friend overstaying for 3 months already and getting married here in US

kweravictoria

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My friend is planning to get married with a Saipan citizen to be a US Citizen here in Connecticut. Question is; are people from Saipan considered US Citizen? If they get married here in Connecticut, can the Saipan citizen file a petition for my friend?

Ok my friend is overstaying his US tourist via for 3 months now. Will this be a problem?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
People born in Northern Mariana Islands are US citizens by birth.

Question is; are people from Saipan considered US Citizen?

No such thing as Saipan citizen. See above.

If they get married here in Connecticut, can the Saipan citizen file a petition for my friend?

Assuming this visitor is on B-2 status and did not have the intetion to immigrate when entering the US, there should not be a problem.

Ok my friend is overstaying his US tourist via for 3 months now. Will this be a problem?

I believe the OP is stating that this visitor has overstayed his/her I-94 by 3 months. I did not interpret this as the visitor is in the US on VWP. With regards to VWP, USCIS is acting very tough these days with those who AOS while on VWP status.

I think VWP users CAN adjust status if they marry a US citizen.

Yah it's likely a tourist visa, but people often use the term visa for any entry they are granted, including one which is visa-free, so I just wanted to mention that. I'm sure VWP AOS are very difficult, but it is an option all the same. Again, just covering bases, especially because I have met so many people who assume entry on the VWP is like parole from jail, with NO options at all. I even heard someone say that if you enter on the VWP and you give birth in the US, your child will not be considered a US citizen.

On a different note, these anti-spam image verification words, numbers and symbols are sometimes SO HARD TO READ!