From J1 to F1 need your help

bodhee10

Hi,
I've been working in the States under J1 for the last three years, renewing it every year. My current visa is valid till October 20, 2008. On August 8th I begin my Master's in Georgetown and on July 14th I have an interview at the Consulate for my F1.
My school requires me to enter the States with F1, therefore I believe once I arrive on my F1 my current J1 won't be valid anymore. Is it correct?

Moreover, after I will enter the States on F1 I will still be emlpoyed for about three more weeks based on my previous/current J1. Is it illegal, and if yes what are the possible consiqueces?

Thank you

hi Bodhee,

I am on a J1 visa (subject to 2yr HRR).

I am looking forward to apply for a F1 visa.

Can you tell me if you had to apply for a J waiver for the J1-F1 conversion?

Were you required to go back to your home country to apply for your F1 visa?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,
I've been working in the States under J1 for the last three years, renewing it every year. My current visa is valid till October 20, 2008. On August 8th I begin my Master's in Georgetown and on July 14th I have an interview at the Consulate for my F1.
My school requires me to enter the States with F1, therefore I believe once I arrive on my F1 my current J1 won't be valid anymore. Is it correct?

Moreover, after I will enter the States on F1 I will still be emlpoyed for about three more weeks based on my previous/current J1. Is it illegal, and if yes what are the possible consiqueces?

Thank you

If you change from J to F and enter on F, you will have new I-94 upon re-entry and you are not J visa anymore. You can not work with your J sponsor for even one day because he is not your sponsor anymore. The J sponsor will not allow you and if you do, then you are violating your status (J and F are non-immigrant visas for only one sponsor). No one can till you exactly what are the consequences and how big the violation is, but still you will face many problems if you apply for immigrant visa down the road.