Gay Asylum

GayGuy

Registered Users (C)
Hey all,
just thought i would start this thread to hear from other people who applied on sexual orientation grounds

I did. Back in Nov 2005

My case was approved 1 Year later.
My interview was incredibly smooth (cause my facts were impressive)
Asylee from Mexico. Took one large year for the approval (even thow I wasn;t not referred to a IJ) But the IO told me in the interview that my case was going to take long because I was from Mexico a country that supposse to have really good relations with the US and my case had to be sent to Washington Dc for approval and review.
Everytime I travel and come back to the US they look at my RTD and they can't believe I was granted asylum from MEXICO (weird) but IO and the POE never give me any shitt because they instantly know that my case had to be extremely strong in order to be granted asylum.

So I never had problems entering the US with my RTD but I am always sent to Secondary cause the first officer always look confused.

Oh well.

Hey all,
just thought i would start this thread to hear from other people who applied on sexual orientation grounds

I am a lesbian from Cameroon. I only knew that persecution based on sexual orientation is grounds for asylum in October, 2008 after I ran out of status and did not want to return because a warrant had been issued for my arrest in Cameroon, on sodomy charges. :mad: A friend told me could apply as I had equally suffered a lot in the past.
I shared my interview experience in another thread on this forum.
I think most LGBT people don't know that they can seek asylum based on that.

hey guys,
thanks for the responses. Tonton, I too did not know about LGBT asylum until it was almost too late. I managed to get it in just on time. I mentioned about my interview in another thread.Now I have to wait a few more days now for decision. just a question: Can you travel on an RTD before getting GC? I am wondering if it is wise and where yo can go?

I-589 filed 10/28/08
Bio 11/08/08
Interview 12/04/08
Decision- pick up 12/16/08

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys,
thanks for the responses. Tonton, I too did not know about LGBT asylum until it was almost too late. I managed to get it in just on time. I mentioned about my interview in another thread.Now I have to wait a few more days now for decision. just a question: Can you travel on an RTD before getting GC? I am wondering if it is wise and where yo can go?

I-589 filed 10/28/08
Bio 11/08/08
Interview 12/04/08
Decision- pick up 12/16/08

Yes, you can travel with RTD before getting GC. See
http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/AsylumTravel122706FS.pdf
Never you go to your country of persecution. Bad decision.

Thanks a lot for the valuable information. 4 days to go and my nerves are going crazy although I am trying to not show it.

Good Luck with your interview...mine went smooth and I got the response in about 3 months but that was 10 years ago. I hope is faster now....

1 day to go

hey guys,
i am nervous like crazy. I go for my decision tomorrow. i feel good but at the same time nervous. i need some good luck

Thye also told me to go back in a few weeks and when I went to pick up a decision they told me that I had to wait for it to be mailed out and it turned into a whole long YEAR!!!
So don't hold your breath!!

Hey Guys and Girls,
I am so happy right now. I went to pick up my decision today and I have been approved. i am so grateful for my new life. For the others who are still waiting keep the faith.

I-589 Filed 10/28/08
Biometrics 11/08/08
Interview 12/04/08
Decision 12/05/08 Asylum granted
Eligible I-485 12/05/09

Awesome! I am happy for you! I have 41 more hours to go! I am nervous but what will be will be!

Hey Guys and Girls,
I am so happy right now. I went to pick up my decision today and I have been approved. i am so grateful for my new life. For the others who are still waiting keep the faith.

I-589 Filed 10/28/08
Biometrics 11/08/08
Interview 12/04/08
Decision 12/05/08 Asylum granted
Eligible I-485 12/05/09

Hey!! Congratulations! I got my Asylum based on sexual orientation as well! Did you get a Final Approval or a Recommended Approval? Mine was at the Lyndhurst office in NJ.

asylum

Hey Tonton and the others,
keep the faith. Let us know.Also I got a final approval in the NYC office. 353 days to my GC

(deleted by moderator and infraction has been given to user.... comment is unacceptable).... :D;):eek:

They also ask you to perform tongue to tongue kissing for a duration of 5 minutes during the interview.... :D;):eek:

That is really mature, Lazer"thegreat." If I remember correctly, you have made homophobic remarks like this in the past as well regarding asylum based on sexual orientation. Your comments eventually were deleted but not after much ridicule was added on by other members of this forum.

Well let me tell you that it is NOT a joke and it is NOT funny. Millions of people suffer persecution at the hands of their governments, police, and other groups due to their orientation or their perceived orientation. Many are killed and or badly hurt.

Even here in the US, ONE out of every FOUR youth suicide attempts are by lesbian, gay, and transgender kids because of being bullied by other kids and supposed adults like you. You may try and save face by saying that you were only joking...but you are an adult (at least I'm hoping you are). You make impressions on other people, (ie your kids, your friends kids etc.) So please think of what you are saying. If you do not think you are wrong, then take your homophobia and bigotry elsewhere. These kind of comments are not welcome.

Seems like Lazerhead is still in the closet and thats why out of the closet Gay people are so threating to him......he is afraid to be OUTED!!!!

With every right comes some kind of responsibility. When I thought of starting this thread I thought of emotional support for others like myself who were going through the horrors of asylum. Please people continue to support each other and let us not go down into the pits.You do not have to accept my or other people's sexual orientation but there is something called respect.For the other asylum applicants out there I just want you to feel supported and to realize that it is persecution like homophobia that we are all trying to escape.