For People Who Renew Their NP due to Travelling (vacation)

Miss.PinK

Registered Users (C)

Did you tell your consulat that your status is "Asylum" / GC based from asylum ??? or you just play dumb when they ask your status ? Some of my friend said that I'ts better to play dumb, 'n pretend that we're illegal instead of telling them that we're asylee becoz they might take our citizenship away. But the thing is I don't wanna risk it. If USCIS require us to "admit" to the world (including to our consulat) that we are american asyleee then I guess I have to tell my consulat a about my status in this country, even if it's risking my citizenship.

anybody renew their National Passport for "vacation" travelling purposes? Please share your experienced with me. :) thank you.

Miss.PinK said:

Did you tell your consulat that your status is "Asylum" / GC based from asylum ??? or you just play dumb when they ask your status ? Some of my friend said that I'ts better to play dumb, 'n pretend that we're illegal instead of telling them that we're asylee becoz they might take our citizenship away. But the thing is I don't wanna risk it. If USCIS require us to "admit" to the world (including to our consulat) that we are american asyleee then I guess I have to tell my consulat a about my status in this country, even if it's risking my citizenship.

anybody renew their National Passport for "vacation" travelling purposes? Please share your experienced with me. :) thank you.

I was thinking of renewing it to visit Switzerland but my consulate asked for a copy of GC, also a notarized copy. I felt little awkard so I decided not to do it....didn't want to pay for it 3 years later..

Hey don't worry

Miss Pink,
I renewed mt NP and I sent a notorized copy of my GC and DL to my consulate via mail. The good thing is that when you photocopy your GC it is impossible to read the category of your GC "AS6". Try it and it works and if they ask for your status in your application for your passport renewal just put "Permanent Resident" which wouldn't be lying because that's what you are now.
Hopw it helps.

thank you for all the respond

uhmm one more thing. for people who decide not to renew the National Passport, what did u use to travel then? RTD ? or Re-entry permit.

The thing that I dont like about RTD / Re-entry ..
we have to pay for it all the time, rite?

and it take quite some time to get those document.

I am torn between renewing my NP or get the RTD instead.

renewing my NP will be so much easier coz' one of my uncle bro is working in the consulate in DC , he can juz make a call to SF to help me (he's my uncle by marriage). BUT even "he" , doesn't know that I am an ex-asylee .. unless if my mom told him when she visited him last year. (my mom said "she didn't tell him a thing") ...

I hate in the spot where I have to lie. I don't like hiding my status but I don't want to put my PR status in jeopardy also. I'm thinking to go to consulate 'n just told them I forgot my I-20 (coz' I used to be an F1 visa student before I apply my asylum).

If the consulate didn't put anything on my NP about my Permanent Resident. Will USCIS make a big fuss about it later? coz' they might want me to be open to my consulate 'n admit that I am a GC holder base on asylum.

anybody have the same case like me ?!!!

Wait A Minute

Again, for your passport renewal just put "Permanent Resident" which wouldn't be lying because that's what you are now.
Don't be a paranoid, there is nothing to lie about when you say that you are "Permanet Resident" and consulate has no right to ask you how you got you your GC. :eek:
Just mail them the paperwork, there wouldn't be any unnecessary questions that way.

Miss.PinK said:
uhmm one more thing. for people who decide not to renew the National Passport, what did u use to travel then? RTD ? or Re-entry permit.

The thing that I dont like about RTD / Re-entry ..
we have to pay for it all the time, rite?

and it take quite some time to get those document.

I am torn between renewing my NP or get the RTD instead.

renewing my NP will be so much easier coz' one of my uncle bro is working in the consulate in DC , he can juz make a call to SF to help me (he's my uncle by marriage). BUT even "he" , doesn't know that I am an ex-asylee .. unless if my mom told him when she visited him last year. (my mom said "she didn't tell him a thing") ...

I hate in the spot where I have to lie. I don't like hiding my status but I don't want to put my PR status in jeopardy also. I'm thinking to go to consulate 'n just told them I forgot my I-20 (coz' I used to be an F1 visa student before I apply my asylum).

If the consulate didn't put anything on my NP about my Permanent Resident. Will USCIS make a big fuss about it later? coz' they might want me to be open to my consulate 'n admit that I am a GC holder base on asylum.

anybody have the same case like me ?!!!

Miss Pink,

I travel maybe 4-5 times a year out of country and mostly Germany for work/pleasure. I would love to use my NP but I don't really want to lie and be caught in the future. What PM told you is good enough because you are not really lying.

I was all ready to renew my NP and just asked my lawyer to make sure and he said yah its ok but it also means you can NEVER get a RTD again. RTD is meant for people who can't obtain a NP even after a GC. And the RTD application asks that specfically if you have renewed your NP after the grant of asylum...You can't really lie to USCIS... And knowing that Germany doesn't require a visa on RTD, I wasn't going to risk renewing my passport just because of that.

Since I travel a lot, I would've needed a visa everytime. Everytime that would've required taking BS from German Consulate etc. I rather be free even if the RTD is valid for 1 year. I have gotten in the habit of applying 3 months before my RTD expires and keeping the valid RTD. Everytime, they give me a new RTD without requesting the old one.

I would suggest you follow PM's advice and just hide the fact you are an asylee. If they ask you, then you have to tell them. Do NOT lie even to your Consulate. Some consulates are very sensitive about Asylum and also put that as a question in renewal of passport, "HAVE YOU APPLIED FOR ASYLUM IN THE UNITED STATES?"...

Get a Rentry Permit because what benefit is RTD for you? RP is valid for 2 years. If your travels are only to Europe, RTD is a good avenue, however if you want to travel to your COP then get a RP. And you would need to renew it only once more before you become citizen. I think thats more acceptable right??

I see nothing to fear here. Just tell than you are a permament resident. If they renew your passport, they you are fine. If they reject (which is very unlikely - at least we have little evidence to support that), there is nothing for you to lose. Your country's consulate couldn't do anything to you since you are in US whey applying.

From a pure cost-benefit analysis perspective, there is nothing to lose by trying. There is only an upside of getting your passport renewed.

thank you for all the respond

thank you wantmygcnow & pvlaca,

I will try to talk to my lawyer first. Because RTD taking 3 months, correct? while I am travelling this June :(

wantmygcnow said:
Miss Pink,
Since I travel a lot, I would've needed a visa everytime.

Hey, wantmygcnow.

When you traveled with RTD and without GC, what was your longest stay out of US? I just quit my job and want to travel to Mexico for 3-4 months, will I have any problem when I return to US(my RTD valid till January 2007) or is it going to be another pain on my assylum ass?

Thanks.

I-K-A-K-O said:
Why RTD is better for travel to Europe and Reentry Permit not ?

Rentry Permit is not accepted by Switzerland. RTD requires no VISA for Germany & Ireland. I have travelled extensively in Europe by entering in Gerrmany and taking "domestic" flights or trains to Italy, Greece, Spain, Austria, Netherlands and even Switzerland.

Rentry Permit requires visa for every country you want to visit. RTD doesn't require visa for Germany,Ireland & Singapore.

Miss.PinK said:

I will try to talk to my lawyer first. Because RTD taking 3 months, correct? while I am travelling this June :(

The processing dates say 6 weeks from Receipt date. Check it out.

After I got my GC, I renewed my NP which I have been worried a little bit about AS6, but since a copy of GC with nortoried stamp is acceptable, so I got GC copied, Yes, AS6 was barely seen on the copy, but I still used back pen to highlight it to make it very hard to see, so I sent it to my country's consulate without notary, they didn't say a word, four days later, I got renewed NP back. Nortary is also very easy, nothing state about your status, just stamp of that person's name of whoever notaries your document, thats all. Bank and post office provide this kind of service.

I also have my RP in hand which only tooks me a 10 days to received it from USCIS, because I put expedite request letter with my application form.

I am currently applying for Hungarain business visa for corporate business, I have mailed application matrials to Hungary LA consulate with my RP NOT my NP, because Hungarian consulate accept RTD and RP, but today I got call from agent, she said I had a little problem with my RP, using RP will takes 30 days for hungarian consulate to process my visa, my departure day is only 10 days away even though I put expedite request with my company cover letter stating this is urgernt business trip, I asked why, my agent has no clue, she siad if you use your NP that would be a lot of easier and ensure I can get my visa sometime next week. otherwise I can not make this trip due to 30 days processing for RP. so this morning I fedex my NP by express mail to my agent.

My experience tells me, you can't always plan enough time to for visa application, plus different country is very different, you can't tell, sometime something urgent come up that requires an quick trip, NP and PR could make a big difference for processing time, I don't know why they treated NP and RP differently, for they are serving same purpose also RP is USA travel document, I thought it must make things much easier than NP, but problem is you never know. some countries may see RP more creditbility than NP because its from US.

So I personally think having both NP and RP or RTD together will be helpful and give youself more flexibilities dealing with unknown situation like this to be able to make your travel more conveniet and less hassle. thats just my personal experience to share with your guys.

Miss.PinK said:

Hi Miss.Pink,

You can also request an emergency RTD. I did that back in 2003 and as far as I can remember I got it really fast. You pay a little bit more, but it works. The reason for my emergency travel I gave was to visit a sick parent. Try it if the cost is not an issue. Good luck!

thank you for all the info :)

thank you so much ladies and gentlement :) for kindly sharing ur thoughts and experiences :)