Filling in Passport app early, problems?

WhichWay2Go

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I am getting things ready for my Oath next week and also lodging my Passport application. I have learned that the online version of the Passport application might speed things up because stuff is encoded on the form making it easier to put into the system.

Question:
Is there any issue with using the online system as I am not yet a Citizen. I will not be lodging the application until I get that Certificate in my hot little paws.

I am assuming that the online system does not transfer stuff to a database but just encoding information for printing here. I am guessing they are using something like MaxiCode or Aztec or some other Data Matrix 2D coding.

Comments greatly appreciated.

It's not an issue to prefill and print out the passport application online as you don't have to swear that you are a citizen before you print it out. The citizen declaration only happens once you sign the actual document.

Brian,

Could you update once you do this? I too want to apply for passport as soon as it is possible. May be I will start the process next week (my oath is the week after that).

If we apply online (or print the forms), do we still need to goto a passport agency or post office?

In addition to the encoded information, the online application also helped me understand what information is really required vs optional. The online wizard just walks you through step by step. Great job from state dept on this one. They also specifically state that the information is not stored in any database. It will (I believe) lessen any typo issues that handwriting introduces and minimize associated errors on passport data.

Funny thing is, phone number on the application is optional, yet the postal agent insisted that I put in the phone number. I gave it out so they could call me if there is issue with application.

It's not an issue to prefill and print out the passport application online as you don't have to swear that you are a citizen before you print it out. The citizen declaration only happens once you sign the actual document.

Thanks Bob, that was kind of my line of thinking, but now that Absrao stated they specifically say it is not stored I feel comfortable doing it in the hope it will speed things up. Scanning the data in may help rather than the application waiting inline for it to be typed in manually by someone at the Passport office.

I will go do that right now. My Oath is not until next week but I gotta do something this waiting is killing me. :D
If you change your name, I would suggest to go to the SSA first and then to DMV. Although I made quite a few copies of the certificate, I still figured that if the passport agency lost it, then at least I would have a new driving licence and a new SS card along with an updated SS database which would ease my existence for another year or so.

Thanks Abs., I will go do that right now. My Oath is not until next week but I gotta do something this waiting is killing me. :D

Why not watch some tv?

Just joking, we need a ducking out of sight smiley!!

I'm asuming you want to get the application all ready to scurry straight from the oath to the passport office, if so go ahead and fill it out print it and do the final signature at the passport office when you have the certificate to back it up.

I'm assuming you want to get the application all ready to scurry straight from the oath to the passport office,

Hi Mack, good to see you back, if it is the same Mack, that is. :)

Yup, the passport office is in the next block to the Court house for the Oath.

In Phoenix the Oath is at 401 W Washington and the Passport office is at 601 W Jefferson, the next main street South. Probably a 3 minute drive and 2-1/2 minutes of that will be stuck at traffic lights. :D Maybe even walk it faster depending on weather though.

I don't have TV by the way. Have not watched any for around 6 years and don't feel I am missing anything.

I filled in the online form yesterday, so if the storm troopers are coming, they have a week and one day to get here before I am a USC. :D :D Damn, this IS exciting.

Note to self.
Use the cruise control, cruise control, cruise control, :)

Hi Mack, good to see you back, if it is the same Mack, that is. :)

Yup, the passport office is in the next block to the Court house for the Oath.

In Phoenix the Oath is at 401 W Washington and the Passport office is at 601 W Jefferson, the next main street South. Probably a 3 minute drive and 2-1/2 minutes of that will be stuck at traffic lights. :D Maybe even walk it faster depending on weather though.

I don't have TV by the way. Have not watched any for around 6 years and don't feel I am missing anything.

I filled in the online form yesterday, so if the storm troopers are coming, they have a week and one day to get here before I am a USC. :D :D Damn, this IS exciting.

Note to self.
Use the cruise control, cruise control, cruise control, :)

You also have to think about what you will do when all this is said and done. Trust me, this has become so addictive that we need a 'debriefing' thread where folks who are done hang out and discuss how to move on :) . I cant stay out of these threads for a day.

I cant stay out of these threads for a day.

Hey Abs, I don't know what you mean by that! :D This is my third time today logging in. :D

so addictive that we need a 'debriefing' thread where folks who are done hang out and discuss how to move on

I love the idea. There is the forum for "Life after Citizenship." Maybe that's where all the broken down worriers are recuperating. Maybe start a forum named CSA (Citizenship Seekers Anonymous)

"Hi my name is Brian, I have had anticipation stress, for 114 days..." :D

Hey Abs, I don't know what you mean by that! :D This is my third time today logging in. :D

I love the idea. There is the forum for "Life after Citizenship." Maybe that's where all the broken down worriers are recuperating. Maybe start a forum named CSA (Citizenship Seekers Anonymous)

"Hi my name is Brian, I have had anticipation stress, for 114 days..." :D
Hi Brian, I am absrao, I dont know what I have but I am all done but still cant stay out of this site. :) I am planning to block this site in my dns and may be learn a new language :(

I swear I am going to stay out of these forums...

"1 day later"

"Hi all, I have this scratch on my passport card. Its not visible but can spot it under close inspection. Do you guys think it ..........." :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hi all, I have this scratch on my passport card. Its not visible but can spot it under close inspection. Do you guys think it ..........." :) :)

Welcome to CSA, you are member # 2 and counting... :D :D :D :D :D

My 4th visit today! :0

Note to self.
I gotta get a life, I gotta get a life, I gotta...