finishing exchange

kyx

Registered Users (C)
I would like to know if I drop out my exchange program, so I wouldn't have anything to do with my exchange organization anymore, my visa would be cancelled, even if I go live with a friend and keep studying in another school just until the end of the school year.

yes, if you drop out of your exchange program, you will find yourself out of status immediately .

thank you for the answer. would you know if there is a way for me to go to my friend's house without losing my visa? would i have to change for another visa?

what does "going to my friend's house" have to do with your immigration status?

if you properly transfer to another school, with properly transferred immigration documents, you will still be in status. If you provide more details about what it is you are trying to do, it would be much easier to answer your vague questions.

sorry about my vague question. the problem is: the school that my friend attends is not accepting exchange students anymore, because they already have too many of them. so, to live with him and finish my exchange program, i would have to leave my exchange organization and be as a "son" in his house, with a letter from my real parents allowing me to live with them, so i could attend the same school as he does. my question is: would i need to change my visa to go live with him, dropping my exchange program?

if his school is not accepting other exchange students, then you cannot transfer to it.

That means that if you do not get some other non-immigrant status, and simply quit your exchange program, you will be out of status and will have other immigration-related problems for the rest of your life.

Finish your exchange program. You don't need to go to the same school your friend goes to and you don't need to move in as a "son" in his house, because you don't want to mess up your status.

If you apply for and are granted a visitor status (B1/2), you may stay for up to 6 months. However, say good bye to all the other non-immigrant visas you may want to get in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the visitor visa B2 already. Would I be able to study using this visa?
Thank you for all your answers and your time. You have helped me a lot. ^^

1- If you were admitted as a J-1 into the US, you will not automatically become a B2 tourist once you quit your program. You will be out of status. You must leave and reenter as a tourist in order to be legal.

2- No, you cannot study on a tourist visa. You will not be permitted to enroll with such a status.

kyx said:
I have the visitor visa B2 already. Would I be able to study using this visa?
Thank you for all your answers and your time. You have helped me a lot. ^^

You cannot study on the B2 visitor visa, however you do not need to leave the country to change your status. You can request a change of status through USCIS from J-1 Exchange Visitor to B-2 Visitor. As long as you can prove that you have remained in status until date of file you should be fine. You will also need to contact your J-1 agency and let them know you plan on stopping your training.