Filling out the N-400 - what if I don't have all the information or if dates are incorrect?

easybay

Registered Users (C)
I have worked several part time jobs over the course of the last 5 years, and I don't have my exact dates of my employment. I do have an approximation of when I worked. Must I track down the exact dates or is the approximation ok? Also - I will be sending them in next week, and I have 2 trips planned out of the county - do I list these trips on my application? Thanks!

Just list the approximate, exact dates aren't necessary unless you have them.

No need to list those trips, when called for an interview, you will have the opportunity to amend the application form, by adding those trips.

Al - if you are still there - in the affiliations section - are they looking for church affiliation and any social clubs? Charities? Is this like a college application where you want to look good - so fill it up? Or is more to see slanted political or radical religious affiliations?

Just list church, charities and social clubs. Avoid anything controversial, like KKK or GOP...lol!!! In all seriousness, just list simple organization which you were part of, sororities too are fine. The idea here is for people who belong modern day Nazi's group or other hate groups, whom the USCIS can associate with nazi principles which the US is opposed to. In this day and age, we do have skins heads and so forth, and if you belonged to those groups, you will have a difficult interview...

It shouldn't need to be said that truthfulness is the best policy on filling out the N-400. I made political contributions during the 2008 federal elections, which was perfectly legal for me to do as a Legal Permanent Resident at that time. My name can easily be found on the Federal Elections Commission website where all such donations are published. I was careful to include this information on my N-400. It would be stupid to omit being a GOP or Democratic donor when the information is published by the federal government! Furthermore, I would think that participating in American politics to the extent legally permitted to permanent residents ought to be taken as a positive by USCIS. It shows the person is eager to be an active participant in the US democracy.

anxious,

When I mentioned the GOP I was being fastidious. I said as a jest...which I see flew past you....

It would be stupid to omit being a GOP or Democratic donor when the information is published by the federal government! .
You're making the false assumption that omitting such an association on N-400 would be cause for denial. The purpose of the affiliation question is to determine if you were part of any illegal groups, not if you omitted any legal ones.

You're making the false assumption that omitting such an association on N-400 would be cause for denial. The purpose of the affiliation question is to determine if you were part of any illegal groups, not if you omitted any legal ones.

I'm not really making as drastic an assumption as all that. I guess I do think that pointless lies and omissions might suggest that one's moral character is not the best, if these inaccuracies happened to come to the attention of the IO. Why omit blameless information?

I suppose I should stop worrying that Al Southner's lame attempts at humor are going to confuse people. Mr Southner, however, really needs to employ an English dictionary, especially before attempting a crushing comment. He appears to have the adjective fastidious confused with facetious.