• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Following-to-Join benefits????

b_march

I am a DV 2007 Lottery winner and I received my permanent residence (visa stamping on my passport) on January 8, 2007.
After my first application for the DV in 2005 but before I got the approval via second letter in November 2006, I got married (in October, 2006) in Nepal. Since the US Embassy in Nepal had issued a bulletin at that time stating that if a spouse's name was not included in the very first application for the DV, they would disqualify the applicant if the spouse was included in subsequent
applications and/or visa interview. For that reason I did not mention a change in my marital status. Our marriage was registered with the Nepalese government recently.
How do I file for my husband to join me here in the US at the earliest? Will he be elligible for following -to-join benefits?
Please let me know what options I have that will allow him to come to the US as soon as possible.
looking forward to your suggestions

You needed to disclose a change in your marital status. When you swore that all the information in your forms is true, you swore that you were single.

It's a bit too late now. You'd have to file I-824, it needs to be approved and send to NVC and then to the consulate, and an interview needs to be scheduled and the visa needs to be received before Sep 30. Good luck!

Since the US Embassy in Nepal had issued a bulletin at that time stating that if a spouse's name was not included in the very first application for the DV, they would disqualify the applicant if the spouse was included in subsequent applications and/or visa interview.
it's hard to believe that there would be an official bulletin like that. In the former USSR you will be suspected of entering into a fictitious marriage for the immigration purposes (if you got married after winning), but you'd simply be subject to a very strict questioning aimed at determining whether your marriage is a sham.

Hi
My case is a little bit different i got married after my intereview by 7 days. i still didnot recieve my greencard can i still send I824? also can u give me more detail about it.
Thanks

you become a permanent resident as soon as you are processed at the border, whether you have the plastic or not.

In the Family immigration subforum, there is a large "sticky" about following-to-join benefits.