FYI - Stopped by Border Patrol

rawager

Registered Users (C)
This is fyi only.

Over the last weekend (Columbus day) 10/8 -10/11 I was up in VT doing a fall foliage tour/vacation with my wife and two other couples. We were on I-91 S returning back from the trip at about 3:30 PM. There was a road block by US Border Patrol. Every vehicle was supposed to stop like, at a stop sign.
In some cases the officer would come and ask some questions. I was one of them - probably my skin color prompted him to come to me.

I rolled down my window and he asked if we were citizens. No. I replied. He asked where we were from. India, I replied. He asked if could he could see our Green Card, Passport, Visa, or any other immigration document. I said I am a GC holder and I tried to find my Card in my Wallet. I could not find it. He asked the same questions to my wife and then individually to my friend and his wife. They said they have a Visa, but did not have it on them at that moment.

I offered to show my DL. He said, he did not want to see it - only immigration papers. At that I said, I do not understand his request as I am travelling within the country and I don't need immigration papers. He politely corrected me saying that unders US law XXXX and xxx, all non-citizens are required to carry valid immigration papers on person at all time. The penalty for not doing that is a $100 fine or 30 days jail or both. He then asked me, "you did not know that, did you?" I said no. He said he is not surprised. But he mentioned that he is surprised that a lot of people did not know this and do not carry required documents.

He then mentioned that he cannot fine me at that minute because he is waiting for the 'receipt book' to arrive and he did not expect it until late in the day. So for a moment, I thought he was going to detain us until such time... but to our relief, he said he have let us go.

This is the first time I have seen or experienced this in 7+ years of my residence in this country. I was calm and not nervous (probably b'coz I had my GC) but I can see how some of us might get very nervous and panic.

To my friends here. Make sure you carry some kind of immigration document with you all the time. GC, EAD, Passport, approval notice of VISA etc. to avoid any unnecessary delays and or pains.

.....R

Wow!! I couldnt believe this is happening here in US... In Europe (most of the countries) , they expect you to carry ur immigration letter/document with u..

Did they tell you why this random inspection occurring?

~Mad

Rawager,
Did you showed him valid driver's license? This is a general "Valid Photo ID Proof" most of the time people ask for...I have no clue why the **** they ask for other IDs these days..... Thanks for sharing the experience

Magician said:
Did you showed him valid driver's license? This is a general "Valid Photo ID Proof" most of the time people ask for

Under US law, you must carry your I-94s (if you have them) with you at all times. If you are a Permanent Resident, your GC.

This has happened to my friend 2 months ago. They have grilled him for more than 1/2 hour ( he had all his stuffs with him, EAD AP I94 etc)

This is mainly for the people who are entering Vermont from Canada, but, unfortunately who ever is travelling on that road will be caught.

thanks for sharing the info.

TheRealCanadian said:
Under US law, you must carry your I-94s (if you have them) with you at all times. If you are a Permanent Resident, your GC.

Yes, that is INA 264(e). Any non-citizen must be able to produce a document for his/her immigration status at anyplace, anytime in USA.

a copy will also do

One of my colleague, who is a GC holder, got stopped by a police officer years ago and was asked to show her immigration paper. She didn't have her GC with her. The officer let her go because she told him that she did not want to lose the GC and she tends to lose her wallet all the time. But the officer told her to carry a copy of GC next time and the law requires the non-citizen to carry the paper.

This happened long before 1998...

hakoonamataata said:
I believe it is a law.
I remember some other people in the forums reporting similar cases when they were returning from VT
service center. Remember the last few days just before VSC closed down its walk-in window?
I believe this patrol check has been there for a while.

Look for hadron's post in http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=138896

CS001 said:
One of my colleague, who is a GC holder, got stopped by a police officer years ago and was asked to show her immigration paper. She didn't have her GC with her. The officer let her go because she told him that she did not want to lose the GC and she tends to lose her wallet all the time. But the officer told her to carry a copy of GC next time and the law requires the non-citizen to carry the paper.

This happened long before 1998...

This is non-sense what is difference between GC holder and citizen. Just the card . For the both the people INS take finger prints.

To things the potraying the raceisum. WE have rights to sue the people as harrasing.

I dont know ...why they behaved like stupids?

How to they verify if US citizen is really a US citizen??

By law all non-us citizens should carry proper docs.... agreed.

This means US citizen need not carry any docs to prove he is US citizen, his word is enough or rather his color of skin is enough!! BUT how do officers prove at that moment if person who is in question is really a US citizen?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I had similar experience and what the police officer said about penalty and jail that is right. I was told by immigration people that we (foreign nationals) are supposed to carry all immigration papers all the time. Then one of my friend who was really angry after this incident asked them "so we are supposed to carry passport-visa etc when we go to grocery store?" the answer was "YES". :mad:

Same thing happened to my friend and family

2 months back while driving back from VT on the highway, the border patrol officer stopped by friend and asked him for proof of green card. He said he did not carry with him after the officer inquired about everyone's status, he let them go. Stating that it is essential for immigrants to carry their documentation at all time. Even though the law has not been strictly enforced, they advise you to carry it with you. At that point i thought this is the only family that was targeted, i guess not.

Also, if you are having desi babysitter with you...be careful they can detain you if she does not have any proper documentation.

abc13 said:
Do you if a copy of these I-94/Visa docs is enough?

Thx

Legally not. Legally, you must carry original.
But depends on the officer and the agency. Some officer may accept photocopy.

GCBeast said:
This means US citizen need not carry any docs to prove he is US citizen, his word is enough a US citizen??

No, US citizen does not need to carry any form of ID document always. Word is enough? Yes, as long as it is satisfactory to officer. However, if officer is not satisfied, oficer can go farther - asking for residence address, phone number, employer etc etc etc. Or even enquiry later.

GCBeast said:
rather his color of skin is enough!!

Legally not enough.

GCBeast said:
BUT how do officers prove at that moment if person who is in question is really a US citizen??

Officer does not need to prove it. As long it's not suspecious and the answers are satisfactory - that's good enough.

GC holder cannot vote, US government reserves the right to take away your GC and US government also has no obligation to protect you overseas.

canus_immi said:
This is non-sense what is difference between GC holder and citizen. Just the card . For the both the people INS take finger prints.

To things the potraying the raceisum. WE have rights to sue the people as harrasing.

I dont know ...why they behaved like stupids?

Our HR manager also told me the same thing when she handed me the I-94 card for my H-1B years ago...

pibo said:
I had similar experience and what the police officer said about penalty and jail that is right. I was told by immigration people that we (foreign nationals) are supposed to carry all immigration papers all the time. Then one of my friend who was really angry after this incident asked them "so we are supposed to carry passport-visa etc when we go to grocery store?" the answer was "YES". :mad:

canus_immi said:
This is non-sense what is difference between GC holder and citizen.

The different is one is immigrant and another is citizen (the people of this land).

canus_immi said:
For the both the people INS take finger prints.

Citizens don't have obligation to provide finger prints.

canus_immi said:

Racism? In what way?
I believe in borderless world. But rasicm? I don't buy that argument.

pibo said:
Then one of my friend who was really angry after this incident asked them "so we are supposed to carry passport-visa etc when we go to grocery store?" the answer was "YES". :mad:

No, you don't need to carry passport ever. Take out the I-94 from passport and keep it with your drivers license. That's enough.