Frequent visits out of US

Nirmal Kishore

Dear Sir I am a green card holder and have my business in India too. I am required to go and stay in India at least three or four times in a year , for a period of one or maximum two months on each time . However period of stay in US is always more than the time I stay in India . Will this effect my green card status and can I continue my business in India like that for another few years ?

As long as you spend more than 183 days in the US during any rolling 12 month window and none of your visits to India are more than 6 months in duration, you should be good as far as keeping your PR status. Keep in mind, three or four times in a year , for a period of one or maximum two months on each time ranges from best case of three months to worst case of eight months. So be careful with your time outside the US.

Dear Sir I am a green card holder and have my business in India too. I am required to go and stay in India at least three or four times in a year , for a period of one or maximum two months on each time . However period of stay in US is always more than the time I stay in India . Will this effect my green card status and can I continue my business in India like that for another few years ?

Frequent visits

As long as you spend more than 183 days in the US during any rolling 12 month window and none of your visits to India are more than 6 months in duration, you should be good as far as keeping your PR status. Keep in mind, three or four times in a year , for a period of one or maximum two months on each time ranges from best case of three months to worst case of eight months. So be careful with your time outside the US.
Thank you , So that means I can go to India any number of time in 12 months, but total no of days of stay together should not exceed 180 days,during this 12 months period ? Will I still be asked to the secondary office on my each arrival and have to prove of my residency here ?

Thank you , So that means I can go to India any number of time in 12 months, but total no of days of stay together should not exceed 180 days,during this 12 months period ? Will I still be asked to the secondary office on my each arrival and have to prove of my residency here ?

I don't think they bother Green Card holders in secondary inspection as long as they stay most of the time in the U.S and they don't exceed the 6 month time frame.

However, you can always be randomly selected to be questioned in secondary. That happened to me once. And it happens to US citizens too.