Forgot toninform USCIS of change of address

crammm

Registered Users (C)
I bought a house and moved to another city 3 years ago. I hold a green card and I forgot to inform USCIS about my change of address. I’m scheduled to file my green card renewal in two months. Will I be in trouble? What was your experience?

I bought a house and moved to another city 3 years ago. I hold a green card and I forgot to inform USCIS about my change of address. I’m scheduled to file my green card renewal in two months. Will I be in trouble? What was your experience?
You dont have to inform them of an address change if you are a green card holder.

When you file your renewal. Just make sure to update your address on the application.

You dont have to inform them of an address change if you are a green card holder.

When you file your renewal. Just make sure to update your address on the application.

Most non-U.S. citizens are required to report a change of address within 10 days of moving, so I would be very careful of telling a LPR they don’t have to. Failure to report the change of address is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $200, up to 30 days jail time and or deportation.

https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange

Good to know!!

Is that welcome guide something new? They definitely never gave me or any of my brothers i came up with that guide?

Well I have no idea when you or your brothers got your green cards but it’s been around for years. It used to get mailed in printed form i believe, now it’s online. In any case I was certainly very aware of the requirement to file change of address when I got my green card, around 5 years ago.

Edit: one thing I saw said originally published 2005, not sure if that’s accurate or if it was earlier

Last edited:
Well I have no idea when you or your brothers got your green cards but it’s been around for years. It used to get mailed in printed form i believe, now it’s online. In any case I was certainly very aware of the requirement to file change of address when I got my green card, around 5 years ago.

Edit: one thing I saw said originally published 2005, not sure if that’s accurate or if it was earlier
Got green cards 17 years ago.

Good info!! This forum is the wikipedia of Immigration. Lol

Got green cards 17 years ago.

Good info!! This forum is the wikipedia of Immigration. Lol

I’m willing to bet you were still supposed to notify of change of address back then. Didn’t they send a welcome letter with the GC?