Form N-14 - Proof of Support of Child/Children

Wishful_Thinker

Hi,

I had my N-400 interview yesterday at Washington DC/Fairfax VA DO. I passed the civic and English test, however, at the end of my interview IO gave me a N-14 form and asked me to provide Proof of Support of my Children.

Is there anyone who have or had the same issue? What exactly are they asking for? What evidence or documents do I need to provide?

Your help would be much appreciated!

Regards,
-WT

I have some questions to ask.
(1) how many kids do you have
(2) did you indicate your kids live with you
(3) what questions did the IO ask you about the kids and how did you respond

The questions are very important and you response would determine the kind of evidence of support you need.

Thanks for the reply.

A quick background before I answer those questions: My wife n kids are not in USA, they live overseas. Since the last one year or so, I've been living with them overseas and just making trips back to USA to avoid 6 months break in residence.

Answers:
1) 3 kids
2) Yes, but of course when I am/was in USA my wife takes care of them
3) When the IO updated my application with the 3 trips I made in a the last year or so, she asked why are you living abroad for so long? I explained that kids are growing up and I have to be with them to take care of their schooling, health-care etc. I've already applied for their immigration based on my GC, which is pending. Once I get a Visa for them, we all will be back to USA. She asked, were you supporting and sending money back to your wife when you're here(USA)? Does your wife has an account number? I said, no she doesn't; we've a combine family system and my dad manages everything there and yes I do send money to my family which goes to my dad's account.

What do you think now?
-WT

It will be hard for the immigration officer to understand why the money is being sent to your father, and not to your wife. I suggest you get an affidavit from your wife that she is living with your father and all her financial needs are met by him. Collect other evidence that might prove she is living with your father and not separately.

Please update the forum as to what happens.

Good luck.\

Thanks for the reply.

A quick background before I answer those questions: My wife n kids are not in USA, they live overseas. Since the last one year or so, I've been living with them overseas and just making trips back to USA to avoid 6 months break in residence.

Answers:
1) 3 kids
2) Yes, but of course when I am/was in USA my wife takes care of them
3) When the IO updated my application with the 3 trips I made in a the last year or so, she asked why are you living abroad for so long? I explained that kids are growing up and I have to be with them to take care of their schooling, health-care etc. I've already applied for their immigration based on my GC, which is pending. Once I get a Visa for them, we all will be back to USA. She asked, were you supporting and sending money back to your wife when you're here(USA)? Does your wife has an account number? I said, no she doesn't; we've a combine family system and my dad manages everything there and yes I do send money to my family which goes to my dad's account.

What do you think now?
-WT

What you need to do is to get an affidavit from your wife stating that she lives in the country and you have been supporting the kids via your father{ may be you having an investment he is taking care of, and the profit is used to take care of your family, as well as you going over to check the investment out}, you will need a letter from your father indicating thats as well . then you need a affidavit letter from someone in USA that knows about this that can be notorised so as for the IO to believe it.
you can obtain a recent family pics of you and you kids back where you are from and finnally your income tax and W2 should show you made enough money as well as your bank account indicating intervals you withdraw money for the purpose of sending.

Good luck. you will be fine. just some paperwork...

Hello,

I just registered to this site because i find it so helpful for some immigration questions and issues. Lookin on your previous case, and I knew for sure you already got ur citizenship already....I am with the same situation that I need to submit some informations and/ or evidence that I am supporting my kids in the philippines....I have all the receipt for the remittances that I sent for the last 5 years, and photocopied it already....I just want to make sure that if these are enough or do I need to gather more papers/ evidence....Secondly, Do I have to-- Attention the documents to the IO who gave me the N-14? or just send it to the address indicated on the letter (n-14)....

Thanks,
Bchatter

Hi,

I had my N-400 interview yesterday at Washington DC/Fairfax VA DO. I passed the civic and English test, however, at the end of my interview IO gave me a N-14 form and asked me to provide Proof of Support of my Children.

Is there anyone who have or had the same issue? What exactly are they asking for? What evidence or documents do I need to provide?

Your help would be much appreciated!

Regards,
-WT

My friend; this is a bit strange. Normally, these questions come up when you petition visa for your children and your children are coming here. I have never seen these questions come up in the naturalization process. If your children live in the US, and they don't live with you, they may ask you prove that you pay child support....

If you send money to your wife, you may wanna send receipts......or as suggested an affidavit from your wife...let us know what happens..it is new level

I just want to make sure that if these are enough or do I need to gather more papers/ evidence...
It's impossible to tell what your IO will find as sufficient evidence for proof of child support, but evidence of remittances who have sent to them over the years should be sufficient.

.Secondly, Do I have to-- Attention the documents to the IO who gave me the N-14? or just send it to the address indicated on the letter (n-14)....
Send it to the address listed on N-14. The information will make it to your file one way or another.

To Faysad:

thanks Faysad for your response, I submitted the needed documents (certified and I already got the proof of delivery receipt)....I submitted a total of 70 photocopies of My remittances receipts for the past 5 yrs as well as the Notarized affidavit of my ex wife in the Phil., she faxed it to me by the way.....Would this normally take a while? what other ways do I need to do to follow up my case?

to: bobsmyth

Thanks bobsmyth for your response, I submitted the needed documents (certified and I already got the proof of delivery receipt)....I submitted a total of 70 photocopies of My remittances receipts for the past 5 yrs as well as the Notarized affidavit of my ex wife in the Phil., she faxed it to me by the way.....Would this normally take a while? what other ways do I need to do to follow up my case?