Finally, an USCIS opinion about our endless question

what i think is :
it depends based from your asylum case.
if you asking asylum because the government persecution then you cant renew your NP.
but if you asking asylum just because something that doesnt related with government persecution , you may renew your NP.
every case reviewed individually , so look at your case and check whether you can go back to your COP or not .

Also, can you share a secret - how are you eligible for your citizenship 2 years after getting your GC?

Yehp, the same question is bothering me.:(

Though my lawyer did mention something that as a politiocal asylee i won't have to wait 5 years since i get my GC. Can't trust him as he promissed me GC in 6-8 months.:confused:

No problems with GC + NP

Just came back from UK (March 11th) through Miami, with GC + Recently renewd NP. No questions asked whatsoever. IO's only words: "Welcome to Miami".

Is UK your COP? If not, of course you would not have any problems. Your problem is with your Country of Origen, you are free to travel all around the world with no problem.

I would like to know whay you are elegible for citizenship in 2008 ? and you are getting your green card in 2007? are they changing the laws? let me know?

Based on military service!

BTW be very careful with this $36,000 (or whatever it is now) of scholarship they promise. I remember talking to one guy from my class who just came from Navy. He said that there are many details that you should be aware about. It's not like you serve and get money right away. Don't let them do what they want to do. You should control this process. Recruiters sound always very promising but you should understand that that is what they get paid for.

Visiting COP and traveling with NP

Hey guys,

Both Thankful and TortFeasor have valid points.

I've been doing a lot of research on this subject the past few months. My grandmother's been really ill and my mom has wanted to visit her back in her COP. After talking to scores of immigration attorneys, reading multiple articles and law books regarding presidence, I couldn't really come up with any definitive answers. What I did learn is that:

On obtaining a GC, one can in fact, definitely travel on one's NP. This was confirmed by at least 3 immigration attorneys and two different USCIS inspectors. A RTD is for GC holders who don't have access to a NP. USCIS doesn't care if you have a NP, as long are you're not using it to travel to your COP. Be aware though.... if you ever apply for a new RTD, you are asked if you applied for or renewed your NP. This may prevent you from getting another RTD, but that's not really an issue if you have a NP to travel on.

Regarding traveling to one's COP, again, there's no definitive answer. While we are technically not allowed to visit the COP until we become US citizens, there are obviously exceptions, including dire circumstances such as visiting a dying or sick relative. Often, if you come back with medical proof, you have a really good reason of being allowed return. On the other hand, one should use one's commonsense when exploring a visit to one's COP. Why would you keep making visits to your COP and expect it not to illicit any suspicion from immigration officers on your return? If you can freely visit your COP, why did you seek protection in the US in the first place? These are common sense questions even I think about, let alone a savvy Immigration Officer.

There's no final answer to any of the above questions, expect that, I truly think its ok to travel on a NP, while clearly risky visiting one's COP, unless in extreme cases.

Cheers.

Asylum Granted: 1/1/2000
AOS ND : 1/18/06
RFE: 1/24/06 (medical)
BIO Code 3: 2/24/06
BIO Completed: 3/24/06
Approved: 3/14/07

RDMO, did you apply for a new NP after you received your GC? No problem what so ever? I'm considering renewing my NP since the RTD is valid for only one year at a time and is a major pain in the ass. I can't tell you how many IOs abroad (Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Italy and Australia) have stared at me like a common criminal and taken up to 30 minutes to verify it.

I've heard from 3 immigration attorneys and 2 immigration officers that its completely OK to use a NP. Does that definitely apply even if you want to renew it?

Thanks.

Cop

I have gone thru exactly the same situation as you elaborated it. I had to go to my COP two times in year 2004 & 2005 respectively with a renewed NP after acquiring my asylum based GC.I`m now in the process of becoming a US citizen and am very much aware that during the citizenship interview, am going to be questioned why i took those trips.

The main point as you mentioned is to have evidence to coroborate as to why you went to your COP. The two main reasons that are acceptable are death in family/family member sick, i.e parents,sisters,brothers spouse children. Another viable reason is if the political situation changes e.g countries like Sudan,Iraq,Somalia,Congo etc,Otherwise do not think about going to your COP. We had thorough discussions pertaining the same topic in the past forums posted in year 2004. I will be happy to let you know the outcome of my interveiw which i expect in a few months time.

Enchilada,

My mom's the derivative asylee (or rather was until she got her GC) through my dad. I know that they don't scrutinize GC holders who were derivative asylees, upon return from COP, as much as if they were the principal.....

RDMO, did you apply for a new NP after you received your GC? No problem what so ever?

WoosterLad, yes, I got my GC Sep/05, applied for new NP in Dec/06 (I lost previous NP), fortunately I have no problem getting one from my COP's consulate.

My worry is that my NP expired in 2003 and my COP requires a letter explaining why I let the NP expire for so long. I fear that if they really dig deep, they may be able to go on the USCIS Web site and figure out what the A6 category is.

Additionally, when you apply for naturalization, does the fact that you applied for a NP ever come up?