Frustrating start N-400

Crazy57

Registered Users (C)
I’m in Portland, OR and here is my history so far.

N-400 filed on April 11 (mailed to Phoenix)
Notice of Action received on April 13 - wow, I thought I’m on a fast track.

Well, nothing happened and after 2 weeks I called the 1-800 number and the officer told me I should receive the fingerprint invitation within a month after receiving the Notice of Action and I should call if it doesn’t happen. Guess what: nothing happened and on May 15 I called again only to be told that I should receive the fingerprint letter within 15 days from this call. That’s today and still nothing. Checking the timeline for Portland I saw that others got the fingerprint letter within 2 weeks from filing the N-400. And their checks were cashed within a week from filing. My check hasn’t cleared yet after more than 6 weeks from filing.

I will call again tomorrow, but I’m afraid I will be told again to wait.

Has anybody else gone through such a frustrating sequence?

Thanks,
Crazy57

That's normal with Phoenix

Hi Crazy57,

That appears to be the normal operation at Phoenix. I had a very similar experience, after 30 days opened a Service Request, was asked to wait 15 days and then at the end of 14 days I called and was told that they have just sent me a letter for fingerprinting. And sure enough, in 4 days time I got the letter. And instead of getting the standard 15 days for FP, I got just about a week. And so I scurried and got my FP done. Now, hopefully there will be no major issues for interview dates etc.

Hang in there, call after your last waiting period is done. They are very slow for whatever reason.

Good luck!

No choice other that wait I guess.

What’s an infopass? Couldn’t find out, but it seems to be a way to bypass the standard process when it’s stuck. Could anybody explain please?
Thanks,
Crazy57

Forget about infopass. I googled it. Even USCIS calls it InfoPass, I thought it's jargon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess what: finger print appointment letter arrived today. Unfortunately appointment is 3 weeks from now.
My question: could I try to go and have the FP done sooner? I think I read about this possibility while browsing the threads, but could not find that post anymore. Please advise.

Thanks,
Crazy57

Sure, it's called a walk-in appointment, go for it if it's convenient for you to go to the DO.

They must have cashed your check by now, right?

Yes, my check was cashed few good weeks ago, it’s just the automated phone service that did not recognize the electronically processed ones (I don’t do online banking, but went to the bank and they told me).

Do I need to provide a good reason for it? Being impatient not good enough?

No luck with walk-in at FP today

The officer told me I need a serious reason to do a walk-in and I haven't had one. Saying I simply wanted to speed up the proces didn't help. This was right at the opening in the morning and there were other 8-10 people in line. Maybe that matters too.
Now the question is: who's going to be there tomorrow, same officer or somebody else, because I would try it again.

There's no guarantee that it speeds up the process. So your FP gets done 2 weeks sooner, but you may spend 2 extra weeks waiting for your interview letter. This is a process that takes 4-5 months in total. Since you got denied once, just sit tight and wait your turn like everyone else.

I too running into the same issue. Application was submitted 42 days ago (see signature) no fingerprint notification... Can you please let me know the number to call for requesting a fingerprint?

In July I'll be out of country for 3 weeks and worried if the fingerprint letter/date will fall when I'm off.

TIA!

rjackal, I’m OK with 4-5 months, but based on how my start looks when compared to others, I’m afraid I’m on a slow track and I would do whatever I can to speed it up.

I'm with Portland, OR and they show 5 months, but I saw few lucky Portlanders who had the FP scheduled within a month from sending the N-400, while I'm scheduled for FP a bit over 2 months after.

Relax or go study Civics or something

I'm with Portland, OR and they show 5 months, but I saw few lucky Portlanders who had the FP scheduled within a month from sending the N-400, while I'm scheduled for FP a bit over 2 months after.

That is really irrelevant nowadays. Most scanned fingerprints process in under 24 hrs.

There are other behind the scenes considerations controlling the process (everything from staffing levels at a particular office (including Service Centers and NBC) to other mundane logistics from computer glitches, power outages, water main breaks, mandatory previously scheduled training, or bad weather office closures). Also application and petition volumes vary on a daily basis and fluctuate in cycles and seasonally but the overall average processing is spread out at as steady a pace as they can manage. Spend your time more productively than needlessly worrying about something you cannot control or significantly influence (except in a negative way by rescheduling or missing appointments). Relax.

Found at: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=e7801c2c9be44210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

e-Request Upgrade adds Error Reporting & Appointment Inquiry Features

Effective May 11, 2012, USCIS e-Request will undergo two system updates:

Customers will be able to notify USCIS of typographical errors on their immigration benefit documents (e.g., employment authorization documents, permanent residence cards).
In addition, customers will be able to inquire about Application Support Center appointments not received for I-90 and N-400 applications.

Last updated:05/11/2012

Folks,

Yesterday (June 05 '12 ) raised a ticket with USCIS for not receiving a FP notice. Today my status has changed online to 'On June 6, 2012, we mailed you an appointment notice to have your fingerprints taken...........'

May be it's our (applicant's) responsibility to keep reminding USCIS to process our application...;)

Last edited by a moderator: