For US Born Child - Why is PIO better?

SureshKum

Hi, this may be oft repeated question on this forum, but I did not find a perfect answer yet.

Parents = Indian Born US Citizens with OCI
Child = US Born Minor

I read on Immihelp that OCI has to be reissued/applied again every 5 years, whereas with PIO you dont have to worry for 15 years, plus PIO is $100 cheaper compared to OCI. Child will live in India for schooling.

Is PIO better option than OCI?

thanks
SK

PIO is better for US born minor kids. OCI have to be transferred every time there is a new passport. Both have similar advantages, so go for PIO. My kids have PIOs and I have OCI. Only difference is they are schooling in US and not in India like your kids.

But I am not a lawyer, please re-think twice.

PIO is better for US born minor kids. OCI have to be transferred every time there is a new passport. .

With PIO also I believe it needs to be re-issued every time you get a new passport even thought it maybe valid for 15 years.

OCI is better since it's lifelong with PIO you have to pay the full fee every 15 years.

Pretty much incorrect from several aspects.

New PIO is not not needed in case of new Indian passport for any age - one can endorse the new PP # in the PIO though.

For ages 20-50, a new OCI is not needed in case of new foreign passport, but has to be re-issued (with misc. fees ~ $30) with a new passport outside of that age bracket.

With PIO also I believe it needs to be re-issued every time you get a new passport even thought it maybe valid for 15 years.

OCI is better since it's lifelong with PIO you have to pay the full fee every 15 years.

Pretty much incorrect from several aspects.

New PIO is not not needed in case of new Indian passport for any age - one can endorse the new PP # in the PIO though.

For ages 20-50, a new OCI is not needed in case of new foreign passport, but has to be re-issued (with misc. fees ~ $30) with a new passport outside of that age bracket.

What's incorrect? Who said anything about 'New PIO' ?

PIO card or OCI card needs to be re-issued or endorsed every-time you get a new passport.

PIO: http://www.visa.blsindia-usa.com/pioNewPassportEndorsement.php

OCI; http://www.visa.blsindia-usa.com/OciReissueNewPassword.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Re-issue in usual parlance is new PIO card. It doesn't have to be re-issued with a new passport unlike a re-issued OCI outside of 20-49 years age bracket.

From a cost perspective for minors OCI is not advantageous.

What's incorrect? Who said anything about 'New PIO' ?

PIO card or OCI card needs to be re-issued or endorsed every-time you get a new passport.

PIO: http://www.visa.blsindia-usa.com/pioNewPassportEndorsement.php

OCI; http://www.visa.blsindia-usa.com/OciReissueNewPassword.php

Well, they say a child needs to have OCI re-issued for each new passport, but anecdotal evidence shows people just carry their old along with the new one and don't run into any problems. I'd say OCI is just simply better.

Well, they say a child needs to have OCI re-issued for each new passport, but anecdotal evidence shows people just carry their old along with the new one and don't run into any problems. I'd say OCI is just simply better.

You never know how rules are enforced in India, officially you are required to apply for new OCI with every new passport:

"This would require re-issuance of OCI registration certificate and visa each time a new passport is issued. However, as the major benefit of OCI Scheme is life long visa to visit India, problems arise each time a new passport is issued."

So in my view, OCI is good for persons above 21 years of age. If it is a child, say 5 years old you will have to get new passport 3 times until child is 21 years, and each time you only have to get PIO endorsed [not re-issued].

IMHO.
thanks

So in my view, OCI is good for persons above 21 years of age. If it is a child, say 5 years old you will have to get new passport 3 times until child is 21 years, and each time you only have to get PIO endorsed [not re-issued].

IMHO.
thanks

It doesn't matter if you have PIO or OCI - everytime you get a new (foreign) passport PIO has to be re-endorsed or OCI needs to be re-issued and they both have similar fees.

As of 02/22/2014:
PIO re-endorsement Fee = $27.70
OCI Re-issue Fee = $32.70

With my kids, I don't plan on getting new OCI every five years when their US passports expire and they get new ones. I probably will get a new OCI for them maybe once before they hit 20 just so that their pic in the OCI booklet looks more like them (compared to their baby pics) :)

Regarding the question of PIO vs. OCI, I am in the camp that favors OCI. One thing about your kids living in India with PIO status is that they will need to go the police station every 6 months to renew their status. That is the one hassle of PIO compared to OCI if you're living in India long-term.

Incorrect. Any minor under 16 holding PIO or any visa does not have to register at the FRRO.

In general from a cost and hassle perspective, PIO for minors has an edge over OCI. Now, anecdotally while we know that people have used expired US passport for those under 20 years with the OCI sticker in it, there is no guarantee that the babus might not issue a diktat to the POE officers in India one day, to actually start enforcing the rule of requiring a new OCI issued for those under 20 with expired passports with an OCI sticker in it. Want to play Russian Roulette with it? Fine go ahead!

Thanks for enlightening me on PIO minors not needing FRRO registration. That is rather sensible in my opinion.

Until I hear of a single case of someone's child being denied entry into India for not having an OCI that was current with their passport, yeah, I am very happy playing Russian Roulette :)