GC Approved 05/14/2004.Welcome Notice on 05/10/2005,but Local office says I485 denied

crazy_newjersey

Registered Users (C)
My GC was approved a year ago and I had my passport stamped. I didn't get my Greencard and I have been following up on that. Finally on 05/10/2005, I received the Welcome Notice and when I went to the local office to restamp my passport, I'm told that their system indicates that my application was denied on 05/10/2005 and a communication was sent to me the same day. The only communication I got was the one for Welcome notice.
Has anybody been in the same situation as mine?
What do i do now?
Your inputs are appreciated..
Thanks

crazy_newjersey said:
My GC was approved a year ago and I had my passport stamped. I didn't get my Greencard and I have been following up on that. Finally on 05/10/2005, I received the Welcome Notice and when I went to the local office to restamp my passport, I'm told that their system indicates that my application was denied on 05/10/2005 and a communication was sent to me the same day. The only communication I got was the one for Welcome notice.
What do i do now?
Thanks

Maybe the local office got the case number wrong. Why don't you call CIS. There is option for approved cases. You can use that option to talk to an officer in VSC.

crazy_newjersey said:
What do i do now?
Thanks

Did you receive any approval notice (not welcome notice) in past? The reason I am asking because in past USCIS sent welcome notices for many cases which were not approved then. It was due a system glitch. I hope that is not the case for you.
Do you have an attorney?
Did you change your address in past (when I-485 was pending)?

If your case is really denied, then you need to find out the reason for denial. Normally you are supposed to request for motion-to-reopen within 30 days of denial. I guess you already have passed that timeframe. But in special circumstances your can file for MTR after 30 days (citing the confusion about your I-485 status).

Thanks for the inputs.. need more please..

Yes I did receive an approval notice before. Thats how I was able to go and get my passport stamped the first time in May2004. I have been following up on my Card since May 2004 and in March 2005, the Immigration official at the 1800 number told me that my file was accidentally sent to NRC without my card ordered or made and she said she is going to pull the file and send it to VSC. She also told me at that time that everything is fine and you will get your card in 2 months. God knows whats going on in VSC. I sent a expedite request and a G731V. I hate it..

You dont need a stamping again

I was approved after an interview in the local office last year. The officer didnt approve me right away. So I got the welcome letter and the GC later. When I went to the local office after, that they said I can't be stamped with the welcome letter and I need 485 approval letter. I never got the 485 approval letter. But they also said they can't stamp my passport after getting the card itself.

So don't worry you will get the card soon. No need to get the stamping again.

crazy_newjersey said:
Yes I did receive an approval notice before. Thats how I was able to go and get my passport stamped the first time in May2004. I have been following up on my Card since May 2004 and in March 2005, the Immigration official at the 1800 number told me that my file was accidentally sent to NRC without my card ordered or made and she said she is going to pull the file and send it to VSC. She also told me at that time that everything is fine and you will get your card in 2 months. God knows whats going on in VSC. I sent a expedite request and a G731V. I hate it..

Nowadays it's pretty unsual people waiting for card for that long period. I would advise you to call your service center and know exactly what the status of your I-485 is. If you have attorney, he/she can do it in your behalf. Stamping is seocndary thing, but first you need to make sure your I-485 is not denied. Try to reach VSC anyway you can - email/fax/phone/letter.

crazy_newjersey said:

I also had USCIS screw up my plastic card production. My I-485 was approved by NSC in March 2002. After getting my passport stampted and restamped at Chicago, nothing was happenning for 2 years. Apparently in my case my original I-89 data was lost either at Chicago or at the card production center (I did redo I-89 a year later). Either way everything went haywire after that. I called, I wrote, I filed G-731, etc. I visited the USCIS Chicago office multiple times trying to get some answers. The lies, the contradictions, the crap and the sheer incompetence that I have encountered were quite mind-boggling.

In March 2004 I wrote a letter to a local senator. His office got involved and, just like a miracle, I got my card in 10 days.

The lesson I drew from this is that, once something gets screwed up with your case, you absolutely cannot expect that USCIS will be able to fix it by themselves. In fact you should assume exactly the opposite: unless you get actively involved, your case will be languishing in a buractratic limbo for years and you'll become eligible for citizenship before your plastic card arrives.

So my advice to you is this. Start by writing detailed letters about your situation to both your senators and to the U.S. representative. If that does not help, hire a lawer.

Here is what i have done so far..

1. I sent a expedite fax to Vermont.
2. I sent the same expedite letter with copies of approval letter, welcome notice by overnight to vermont.
3. I sent an overnight G731V with postage paid self envelope
4. I called my congressman's office and explained the position. They are supposed to call me back monday or tuesday.
Lets see what happens. Its very very unfair that USCIS would give me the approval letter, stamp in my passport, then say its denied after a year.

Any input is always appreciated..
Thanks

The senator's office helped me sort out the issues...

and I got my passport stamped for 5 months.
So here is what apparently happened in my case.
USCIS approved my greencard without security clearance and I didn't get my card. When I called after 9 months they went over my case and actually denied my case, did security clearance and then re approved my case. Man.. Can you believe that. I should have waited until I got my card to open the champagne...or..citizenship...
Good luck everybody and thanks for your replies..
As always Thanks Rajiv Khanna..

Last edited by a moderator:
crazy_newjersey,

Is your GC approval family-based or employment-based?

Rich

crazy_newjersey said:

quick question crazy_nj

Do you know why they denied your application in the first place?

Thanks,
Spartakus

spartakus said:
Do you know why they denied your application in the first place?
-------------------- did you miss that in his post"USCIS approved my greencard without security clearance and I didn't get my card" read his earlier post
Thanks,
Spartakus

did you send expedite request to approve your case or for card???

crazy_newjersey said:
1. I sent a expedite fax to Vermont.
2. I sent the same expedite letter with copies of approval letter, welcome notice by overnight to vermont.
3. I sent an overnight G731V with postage paid self envelope
4. I called my congressman's office and explained the position. They are supposed to call me back monday or tuesday.
Lets see what happens. Its very very unfair that USCIS would give me the approval letter, stamp in my passport, then say its denied after a year.

Any input is always appreciated..
Thanks