents out of storage to verify that the information you provided on the N-400 is consistent with the records they have. Most people just get an RFE if the info does not match, but if they catch you in a lie, there is a slim chance that they could deny you citizenship simply for having an immoral character.

Get the date corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:
curiousGeorge said:
When you apply for citiizenship, they pull your I-485 and related documents out of storage to verify that the information you provided on the N-400 is consistent with the records they have. Most people just get an RFE if the info does not match, but if they catch you in a lie, there is a slim chance that they could deny you citizenship simply for having an immoral character.

Get the date corrected.

Agreed.

Taking advantage of the system will not be in your long term interest.

taydawgg said:

Asylum Approved 2003
ND at NSC 04/17/04
Welcome notice 08/05/06
GC at hand 08/06/06
Backdated to 2003

I Know some one who got his green card backdated to the date he entered the USA (10 years) he applied for citizen and he got it by the way i saw the GC my self, at the interview they found out the mistake but they let it go because it was thier mistake, i hope that helps

ashgajo said:
I Know some one who got his green card backdated to the date he entered the USA (10 years) he applied for citizen and he got it by the way i saw the GC my self, at the interview they found out the mistake but they let it go because it was their mistake, i hope that helps
usually the procedure don't go that way...If an immigration officer found backdating mistake ..he just denied the case.
double check ..your friend got to be refugee.

Hello guys

Let’s clarify something: once your asylum is approved and you’re eligible for the GC and once approved it is always backdated from the day you were originally granted the asylum status.
An asylee for immigration purposes is considered as an permanent resident from the moment the asylum is granted, unless he or she is precluded under the immigration law. Therefore, a GC derivated from asylum is always backdated.
I hope this clarifies the issue

Matumona said:
Hello guys

Let’s clarify something: once your asylum is approved and you’re eligible for the GC and once approved it is always backdated from the day you were originally granted the asylum status.
An asylee for immigration purposes is considered as an permanent resident from the moment the asylum is granted, unless he or she is precluded under the immigration law. Therefore, a GC derivated from asylum is always backdated.
best way is to play with the rule:asylee backdated one year..refugee backdated from day of entry.
anybody have a mistake ..he need to fixed...otherwise he may wise his time/money applying for citizenship.
Good luck.

my card is backdated one year

Matumona said:
Hello guys

are you saying that my card should be backdated from the day i got asylum?

if you are correct, what should i do?
ASYLUM APPROVED : JAN 2000
ND: FEB 2001
FP : MAY 2004
BIO : AUG 2005
APPROVED : AUG 16 2005
CARD RECEIVED ON AUG 22 2005
BACKDATED ONE YEAR

Matumona said:
Hello guys

WRONG.

jubilee said:
best way is to play with the rule:asylee backdated one year..refugee backdated from day of entry.
anybody have a mistake ..he need to fixed...otherwise he may wise his time/money applying for citizenship.
Good luck.

RIGHT.