FRRO registration needed for minor PIO holders too?

teacher2003

Registered Users (C)
Hi
I am thinking of keeping PIO for my minor kids(below 4yrs) i.e. not convert to OCI. I am confused about FRRO registration every 6 mos. Someone in Indian embassy told me that FRRO is needed for all i.e above and below 18yrs of age.

However, people on this board have stated that FRRO is not needed for minors. I am inclined to believe embassy staffer, but again Indian beaurcrats are not always thorough in answering questions, so I have some doubts. Can someone clarify, please

Hi
I am thinking of keeping PIO for my minor kids(below 4yrs) i.e. not convert to OCI.
------------I prefer to get the kids also OCI if I am getting OCI and I will not care for $145

I am confused about FRRO registration every 6 mos. Someone in Indian embassy told me that FRRO is needed for all i.e above and below 18yrs of age.
-----------Children below 16 years of age do not require Registration, on any type of VISA. Children with PIO below age 16 also dont need Registration with FRRO
However, people on this board have stated that FRRO is not needed for minors.
----------that is correct
I am inclined to believe embassy staffer, but again Indian beaurcrats are not always thorough in answering questions, so I have some doubts. Can someone clarify, please

http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/

Hi
I am thinking of keeping PIO for my minor kids(below 4yrs) i.e. not convert to OCI. I am confused about FRRO registration every 6 mos. Someone in Indian embassy told me that FRRO is needed for all i.e above and below 18yrs of age.

However, people on this board have stated that FRRO is not needed for minors. I am inclined to believe embassy staffer, but again Indian beaurcrats are not always thorough in answering questions, so I have some doubts. Can someone clarify, please

It is not very clear whether it is required or not. The fact is that you hear different answers from different people.
There have cases where departing minors have been asked for FRRO registration and departure declaration by Indian Immigration when leaving India after a presence of more than 6 months. Google it for specific cases.
My suggestion is to get FFRO registration done before expiry of 6 months and get departure declaration when leaving India. FRRO registration can be done at any DSP level police station.

There is one correction in your post I need to point - The FRRO registration is done only ONCE for each stay over 6 months and NOT EVERY 6 months.
So you need to register once every time you visit India and plan to stay over 6 months.

It is not very clear whether it is required or not. The fact is that you hear different answers from different people.
------------It is clear check the Govt Link. Kids of my friend who are having PIO card and under 16 never went for registration as not needed. they stayed 2 years in India.[/B

http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/

There have cases where departing minors have been asked for FRRO registration and departure declaration by Indian Immigration when leaving India after a presence of more than 6 months.
-------------Post the link that children under 16 years faced problem if not registred with FRRO. Please dont post wrong info.
Google it for specific cases.
My suggestion is to get FFRO registration done before expiry of 6 months and get departure declaration when leaving India. FRRO registration can be done at any DSP level police station.
----------------- For children under 16 with any kind of Visa or PIO Card FRRO registration is not required.

There is one correction in your post I need to point - The FRRO registration is done only ONCE for each stay over 6 months and NOT EVERY 6 months.
So you need to register once every time you visit India and plan to stay over 6 months.

Registration is required for

All foreigners including foreigners of Indian origin visiting India on long term (more than 180 days) Student visa(S) (including those coming for study of Yoga, Vedic Culture, Indian system of dance and Music), Research Visa(R), Employment Visa(E), Medical(M), Medical Attendant(MX) and Missionary Visa (M) will be required to get themselves registered with concerned Registration Officer within 14 days of his/her first arrival, irrespective of the duration of their stay.

Foreigners visiting India are required to register within 14 days in case of stipulation/ observation/ Special endorsement made by Indian mission/ Embassy on the Indian Visa.

Foreigners visiting India on other categories of long term visa including business/Entry(X) visa would not require registration with the concerned FRROs/FROs if , repeat if duration of his/her stay does not exceed 180 days on a single visit. In case a foreigner intends to stay for more than 180 days on a single visit he should get himself registered well before the expiry of 180 days.

Pakistan Nationals are required to register within 24 hours and Afghanistan Nationals are required to register within 7 days of their arrival in India.

Registration facilities are not provided at the airport and are carried out in the office of FRROs or District Superintendents of Police (FROs).

Children below 16 years of age do not require Registration, on any type of VISA.

Such Foreign nationals , who are already holding long term Tourist Visas for 10/5 years with stay stipulation of 180 days/90 days and with multiple entry facility, there should be gap of at least 2 months between two visits to the country on Tourist Visa. In case requirement to visit the country within two months, permission should be sought from the Head of Mission concerned indicating the specific reasons for another visit within a short period. In all such cases registration would be required within 14 days of arrival.

This includes foreigners holding Tourist Visa who after initial entry into India had gone out of the country largely on account of neighbourhood tourism related travel and are re-entering India within two months before their final exit from India. However, Immigration authorities in all Immigration Check Posts may allow such foreign nationals on Tourist Visa to make two or three entries into the country (need based) subject to production of an itinerary and supporting documentation (Ticket bookings).

Ginnu,

Try to re-read post before you react. And do watch your tone and words.

I DIDNT say people without FRRO had problem at immigration. I SAID they were asked for FRRO registration and departure statements.

Even if "your friends" didn't have problem, it means nothing. The world is bigger than your circle of friends.

If want a link - do what I suggested in the post - do a google search. You do know how to, right? go to google and type "frro registration pio minor". You will see two sets of opinions - one for and one against.

OP got a response from the Indian embassy that is different than what you think it is. At the cost of repeating myself here - People do have different opinions about it. I suggested taking the safe way when there is a small cost of registering once for FRRO.

Do note that the Indian Immigration Dept page you copy/pasted din't mention PIO anywhere. So unless you can post a link from a official Indian Govt website that states PIO minors don't registration, you can go either way on the FRRO.

You might want to re-read your statement about being a layperson and not a legal authority. You have NO LEGAL BACKGROUND NOR ARE YOU AN AUTHORITY to say that your opinion is the only correct one.

Ginnu,

Try to re-read post before you react. And do watch your tone and words.

I DIDNT say people without FRRO had problem at immigration.

I SAID they were asked for FRRO registration and departure statements.

Even if "your friends" didn't have problem, it means nothing. The world is bigger than your circle of friends.
------------Correct world is biger than my circle of friends
If want a link - do what I suggested in the post - do a google search. You do know how to, right? go to google and type "frro registration pio minor". You will see two sets of opinions - one for and one against.
---------------I will go according govt of India link and according to MHA or MEA rules. Children below 16 years: As per para 2 of Registration of Foreigners (Exemption) Order, 1957, children below the age of 16 years are exempt from the requirement of registration."
OP got a response from the Indian embassy that is different than what you think it is.
-----------OP may have talked Indian consulate /embassy clerk and how many clerk know the rule, do they pick up phone Do the respond to email? Do you know how rude they are? I have seen all that. FYI the embassy clerk is not authority for India immigration or FRRO rules . OP can talk to Bureau of Immigration, Government of India on phone No: 91-11-26711384
At the cost of repeating myself here - People do have different opinions about it. I suggested taking the safe way when there is a small cost of registering once for FRRO.
--------- OP can talk to Bureau of Immigration, Government of India on phone No: 91-11-26711384
Do note that the Indian Immigration Dept page you copy/pasted din't mention PIO anywhere.
---------A PIO card is actually an exemption from needing a visa. A PIO cardholder shall NOT require a separate visa to visit India.

on the PIO Card it is stamped clearly “ the holder of this card is entitled to visa-free entry into India for the duration of its validity, provided that it is accompanied with valid passport “

So unless you can post a link from a official Indian Govt website that states PIO minors don't registration, you can go either way on the FRRO.

You might want to re-read your statement about being a layperson and not a legal authority. You have NO LEGAL BACKGROUND NOR ARE YOU AN AUTHORITY to say that your opinion is the only correct one.
-----------When did I say that only my openion is correct? one should check or find information according to ones need. I posted what I know from Govt sources I read. You can Ignore my post and I did not say that info posted by me is only correct . Let OP find information.

Good Luck and thanks for your comments.

Hi

Children under age 16 with PIO Card do not need registration with FRRO in India. My child stayed about 2 years in India with PIO. No problem when came back to US and I took flight for USA from Mumbai.

Ginnu,

I don't disagree with gist of what you say but you were wrong (period) to tell me not post wrong information. It contradicts what you think but it doesn't mean I am wrong.

Since you cannot believe that a lowly clerk in Indian Embassy can make sense, I am posting some links with REAL LIFE experiences from parents regarding Minor PIO registration. Some of the experiences are quite new.

http://www.r2iclubforums.com/forums/f19/frro-registration-2111/#post25844

http://www.r2iclubforums.com/forums/f19/frro-registration-2111/#post174709

http://www.r2iclubforums.com/forums/f19/frro-registration-2111/#post175233

http://www.r2iclubforums.com/forums/f19/frro-registration-2111/index2.html#post181768

and on.... And do look into MSN forums too.... more experiences there...

Bottomline - Like I keep repeating.....There are two sets of thought and you may choose to OR NOT register your minor child. You may or may not face problems while leaving India. My suggestion is to play it safe and get the PIO child registered.
It is painless process and is required only once (for trip or passport validation) OR just get OCI

Hope this helps..... Good Luck to you too....