For all of us with an Interview date in June-July

OMG Fedup!!! I'm SO sorry!!!!
Why are some people like that? It's as if some of the officers know there's nothing you can do and they abuse their power. You are right, that comment about him being white and you being black was totally out of line. Under different circumstances that can be considered even discrimination. Of course everyone is going to be different.

Ugh...I can't even think of what else you can get to proof your relationship. Here are some ideas, you might have already had these:
- letter from his parents stating that they approve the relationship or something like that.
- letter from employer where they have your address, that way you can show both of your employers have the same address in file.
- find as many pictures of both of you as you can.
- have him add you as a beneficiary of his life policy

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Answer continued

I had photos from 2003 till 2006 of my husband and i and with his son and but no use.My lawyer suggested we take about 8 pics i took 10 and photocopied them in colour she didnt even want to see them.

that's horrible, fedup2k6! and to think you have more documents than most of us --- especially me.

was your lawyer not present for the interview? and here i was thinking that if you have a lawyer with you, then they wouuldn't be separating you from your husband and they wouldn't be talking to you in a derogatory manner.

quick question though: when did you get married?
my husband filed his 2005 taxes as single. when i asked my sister --- who is married as well if my husband did it right by filing as single --- she said he did as his income for the year 2005 was just for a single person. we should she said file jointly next year.

if you were just married, then your husband was right on filing as a single guy.

and i agree with payala, try to get an affidavit from people who know you to state that your marriage is valid.

is it just me or most of the questions thrown at you were irrelevant to the case? so what if your black and he's white? so what if you didn't wear white to your wedding day? what's important is that you're in a loving marriage.... all the other circumstances have no bearing.

babybunny said:
that's horrible, fedup2k6! and to think you have more documents than most of us --- especially me.

was your lawyer not present for the interview? and here i was thinking that if you have a lawyer with you, then they wouuldn't be separating you from your husband and they wouldn't be talking to you in a derogatory manner.

quick question though: when did you get married?
my husband filed his 2005 taxes as single. when i asked my sister --- who is married as well if my husband did it right by filing as single --- she said he did as his income for the year 2005 was just for a single person. we should she said file jointly next year.

if you were just married, then your husband was right on filing as a single guy.

and i agree with payala, try to get an affidavit from people who know you to state that your marriage is valid.

is it just me or most of the questions thrown at you were irrelevant to the case? so what if your black and he's white? so what if you didn't wear white to your wedding day? what's important is that you're in a loving marriage.... all the other circumstances have no bearing.

Hello yes we have been married for 7 months since November 7th 2005 and waited 3 months before filing Aos because we had no idea what to do.My lawyer did not go to the interview with us. But i cannot stand people bullying us in interviews and treating us sub-human .I am not happy ,no we didnt have any letters from friends or family memebers showing the validity of our marriage beacuse we did not think that it would be a problem but ah well if we had known we would have.

As far as taxes, The IRS will want you to file as Married –( Separate or single ) for the whole year even if you were married on the last day of the year. Hope this clears the tax issue.
FedUP - I wish you luck, this must be a tough situation, and there was no reason for the Interviewing officer to make comments on color. I hope you get your GC soon.

Oh dear! I am so sorry to hear about the way your interview went! You are right - I too would feel like reaching across the table and grabbing the interviewer by neck, esp for her racial remarks.

Take your time to collect all the documents you can... getting memberships like fitness center, club, etc. would help you getting additional joint documents. Hope things work out for you... good luck.

I can't believe immigration officers can be so nasty, the way she treated you is unacceptable. This is a clear case of USCIS abusing their power. I think she wouldn't have behaved herself like that if your lawyer had been there.

I know it's easy to say but try to get yourself together, come down, give yourself some time to relax- you don't want any health problems because of this. And try to get as much proof as possible to prove your marriage is real.
Tax return can be amended, you can get affidavits from friends, relatives, neighbors, maybe joint memberships ( like sport clubs, video rental place ).

Good luck, and I hope everything will be fine.

myjuls said:
I can't believe immigration officers can be so nasty, the way she treated you is unacceptable. This is a clear case of USCIS abusing their power. I think she wouldn't have behaved herself like that if your lawyer had been there.

I know it's easy to say but try to get yourself together, come down, give yourself some time to relax- you don't want any health problems because of this. And try to get as much proof as possible to prove your marriage is real.
Tax return can be amended, you can get affidavits from friends, relatives, neighbors, maybe joint memberships ( like sport clubs, video rental place ).

Good luck, and I hope everything will be fine.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I dont know when i will be able to talk about this immigration experience and be happy.Today i could have been celebrating but ah well.I am going to get as many things as possible in our names i had been waiting so long for that interview.I think interviewing officers hold too much power over peoples futures in their hands thus they abuse it and treat you anyway they feel like.I dont know what i did wrong i still cant figure out why that woman was so mean but what goes around comes around.

payala said:
So yesterday I received this in the mail, it's just another form with a list of required documents for the interview. I don't know if it's only for my DO but it seems like a good doc to show to all of you guys.

Thanks for that list, Payala. It's more concise than the checklist on my interview letter, I'm gonna print it out. :)

ps182 said:
As far as taxes, The IRS will want you to file as Married –( Separate or single ) for the whole year even if you were married on the last day of the year. Hope this clears the tax issue.
FedUP - I wish you luck, this must be a tough situation, and there was no reason for the Interviewing officer to make comments on color. I hope you get your GC soon.

i've got a stupid question. when you said last day of the year... you mean last day like dec 31 of 2005?

we got married just last march. did he have to file as married or as single?

Well if you got married in Mar 2005 (I am presuming last Mar = Mar of last year) then yes, you and your spouse should have filed the taxes for 2005 as joint. However if you got married in Mar 2006, then when you guys file 2006 taxes in 2007, you would file joint taxes.

Do you guys think that credit card receipts from grocery shopping could help proving our relationship?
I'm worried because I'm having doubts whether I'm gonna get my Social in time, so I'm not sure whether we can get joint bank accounts/health insurance/car insurance in time.

I have tons of credit card receipts from grocery stores for food and stuff for our apartment, because my dad is supporting us and lets me use a credit card from his bank account. I mean, there is no way that I'm eating all this food by myself, right?! What do you think?

Also what about the receipts for my engagement ring and our wedding rings?

Thanks for your comments guys! :)

patty579 said:
Do you guys think that credit card receipts from grocery shopping could help proving our relationship?
I'm worried because I'm having doubts whether I'm gonna get my Social in time, so I'm not sure whether we can get joint bank accounts/health insurance/car insurance in time.

I have tons of credit card receipts from grocery stores for food and stuff for our apartment, because my dad is supporting us and lets me use a credit card from his bank account. I mean, there is no way that I'm eating all this food by myself, right?! What do you think?

Also what about the receipts for my engagement ring and our wedding rings?

Thanks for your comments guys! :)
Hi i dont think shopping is enough proof,you say that you have receipts from grocery stores who's name is on those receipts?Yours or your husbands or both of you all,also receipts are not a requirement on the uscis checklist it seems patty that you are in the same situation as me except i already had my interview.Bills are what you neeed utilities
especially

Payala, Good job!!!
Seems that you already got enough.
My Interview date is July 12th. So I am preparing it as well.

my story: we met in May at a school Asian meeting and dated since then. We married in the court without big wedding on Dec 2005. I was not eager to get immigration since I can stay in U.S for another at least 4 years. I am in Ph.D programm and I have long way to go :(
But we decided not to wait till last minute so we mailed the application on Feb 2006. We didnt hire a lawyer at all.

All Documents required such as
- My I-94, passport
- Marriage certificate
- Birth certificate for both of us
- All original doc or copies which we submited before (i693,i864, Tax return...)
- All notices from USCIS
- My I-20, Admission Letters, Transcripts...

Supporting evidence of relationship:
- Pictures of both of us(We dont have a wedding since both of us were poor student then and still)
- Joint Bank Statement (Since March 2006)
- Old apartment Lease (Added her name on Jan 2006)
- Current apartment Lease (We moved to a much better appt on Jun1st 2006)
- Joint car insurance
- All utility bills with both of our name: cable, internet

Things we dont have:
- Health Insurance, both of us has individual one from employer
- credit card account, dont think we need that
- Any letters from the third party, I kinda think it is not necessary at all
- Electricity bills didnt show both of name on it, We are still under individual phone plan so we dont have joint cell phone bills
- No travel tickets or whatsoever, those small things are just very annoying

Any suggestion, I am a bit stressed out since we dont have much. And due to my stupid attitude, I am even not positive on collecting more evidences.

Thanks fedup. Guess you're right. I'm gonna try and get my name on our cable and electricity bill. Have you had any news from your lawyer? Has she sent out your information yet?

patty579 said:
Thanks fedup. Guess you're right. I'm gonna try and get my name on our cable and electricity bill. Have you had any news from your lawyer? Has she sent out your information yet?
Yes she is awaiting my husband and i to have more joint documents together we got a letter from the health insurance company stating that i have been added we have the water bill thats yet to come.Its very frustrating getting bills in our names .I changed the cell phone bill 2 months ago and it came today and it still says my husbands name :mad: I dont know how i am maintaing my sanity but i am DAMN MAD!!!!. :mad: .I tried to change the direct tv bill but i have to close the account and reopen another then wait for the actual bill in the mail which will take at least a month whilst knowing that i have until sept 12 to acquire all this info or my case is denied .
And my husband is working on his new tax return.Its all about time now.

:( oh dear... sounds like an awful lot of annoying work. I'm dreading to call all these companies, but I really should start soon. Didn't realize how complicated it could be to add my name!!
Keep thinking of the day you get approved. With all this new proof, it will be all good. :)

Start calling today

patty579 said:
:( oh dear... sounds like an awful lot of annoying work. I'm dreading to call all these companies, but I really should start soon. Didn't realize how complicated it could be to add my name!!
Keep thinking of the day you get approved. With all this new proof, it will be all good. :)
You had better start calling as of today,because think of last months bills coming in and your interview is in July you will have to wait an entire month for the billing date to come and trust me some of these utility companies are not exactly dependable whenit comes to customer service.

Hm, my husband pays most our bills online. I called Excel and they said I have to call the online payment company that works for them. And she also said that adding my name to the mailing address isn't really proof at all, because you could do that with any name and any address.
Hopefully Comcast will be easier. She just said my husband has to be present and consent to the add, and then she will add my name.