Filing N400

Sansu

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

i received my GC on 07/06/2004, so as per rules that makes me eligible to apply on 04/06/2009.

As i was reading thro the post of documents required for submitting N400, i saw that you have to write a covering letter. Is this required? Does anyone have a sample of the covering letter?

I have a few long trip of 4 months each, this was a year ago. Do you think i should mention that in the covering letter and give an explanation as to why i was gone for so long?
I had to go for family emergency and have medical certificates to prove the same.

The documents i think i have to submit along with N400 are:

1. Completed form.
2. 2 pictures signed in the back with A# number
3. Money order/check
4. Covering Letter

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks in advance

A cover letter would be nice though not necessary. Letter explaining absences are not needed. You have listed all other documents needed.
Make sure that you mail it AFTER it is 5 years less 90 days otherwise it risks getting rejected.

I am completely unaware of any requirement for a cover letter when filing an N-400. I did not need a cover letter and it never came up during my naturalization process.

You do have some long absences to explain because there is a continuous physical presence requirement for naturalization. However, since all of these absences appear to be less than six months, you may still be able to naturalize. To be sure, I would check the USCIS Guide to Naturalization, which is available at uscis.gov/naturalization. There is a long set of checklists for physical presence and continuous presence determination. If you can get through that without any issues, you should be fine.

I am completely unaware of any requirement for a cover letter when filing an N-400. I did not need a cover letter and it never came up during my naturalization process.

You do have some long absences to explain because there is a continuous physical presence requirement for naturalization. However, since all of these absences appear to be less than six months, you may still be able to naturalize. To be sure, I would check the USCIS Guide to Naturalization, which is available at uscis.gov/naturalization. There is a long set of checklists for physical presence and continuous presence determination. If you can get through that without any issues, you should be fine.

I did go thro the guide and i am fine cos none of my trips are longer than 6 months and also, this was last year - i have not had a trip to my home country for 1 yr now

one of my kids is born in India and other one in US, do i list them both in the application?

Hi All,

I have a question about Employment history in the N400 application.

I am not sure of the month i left my job in 2004, is that ok if i put an approx date/month?

How does USICS confirm about employment/or employment dates?

Thanks

yes. approx. dates are fine. you will not have a problem. they basically wanna know what you've been up to for the past 5 years.

Hi All,

I have a question about Employment history in the N400 application.

I am not sure of the month i left my job in 2004, is that ok if i put an approx date/month?

How does USICS confirm about employment/or employment dates?

Thanks

If you are not sure then you dont have much choice other than putting down a good guesstimate. It should not create problems, as the USCIS is probably looking for gaps in employment coupled with long absenses from the US to determine if they want to see your tax transcripts.

I would try to find out exact dates from old papers, resumes, credit reports etc etc, and if I cannot, I would guesstimate. If you find out the exact date after filing the N400 you can always update it at the interview.

Hi All,

This might sound dumb, but i just want to make sure, can you please advise what adress shoudl i send my application to if i am planning on using USPS priority mail. should i send to PO BOX or other address. On the website it say the following:

If you currently reside in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, send your application to the USCIS Lockbox Facility at:

USCIS
P.O. Box 21251
Phoenix, AZ 85036

For express/courier deliveries, use:

USCIS
Attn: N-400
1820 E Skyharbor Cicle S, Floor 1
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Hi All,

This might sound dumb, but i just want to make sure, can you please advise what adress shoudl i send my application to if i am planning on using USPS priority mail. should i send to PO BOX or other address. On the website it say the following:

If you currently reside in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, send your application to the USCIS Lockbox Facility at:

USCIS
P.O. Box 21251
Phoenix, AZ 85036

For express/courier deliveries, use:

USCIS
Attn: N-400
1820 E Skyharbor Cicle S, Floor 1
Phoenix, AZ 85034

If you are sending by regular or priority USPS mail, use the first address. If you are using USPS express mail or Fedex/UPS courier service use the second address.

I really really need. I saw this in the guide Effect of Removal Proceedings -If you have been ordered removed, you are no longer eligible for naturalization. I filed for asylum and when I had my interview my application was denied and I was sent a letter "notice of hearing in removal proceedings". My case was reviewed by an immigration judge and my asylum approved. I have been a Green Card holder for five years and want to apply for citizenship. My question is since I was in removal proceedings does this mean I can't become a citizen?

Being ordered removed and in removal proceedings is not the same thing. You were never ordered removed, so you are eligible for naturalization.