Filing taxes

Spacy

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am in the process of applying for citizenship and I am filling out the N-400 form: last year,2006, I worked for a couple of days and did not make much money. In my W2 form, I have no federal income taxes withheld but only 12$ social security tax and 3$ medicare tax. Everybody, including the accountant in the company I work for, told me that it is not worth it to file because I paid almost nothing. But now that I have to apply for citizenship and answer the question "have you ever failed to file for taxes", I am worried about it. Should i have filed last year? If yes, is it possible to file late?

Thanks!

Obviously, if you did not have any taxes to pay, you cannot 'fail' to have filed: the IRS rules for requiring a tax return are pretty straight forward.

I would not worry about this.

"file taxes" and "pay taxes" are two different things, you must file tax returns even if you don't owe any taxes.

you must file tax returns even if you don't owe any taxes.

Obviously, this is false.

As I said, the IRS has simple rules as to when you MUST file taxes, and it is based on amount and type of income. Only when income exceeds these threshholds is filing mandatory (even if no tax is owed).

Who must file?
Single: earning more than $8750
Married couple: more than $17500

To original poster: Just make sure you keep a copy of your W-2, and have your latest annual Social Security report. This will more than suffice in addressing any questions that may come up about taxes.