Full page ad in NY times today

gcby2020

Registered Users (C)
FYI,

For all those who do not have access to NY times, there a was a full page ad brought out group of Korean Associations and others supporting the McCain-Kennedy bill as a first step to fix the broken US immigration system. Hats off to the sponsorers of the ad for bringing out the issue of immigration to the forefront. The only way we will win the battle will be by educating the lay Americans about this. For better or for worse, our struggle is intricately linked with that of the illegal immigrants. Increase in the number of green cards will happen when they see 10 million poeple will have to wait for 30 years to get their GC under the current quota of 140K GCs per year.

We need to bring out a similar ad in wall street journal.

My struggle is not linked to the illegal aliens at all. If I was going pay an article, it would be to request the Employment Base provisions to be passed. The McCain/Kennedy bill incorporated this into his bill to try to make this illegal alien amnesty look more attractive, but that has the primary intention to favor people who broke the immigration laws. That is pissing off lots of Americans and I am out of there.

gcby2020 said:
FYI,

For all those who do not have access to NY times, there a was a full page ad brought out group of Korean Associations and others supporting the McCain-Kennedy bill as a first step to fix the broken US immigration system. Hats off to the sponsorers of the ad for bringing out the issue of immigration to the forefront. The only way we will win the battle will be by educating the lay Americans about this. For better or for worse, our struggle is intricately linked with that of the illegal immigrants. Increase in the number of green cards will happen when they see 10 million poeple will have to wait for 30 years to get their GC under the current quota of 140K GCs per year.

We need to bring out a similar ad in wall street journal.

Illegal Vs Legal

Very carefull people.

Americans are still generally MOSTLY for LEGAL immigration, they are aware that we bring needed brains and money to keep the US economy at the cutting edge.
They are MOSTLY turning against ILLEGAL immigration. They are growing increasingly frustrated about the lack of homeland security it is causing and the depression of blue collar wages.
We have to be careful not to get caught up in this trap. Otherwise we will all get painted with the same brush and it will make our situation more difficult.

The plight of legal immigrants is not on anybody's mind at this time and neither is it going to be till political atmosphere is built up for comprehensive immigration reforms. Right now we will have to be happy with some band aids like recapturing unused visas. What will that do? Maybe it will benefit applicants like me who have been waiting since 2001. But what about those who have applied in 2003 onwards? They will have to wait a decade if the number of GCs are not increased. And for that reason McCain-Kennedy is still the best bet for us at this time.

If family members are exempted from visa number headcounts, I think that would be a solid relief for years to come ? Think about, 2.5 * 140,000.00.

gcby2020 said:
The plight of legal immigrants is not on anybody's mind at this time and neither is it going to be till political atmosphere is built up for comprehensive immigration reforms. Right now we will have to be happy with some band aids like recapturing unused visas. What will that do? Maybe it will benefit applicants like me who have been waiting since 2001. But what about those who have applied in 2003 onwards? They will have to wait a decade if the number of GCs are not increased. And for that reason McCain-Kennedy is still the best bet for us at this time.

I urge you to read McCain bill carefully again. In its current form it will provide help only to EB3 world. EB3 india and china may benefit by insignificant amount and EB1 and EB2 India will be a dream. Please do not support any bill without knowing what it proposes.

Hats offf to these guys !

Hats off to these guys for putting an ad. However , I feel they must be wanting to support legal immigration but mistakenly ended up supporting McCain bill. If anyone has their contact email, we should advice them to discuss the issues facing legal immigrants and not support these bill blindly.

How about bringing out an ad in wall street journal highlighting the plight of legal immigrants? Writing letters to senators helps but its impact remains doubtful. Whereas to appealing to US business leaders and university deans directly through a ad in WSJ will go long way.

I had started a thread urging everyone to put a half-page ad and defining exactly the problem that "legal" immigrants are facing (retrogression related). I also outlined how it could be affordable by all of us pitching in a little and how most would be willing to pitch in since most are being pinched by retrogression. But it fell on deaf ears....

Another sad part is that there was no mention of removing the "same or similar job title" restriction. That would have made such a big difference in getting out of the bonded labor situation we are stuck in.

Its ironic that there are so many labor laws protecing the employees in this country BUT they cannot see through the fact that restricting "legal" immigrants by forcing them to stay with the same employer or with the same type of job, they have openend and encouraged a new era of bonded indentured labor...its so freakin outlandish that the only way to explain it could be some high-level conspiratorial collaboration to squeeze immigrants while at the same time sustaining the nations economy...

The impact of the ad is to educate both the senators and lay public. Whenever I tell Americans as to how ridiculous their immigration system is, they are genuinely angry and often remark how come we are not aware about this. And this holds true for 90% of Americans. The laws have remained the way they are is simply because somehow the system has been chugging along.

In the ad we could ask the following questions:

1) The legality of country specific quota. It is illegal for the employers to consider ethnicity and race when they hire. Then what is the rationale for employment based GCs to be divided up along origin birth. Would any American would like to be treated by anurse or a doctor who has been hired not because of his or her merit but based on their ethnicity? I have asked this question to many Americans and they are livid about this ridiculous division of Gcs along country lines.

2) Already we have gone through DOL scrutinised labor certification which demonstrates the need for foreign workers in the country. We are not taking away American jobs. Then why should there be this arbitrary quota of 140K. This is only hurting American Universities and industries by driving away US trained professionals to American competitors.

3) Current discussion in Canada, UK and rest of Europe senates and parliaments is how to attract and retain foreign talent.

US IMMIGRATION POLICIES ARE HURTING US UNIVERSITIES AND INDUSTRIES WITH SIGNIFICANT LONG TERM IMPLICATIONS ON THE OVERALL HEALTH OF US ECONOMY.

If we run full page ads in WSJ, it will work wonders. We should rope in all the Indian, CHinese and Filipino organizations. Also get the support of recpective caucuses in the Senate.

MAybe we should approach competeamerica to take the lead.

I definitely think it will make a large impact. The bottom line is that as a result of legal employment based immigration, both the immigrants AND the country's economy benefits. Were are not asking for a handout here. The majority of americans are sensitive to these sorts of arguments, especially since so many of them are fed up of the entitlement programs and the entitlement crowd.

Those Anti Immigrant folks need to really think about the economic impact of what they are advocating. It is a short sighted effort based on fear of healthy competition rather than truly a belief that it is in America's interest.
How sane would it be if the 300K or so prospective legal immigrants end up being forced to leave this country and do so with their skills and savings. Even at a conservative estimate of 100K savings each we are talking billions of dollars. The economic effect with the ripple effect of this on everything from real estate values in metro areas to salaries and inflation will be harsh and above all unnecessary. Many people are aware of this, they will not kick us out, only thing is they realise too that this country is a magnet and they want the best deal possible out of us, hence these sort of restrictions.

Well... I wont re-hash my arguments about why a full-page ad in an elite publication (Washington Post/ NYT/TIMES/Economist) will be beneficil. The reasons are too obvious.

Instead I will focus on the content of such ads. The content should cover some of the inequities and injustice in the political and legal engine:

1) The cornerstone should be to give light to the plight of "Legal" immigrants.
2)Maybe show a comparison of how "easy" it is for illegal immigrants and compare to how law-abiding and hardworking legal immigants are
3) Yet how (historically) illegal immigrant are the ones granted blanket amnesty (like in 1986, sometime in 1990 and in 2001). Currently a legal immigrant would be in this country for 15 years or so and can get deported on some mere techniclaity. An illegal immigrant can stay....well....for ever.
4) How no one hears any complaints (or cries of help) of illegal immigrants since they are not as large a group as illegal immigants and dont have a big direct or indirect electorate base (like latinos).
5) How drawn out the legal immigration process is and how patient legal immigrants are and how they are squeezed by unfair requirements (e.g., inability or change employers and/or careers for years) and how it is an invitation for employers to "legally" violate all the precepts of labor laws and hold "legal immigrants" in literal indentured labor. Make an open call for the department of labor and as what provisions they have made in the labor laws to address potential exploitation arising out of such issues. What are the rights (if any) of an "legal" Immigrant. from what I know he cant even sue the employer since he will be deported due to lack of status (due to his employer firing him) before he even files the lawsuit.
5a) How the long waits does not allow "legal" employees to change careers or jobs or even go back to full time school, effectively discriminating against them by holding their life in limbo.
6) Highlight the fact that "illegal immigrants" are granted amnesty at the cost of legal immigrants. LIke the 245i initiative that allowed illegals to apply for work permits and they ate up the quota for legal immigrants creating serious backlog issues (especialy for EB3).
7) Cite opinions lof people like Bill Gatesand otheres who have spoken in favor of (legal) immigration and its importance to the countrys economy
8) Highlight some of the "self-perpetuating" inefficiencies in the legal process. One e.g. is the issuance of EAD and AP for pending applications and the requirement of their yearly renewal which in turns creates a tremendous workload for every pending application which in turn results in more pending applications.
9) Highlight some of the waits int he "secirity clearance" or "name check" process and how it can cause inordinate delays while at the same creating a security risk by giving questionable applicants the luxury of time to do their dirty deeds.
10) The insensitivity of the immigration machine and their lack of customer service to the plight of legal immigrants whose fees (mostly) keep the machine running. Maybe show some of the actual rude responses people have received from the immigration officers.
11) How legal immigrants have to suffer from having to live apart from family member because of technicalities in the immigration process.
9) Put some faces t our plight. People who are willing to volunteer. Or people who have got their green card after VERY long waits or a diffcult struggle caused by deficiencies nt he immigration process. Ho faces of family membrers who have had to live apart.
10) Lastly but most importantly hghlight the retrogression and how it can create additonal waits over the years that people have already waited, now allow people to file for EAD/AP, not allow family members to look for employment, letting people get trapped in jobs for years. And suggest solutions for retrogression: recapture of visas, not counting family members, no "smilar job itle and job description" requirement, etc. etc.

Well know I have written all this but it will fall on deaf ears. Guys, we dont have an electorate base to persuade the politicians BUT WHAT WE DO HAVE IS MONEY (I THINK). Lets say some 1000 people in the forum are affected by and care about the effects of retrogression. Even if we contribute $50 each, we will have $50000 which I think can cover the cost of an advertiselment. If the number is not 1000 and 500 instead, I am willing to pay $100 (or more) if I can get my voice heard). And we can persuade others who are not on the forum to join and then contribute. This is a small price to pay for removing years of wait.

what do you think? Shoudl we set up a fund on this site, ask for Rajivs cooperation and then maybe find an Indian working in advertisement field to draft a nice sensational ad?

We shuld select someone with good leadership skills. Like Berkeleybee to head the efforts.

Comments?

Santosh

Count me in. I can contribute up to $200 if necessary. The key is to find a person to organize this. It may not be that easy. Any volunteers???

santosh_30 said:
Well... I wont re-hash my arguments about why a full-page ad in an elite publication (Washington Post/ NYT/TIMES/Economist) will be beneficil. The reasons are too obvious.

Instead I will focus on the content of such ads. The content should cover some of the inequities and injustice in the political and legal engine:

1) The cornerstone should be to give light to the plight of "Legal" immigrants.
2)Maybe show a comparison of how "easy" it is for illegal immigrants and compare to how law-abiding and hardworking legal immigants are
3) Yet how (historically) illegal immigrant are the ones granted blanket amnesty (like in 1986, sometime in 1990 and in 2001). Currently a legal immigrant would be in this country for 15 years or so and can get deported on some mere techniclaity. An illegal immigrant can stay....well....for ever.
4) How no one hears any complaints (or cries of help) of illegal immigrants since they are not as large a group as illegal immigants and dont have a big direct or indirect electorate base (like latinos).
5) How drawn out the legal immigration process is and how patient legal immigrants are and how they are squeezed by unfair requirements (e.g., inability or change employers and/or careers for years) and how it is an invitation for employers to "legally" violate all the precepts of labor laws and hold "legal immigrants" in literal indentured labor. Make an open call for the department of labor and as what provisions they have made in the labor laws to address potential exploitation arising out of such issues. What are the rights (if any) of an "legal" Immigrant. from what I know he cant even sue the employer since he will be deported due to lack of status (due to his employer firing him) before he even files the lawsuit.
5a) How the long waits does not allow "legal" employees to change careers or jobs or even go back to full time school, effectively discriminating against them by holding their life in limbo.
6) Highlight the fact that "illegal immigrants" are granted amnesty at the cost of legal immigrants. LIke the 245i initiative that allowed illegals to apply for work permits and they ate up the quota for legal immigrants creating serious backlog issues (especialy for EB3).
7) Cite opinions lof people like Bill Gatesand otheres who have spoken in favor of (legal) immigration and its importance to the countrys economy
8) Highlight some of the "self-perpetuating" inefficiencies in the legal process. One e.g. is the issuance of EAD and AP for pending applications and the requirement of their yearly renewal which in turns creates a tremendous workload for every pending application which in turn results in more pending applications.
9) Highlight some of the waits int he "secirity clearance" or "name check" process and how it can cause inordinate delays while at the same creating a security risk by giving questionable applicants the luxury of time to do their dirty deeds.
10) The insensitivity of the immigration machine and their lack of customer service to the plight of legal immigrants whose fees (mostly) keep the machine running. Maybe show some of the actual rude responses people have received from the immigration officers.
11) How legal immigrants have to suffer from having to live apart from family member because of technicalities in the immigration process.
9) Put some faces t our plight. People who are willing to volunteer. Or people who have got their green card after VERY long waits or a diffcult struggle caused by deficiencies nt he immigration process. Ho faces of family membrers who have had to live apart.
10) Lastly but most importantly hghlight the retrogression and how it can create additonal waits over the years that people have already waited, now allow people to file for EAD/AP, not allow family members to look for employment, letting people get trapped in jobs for years. And suggest solutions for retrogression: recapture of visas, not counting family members, no "smilar job itle and job description" requirement, etc. etc.

Well know I have written all this but it will fall on deaf ears. Guys, we dont have an electorate base to persuade the politicians BUT WHAT WE DO HAVE IS MONEY (I THINK). Lets say some 1000 people in the forum are affected by and care about the effects of retrogression. Even if we contribute $50 each, we will have $50000 which I think can cover the cost of an advertiselment. If the number is not 1000 and 500 instead, I am willing to pay $100 (or more) if I can get my voice heard). And we can persuade others who are not on the forum to join and then contribute. This is a small price to pay for removing years of wait.

what do you think? Shoudl we set up a fund on this site, ask for Rajivs cooperation and then maybe find an Indian working in advertisement field to draft a nice sensational ad?

We shuld select someone with good leadership skills. Like Berkeleybee to head the efforts.

Comments?

Santosh

If we can get support from chinese and filipino orgnaisations, it will be all the more credible. After all India, China and Phillipines supply over 80% of highly skilled profressionals.

Well....to begin with...how about start a thread to take a poll on who will suppport and how much they would be willing to contribute. We may need even less than 500 people....maybe....can someone start such a thread and put in in the "sticky" section with Rajivs or administrators approval?

And how about finding out how much an ad costs in NY times/Times/WSJ? Any ideas?

I just wrote a email to competeamerica asking for their support. Lets see what happens. We can email to wsj asking them how much does it cost to place a full page ad.

GCBY

That is an excellent suggestion. Competeamerica has gotten an orgnizational engine going. We shoudl piggyback on that. What this forum can do is be a hub for people to enlist their support and create a fund to pay for the ads.
Competeamerica can bring in the leadership required and we will collect the funds. Yes?

Santosh

Just looked up in WSJ advertising section. They have quoted a price tag of $184,561.92 for full page ad in US edition. Will we able to collect that amount. According to me it should be very easy. But then you never know.