Filing time and tax question

LandShark

Registered Users (C)
In may 2010, it will be five years after I got my GC
I heard that you can apply for citizenship a few month piror.
Is it true?

I didn't have a job until mid 2008 and I was living on my parents support from foreign country
They wire money to me occationally.
Will that be a problem durng the interview?

You can apply 90 days prior to your 5 year GC anniversary, but you need to count exactly 90 days, not three months.

If you didn't earn any income, then you don't have to pay any taxes. However, you may need to show that you are employed now and will not seek state or federal assistance in the future.

thanks so much for the info.

i have never take any trip outside of US in the past 10 years. do i even need to provide tax docs?

anyone has experience on supporting docs to share?

thanks in advance

thanks so much for the info.

i have never take any trip outside of US in the past 10 years. do i even need to provide tax docs?

anyone has experience on supporting docs to share?

thanks in advance

On your application you will have to provide the names of past employers. If you have a long gap of unemployment, the IO may question what your main source of income was during the time. Since you had no income, you didn't file taxes correct?

If you did not make any trips outside the U.S, then you will mark number of days spent outside as 0 and same for number of trips.

Bring copies of your tax returns from 2008. Do you have any receipts or documents to show that your parents sent you the money?

no, i didnt file tax return until 2008.

my parents were supporting me from China, last wire was around year 1999, then 2001, my mother came to visit me and brought me alomost 10K in cash. later, a friend brought me some cash too.

no, i didnt file tax return until 2008.

my parents were supporting me from China, last wire was around year 1999, then 2001, my mother came to visit me and brought me alomost 10K in cash. later, a friend brought me some cash too.

This would be considered income and you would have had to file a return. You should try and do so prior to filing for naturalization as there are questions on the N-400 form pertaining to owing taxes. You may not necessarily owe taxes based on the small sum of money you earned, but you need to have paperwork in order.

i was still on student visa.

i will try to get the statement from bank, i dont know if they can provide the statement from 10 years ago.

update: bank of america only keeps record for 7 years, after that, there is no way to get the statement from their database

Last edited by a moderator: