Frequent flyer

Dedo

Registered Users (C)
Guys - It seems like I will be flying to Canada each week (Mon-Thursday) spending 3 nights away from the US each week for a few months upto a total of 12 months (I have been doing this for 3 months already) - typical consulant travel. Is there any risk to future citizenship application? I think it will not make a difference, but i need to be sure

Thanks

For US immig irt should be fine. The problem US/canada commuters face is that US CBP sometimes thinks that you are living in Canada. But flying into Canada and leaving every week shoudl not be a problem.

Not for this board of course, but spending so much time in Canada can make you taxable there, so keep scupulous records of your time spent (you need to shoot for less than 183 nights in every 365 day period -- not simply 183 days in calendar year).

Guys - It seems like I will be flying to Canada each week (Mon-Thursday) spending 3 nights away from the US each week for a few months upto a total of 12 months (I have been doing this for 3 months already) - typical consulant travel. Is there any risk to future citizenship application? I think it will not make a difference, but i need to be sure
As long as you are keeping a house/apartment/condo/etc. in the US and consistently spending more time inside the US than outside, you should be OK for citizenship as far as continuous residence is concerned. Just make sure you keep track of all those trips, because you will be expected to list EVERY ONE of them on your citizenship application, except for those that were less than 24 hours.

But if your house/apartment is in Canada while you are staying in the US in a hotel, that could be a problem.

As long as you are keeping a house/apartment/condo/etc. in the US and consistently spending more time inside the US than outside, you should be OK for citizenship as far as continuous residence is concerned. Just make sure you keep track of all those trips, because you will be expected to list EVERY ONE of them on your citizenship application, except for those that were less than 24 hours.

But if your house/apartment is in Canada while you are staying in the US in a hotel, that could be a problem.

No, its all pretty straightforward. Live in a hotel in Canada, have family and home waiting for me each week back in the US. Typical consulting gig. No permamnent ties to canada

For US immig irt should be fine. The problem US/canada commuters face is that US CBP sometimes thinks that you are living in Canada. But flying into Canada and leaving every week shoudl not be a problem.

Not for this board of course, but spending so much time in Canada can make you taxable there, so keep scupulous records of your time spent (you need to shoot for less than 183 nights in every 365 day period -- not simply 183 days in calendar year).

In typical consulting world...your employer will take care of your foreign tax liability.

What about if my employers pays for an apartment in Canada (instead of a hotel)?
Could this be a problem?

I'd still have my own one in the US.

Shouldn't matter. Even if you set up a fullly furnmished home which you own, so long as you keep your home in US, you should have no immig problems.

Tax residency might be another issue if you were to own your own Cdn home and be present there so much. But not immigration

Last edited by a moderator: