filing I140/485 without EAD and AP

Obelix1

Registered Users (C)
Hello to you all,

I am in the process of applying for NIW for physicians. I am in my first year of J1-waiver and working at a VA on a H1. I read that we can apply for I-140/485/765/131 at the same time. In my case, I have to stay on my H1 for at least two more years. My wife currently is on H4. She is pregnant and won't use EAD before 2008. My questions are:

1) In order to save money, can we just file I-140/485 together and file I-765/131 later when we need it? I wonder why I would ask for EAD/AP now since I need to stay on H1 till 2009...

2) If we do so, how long should it take to have I-765/131 approved later on?

Thanks

1) In order to save money, can we just file I-140/485 together and file I-765/131 later when we need it? I wonder why I would ask for EAD/AP now since I need to stay on H1 till 2009...
Yes. Your wife can file for EAD, it would allow her to work.

2wks to 6 months.

Hello to you all,

I am in the process of applying for NIW for physicians. I am in my first year of J1-waiver and working at a VA on a H1. I read that we can apply for I-140/485/765/131 at the same time. In my case, I have to stay on my H1 for at least two more years. My wife currently is on H4. She is pregnant and won't use EAD before 2008. My questions are:

Thanks

It is not mandatory to apply for all of that, even you can apply for I-140 only and later on you can apply for I-485. But if your wife or children wants EAD you should file your I-485 before them or at least in the same package with their I-485, EAD.

The other benifit of the EAD in your hand is; if you want to do extra job, you can, but the H is restricted to one employer only. The other aspect is the fee which mostly will be increased almost three times sometimes soon per USCIS proposal.

New fee for 485 ($905) will include fees for EADs and APs, just to let you know,
Also, I'm not entirely sure that one can use EAD even for extra job while in the initial 3 year period, may require an extra H1 for that purpose.

New fee for 485 ($905) will include fees for EADs and APs, just to let you know,
Also, I'm not entirely sure that one can use EAD even for extra job while in the initial 3 year period, may require an extra H1 for that purpose.

On the basis of what I gathered in this forum, effectively I cannot use EAD for the first three years because I'll loose my H1 status and I need my H1 status for three years because of my J1 waiver. If I didn't have a J1 waiver, then I could use EAD.