Finally got on

Lets get rolling

Hi,

This is a very nice way of voicing out concerns about immigration Laws in USA and learning from each other.

Thanks
Chad

what to do from here

Immigration policy has become a hodge podge of illogical rules that desparatly need reviewing. The capability for on line processing is completely absent. Albeit that we are not meeting the senators, I believed that this forum was to identify gaps and recommend solutions for our state representatives.

Do we have and volunteers on this forum that are going to see the state senators, how do we make a difference?

Re: what to do from here

Originally posted by vol-az-eleanor
Immigration policy has become a hodge podge of illogical rules that desparatly need reviewing. The capability for on line processing is completely absent. Albeit that we are not meeting the senators, I believed that this forum was to identify gaps and recommend solutions for our state representatives.

Do we have and volunteers on this forum that are going to see the state senators, how do we make a difference?

Immigration law is a federal subject. As such all efforts have to be directed towrads the federal legislature - Congress II think that is what you meant, but I just want to make it clear). This forum is created as a part of overall strategy to make our voices heard. People participating in this specific forum would be asked to meet with Members of Congress from their respective states. We as a group will provide all help needed. In other words, we are a grassroots advocay effort.

This is a great forum and I am glad to be a part of it. Immigration Law has certainly developed in the last few years and with the frequent changes in laws, it has become necessary that we become proactive in expressing our opinions that influence the changes in laws. This forum is a great medium to make a difference.

Thank you.

Organizing efforts

I have reviewed your document. We are currently an unknown group and of small number. Possibly we could attach ourselves to larger lobby groups like the AILA and the ACLU and offer input and support as we grow. Is it possible to use them to gain an understanding of the 'lobby' technique.

Also, there are many web sites out there already that allow you to input your zip code and get an automatic E-Mail to the senators, congressmen and even the whitehouse. If we are to organize lobby letters, these are good ways to facilitate members being able to submit the standard letter.

We need to identify an eloquent writer to be responsible for formulating communications.

We need to gather links to easy to understand immigration legislative pages, like the AILA new pages

We need to identify those of legal knowledge to interpret and disseminate the current and formulating laws.

e.g. Currently there is a bill requesting that all immigration be halted until 2008, we need to keep a watchful eye on such bills and raise awareness.

We need a shortlist of immediate needs to address and see how we can organize ourselves to deal with those.

I was quoted before and I did not get a feel as to whether it was in a good or bad way, am I totally misunderstanding what this forum was for. I thought that this forum had nominated 2 representatives from each state to see have an interview with congress. Is this correct? who are they and when will that happen. Do we have the responsibility to gather requirements for them to present?

explaination

H.R. 946, the Mass Immigration Reduction Act of 2003, introduced on February 26 by Representative Tom Tancredo (R-CO), would establish a moratorium on immigration beginning on October 1, 2003, and ending on September 30 of the first fiscal year after fiscal year 2008 during which the President submits a report to Congress, which is approved by a joint resolution of Congress, that the flow of illegal immigration has been reduced to less than 10,000 aliens per year and that any increase in legal immigration resulting from termination of the moratorium would have no adverse impact on the wages and working conditions of U.S., citizens, federal environmental quality standards, or the capacity of various public institutions to serve their resident population.

This is the moritorium blurb I read about. I am not in the legal field, so do not really understand what effect this has.

We need a short list of items to deal with, 'quick wins', get known. How about forcing the issue of being able to update addresses online. This is a 'win win' situation. Easy to pursuade the validity of the cost of development.

I am listening to everyones ideas

We have access to every large group that you folks can think of. But I think grassroots advocay has its own place in addition to their efforts.

Today, I will be meeting with some folks. I have also asked a good friend to coordinate and track our efforts during the summer. Once we get organized and have a plan, we can take over.

Stand by.

Hi I am glad to be selected part of this group. Hoping we as a group can make a positive difference in the immigration laws. We also need to bring to focus the time taken for each of categories in processing green cards.

Thanks

Yup

Originally posted by vol-tx-maya
Hi I am glad to be selected part of this group. Hoping we as a group can make a positive difference in the immigration laws. We also need to bring to focus the time taken for each of categories in processing green cards.

Thanks

Our team had a pretty productive meeting this morning. We will update you folks by tomorrow.

How Can I Help?

Hello and I'm ready to help and do anything I can to improve the immigration process. Here's my story in a nutshell:

In November 2001 I (Tennessee resident) married a British citizen. We filed our I-130 in Texas and was originally told could take 225 days to process. Being totally naive as to the process, we waited the 225 days then found out it was upped to over 600. At that point, August 2002, we filed for the K3. It was approved in the US in November 2002, sent to the consulate in London in December. My husband returned more forms to the consulate, was interviewed in March and moved here on Easter Sunday. At that point, we discovered his K3 did NOT include work authorization so we filed for that (and are still waiting to date). Also, we were notified that our original I-130 was moved from Texas to Missouri for faster process. HA.

All in all, we are frustrated with the time delays, with the lack of information and assistance from immigration (now homeland security) and believe that people who fill out all the forms, follow all the rules and do their best to apply legally get screwed. For example, why on Earth would this country issue a valid K3 VISA to let someone legally enter the country to live and NOT include work authorization? It just slows down our process of becoming a family here -- forcing my husband to wait for a work permit when he could be accepting the jobs he's already been offered!

There has to be a better way -- with technology the way it is today, there should be benefits to those of us who are following all the rules.

hi!

hi all,
As my login works for this particular forum, I am assuming that I have been selected as one of the volunteers from my state, VA. I would like to thank the people in charge for giving me this oppurtunity.
I am still unclear as to what role we have to play here as volunteers. Are we going to be assigned specific tasks to handle or do we just voice our concerns in general in this forum and find ourselves tasks to do ? Rajiv, I believe that you are doing a great job in starting and running this group. A little more direction for us might be very helpful.

Thanks,
Mit

Hey Everyone,
It's nice to be part of a progressive group like this one. Cheers to Rajiv, Monica and Homa for organizing this effort. Just a little bit about myself:
1. Originally from Mumbai, India.
2. Graduated from Georgia-Tech with a BS in Comp Science.
3. Based out of Atlanta, GA.
4. Looking forward to being an active participant in this effort.
Need me to do something... bring it on!!!

Regards,
Abhishek.

As a state moderator, I'm not sure what I need to be doing as opposed to just a volunteer. As soon as I know, I'll be passing that on because like you, I too am ready to do something to improve our immigration process.

I am a volunteer for tx. I have contacted the two senators in my area. They have not sent any written reply even though the senator's rep I talked to took my address. It has been almost 5-6 weeks now.