First time DUI - Citizenship

Asking a question of "Am I inadmissible to Canada for a DWI conviction I was never fingerprinted for in New Jersey?" to CBSA will likely result in an answer of "You are inadmissible to Canada if you have been convicted of a DWI, regardless of if you were fingerprinted or not"

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/facts-faits/037-eng.html

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/inadmissibility.asp

So true because a DWI in Canada is a felony no matter where it happened in the states & what process & rules were involved.:D

Thanks everybody for your comments. I also did some research. Here is a summary of what I think. Please feel free to comment on them:

From the date of conviction, I will be on probation (doesn't matter it is "informal") for three years. That means I can only apply for citizenship after three years. That would be only few months later than when I could actually do apply.

Having said that, I won't be bargaining for a lesser charge based on longer probation.

All that is with the assumption that the first DUI won't be affecting the citizenship process. It will add some paper work at the time of the interview. Correct? or one of the citizenship forms asks (they usually do) "have you had any conviction blah blah..."? Is there such question somewhere in the citizenshiop forms? Where can I get a pdf of the citizenship forms?

I need to see the police report to make an assessment of the odds of bargaining to a lesser charge, in this case "wet reckless driving".

What if all of sudden they increase the limitations against DUI (like Canada) cases. Like they say you've got to be DUI free for 10 years before you apply for US zitizenship. That makes me nervous.

Thanks again everybody.

I had a DUI in summer of 2007 and successfully applied for US Citizenship (will be taking oath in January).

For your interview you will need a court-certified disposition of your case showing the charges and your successful completion of probation. My examining officer have not even asked any questions about the DUI, just looked at the court paper. However, I do recommend having a lawyer present at the interview (I took one along).

As other people pointed, first-time DUI is not a CIMT. However, "habitual drunkenness" is an indication of poor moral character. So people who admit to being "habitual drunkards" during court proceedings or alcohol education classes risk having such admissions affect their naturalization case later on.

I had a DUI in summer of 2007 and successfully applied for US Citizenship (will be taking oath in January).

For your interview you will need a court-certified disposition of your case showing the charges and your successful completion of probation. My examining officer have not even asked any questions about the DUI, just looked at the court paper. However, I do recommend having a lawyer present at the interview (I took one along).

As other people pointed, first-time DUI is not a CIMT. However, "habitual drunkenness" is an indication of poor moral character. So people who admit to being "habitual drunkards" during court proceedings or alcohol education classes risk having such admissions affect their naturalization case later on.

Would it be possible for you to share your BAC and the cause of stop at the time of your DUI please?

Did you get a lawyer to take care of your DUI? I feel like - judging by the research I've done online and talking to few DUI attorneys - my case is clear cut and I don't have much of chance for bargaining. So, am thinking to save myself 5 grand and do not get an attorney. Still in the assessment phase though. Care to share your personal experience?

Thanks.