Former J1 with HRR, now F1 without HRR, HRR still applies ?

nt7272

Registered Users (C)
I was a former Fulbrighter having J1 visa with 2 years of HRR. On my J1 visa, "2 years of HRR" clearly stated.

Later, I went back to my country and changed my visa from J1 to F1. I only stayed in my country for 2 weeks. Now on my F1 visa, theres nothing about 2 year HRR.

So, does the 2Y HRR still apply to me ?

Say, if I apply for an H1B, if the H1B form asks me for the current visa status (assuming I'll have to send them a copy of my visa page), can they trace back the 2Y HRR ?

Thanks a lot for any help.

The two-year HRR still applies.

You may be able to get an H1B (I actually do not know), but you will definitely not be able to get a green card unless you go back for two years or obtain a waiver.

Actually, I am expecting an answer to this question:

>> Say, if I apply for an H1B, if the H1B form asks me for the current visa status (assuming I'll have to send them a copy of my visa page), can they trace back the 2Y HRR ?

BTW, is there a difference between "Adjusting my status to H1 (from F1)" and "Applying for an H1B visa" ?

Thanks

Adjusting status is when you are inside of the US and applying for visa is when you are outside.

I do not know how the paperwork for H1b looks like. For a green card you have to answer a question about J1 with 2 year residency requirement. I would suspect that the system is smart enough to track your J1, otherwise, there would be no reason for everyone else not to go H1b route :)