• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

soethura

Dear all,
I am one of the winner of DV 2017.
I was born in Burma and currently living in Tokyo.
I have made a mistake on state of chargeability.
It is supposed to be Burma but I accidentally changed it into Japan.
Now I am applying DS 260 and I am worried sick about that.
Can anyone kindly tell me that I would be disqualified already or will I be processed furthermore.
I really need your help. I am looking forward your answers and reply.

Thanks ahead.

Simon,
I just am worried and panic too much and thought there might be someone who did same mistake as I did.
and trying to get something more or better.
It doesn't mean that I don't trust or believe you.
Sorry if it made you uncomfortable or anything. I didn't mean to.
I was just worried too much.
Now I eventually am relieved.
Thank you for your support and kindness.

Warm regards,
Soe Thura

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon,
I just am worried and panic too much and thought there might be someone who did same mistake as I did.
and trying to get something more or better.
It doesn't mean that I don't trust or believe you.
Sorry if it made you uncomfortable or anything. I didn't mean to.
I was just worried too much.
Now I eventually am relieved.
Thank you for your support and kindness.

Warm regards,
Soe Thura

Others have made the same general mistake as you. I based my comments on knowledge of those cases and the laws/guidance that control the process.

For information, the guidance on this subject is published here:
https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050206.html

I extracted and bolded the piece that describes your situation (wrong country of chargeability but both countries being within the same region).

(3) Errors in Choice of Country of Chargeability: If the entrant chooses the wrong country of chargeability at the time of the initial entry, the error will generally be disqualifying. However, if a DV applicant chooses a country of chargeability during DV registration that is within the same geographic region (one of the six) as the correct country of chargeability, and you determine that the applicant gained no benefit from his or her error, and there are no fraud concerns,, you may continue processing the application using the correct country of chargeability in IVO. Post may need to obtain additional DV number(s) for the correct country of chargeability from the Immigrant Visa Control and Reporting Division (CA/VO/DO/I), as necessary, via a VISAS FROG message (see 9 FAM 604.2-1).

Dear Simon,
Thank you so very much.
This gives me big relieved.
Now I can proceed without worrying bits.
Thank you thank you thank you.

Warm regards,
Soe Thura XXXXX (edited again)

Last edited by a moderator:
And finaly you got visa or not?Ia ask you because i have made the same mistake like yours.thanks.

The person you’re asking hasn’t returned to this forum since June 2016.

Explain precisely what your own error is in order to get the right response or are you saying you also mistakenly selected Japan in place of Buma and you currently live in Tokyo also?

I am dv winner 2019EU 20×××.I was born in armenia and i have spain citizenship.I choose mistekly spain the country of chargeability.I will be ok or will be denied the visa???thanks

The person you’re asking hasn’t returned to this forum since June 2016.

Explain precisely what your own error is in order to get the right response or are you saying you also mistakenly selected Japan in place of Buma and you currently live in Tokyo also?

I am dv winner 2019EU 20×××.I was born in armenia and i have spain citizenship.I choose mistekly spain the country of chargeability.I will be ok or will be denied the visa???thanks

Since both Spain and Armenia are within the same EU region, you shouldn’t be perceived as having gained an undue advantage by charging to Spain and should hopefully be okay.

Hi mine is picking Kiribati which is below kenya instead if Kenya as charge state in Dv 2019 without malice or fraud can I argue my case out or the verdict is certain?

Hi mine is picking Kiribati which is below kenya instead if Kenya as charge state in Dv 2019 without malice or fraud can I argue my case out or the verdict is certain?

It might have been an honest mistake, however, the problem for you is that Kiribati falls under Oceania which means your entry was selected chargeable to the wrong region. This will mean disqualification. (If the error had been another country in Africa then the region would still be correct and you’d be ok.)

100% certain re disqualification since your selection is under a completely different region.