Filing I130 on own

immi_mygc

Registered Users (C)
Is there any difference to file I130 on own than using Lawyer. I have filled application and supporting forms. All seems to be straight forward without any difficulties. I have all supporting documents. Or is it better to go through lawyer.

What type of case is it? if it's Family based they are very straight forward, however EB or Asylum based cases a Attorney is recommended.

It is straigt forward Greencard holder filing for the spouce who is in India in F2A categary. My greencard is through employment.

It should be straightforward as long as it's a straightforward case without any out of status issues and so forth. Don't waste money on lawyer. There's a great book on amazon or you might find it in library, where I found it, that's from NOLO publishers and it's called:

Fiance & Marriage Visas: A Couple's Guide to U.S. Immigration [Paperback]
Ilona Bray J.D. (Author)

Did you file I-130 on your own. It is straight forward, without any complicated questions. Just finding people file on their own successfully & got approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I filed I130 for my wife last week, this part was simple. Initially I thought of applying through lawyer, but they asked me for 3K$ just for helping me with the process, application fees excluded, which I thought was too much. I hope rest of the process is as simple. I am still confused whether to apply for I129F.

my case is typical to yours ...i am going to file i-130 for my wife ...i am totally confused ...which document i suppose to attach along with the application to prove marriage bona fide ...

I filed I130 for my wife last week, this part was simple. Initially I thought of applying through lawyer, but they asked me for 3K$ just for helping me with the process, application fees excluded, which I thought was too much. I hope rest of the process is as simple. I am still confused whether to apply for I129F.

You don't need to apply for the I-129F.

Is there any difference to file I130 on own than using Lawyer. I have filled application and supporting forms. All seems to be straight forward without any difficulties. I have all supporting documents. Or is it better to go through lawyer.

Yes, there is a big difference between hiring an attorney & doing it on your own. And that's like you can do it all yourself ( Very simple ) & spend that couple of grand for shopping or spend the money for nothing.
Remember proving your marriage bonafide you sure don't need a lawyer for that. I know lot other members will probably disagree with me but trust me I just did all by myself ( Wife out of status for the last 8 yrs ) & it's simple. I had the same feeling back in April this year when I was getting ready to apply for my wife. Most people said get a lawyer but I decided not to. Now if you go for an consultation about your case to an attorney you could be 100% sure attorney will sound your case needs attorney's attention but don't fall into that cause that's what they do for living.
Don't get me wrong about attorney issues. For example if some one is applying for an asylum procedings it is very wise to represent an attorney but to prove you are really married to your spouse certainly don't require that.
If you need any help feel free to ask me. You can private message me & I'll help you.
Atique.

Look at my progress below. I filed I-130 and everything else on my own (marriage based). I didn't buy a book or anything. I'm sure you'll have no trouble doing everything by yourself IF you do it carefully and look up on internet.

I also think so.

Please confirm. There is question 21 in I-130 form. "21. If filing for your husband/wife, give last address at which you lived together. (Include street, city, province, if any, and country): from: To". In case of Greencard holder went to India for 6 weeks and stayed together with spouse 3-4 weeks after marriage at native address. So answer would be for this question 21 is home address and period would be 3-4 weeks. Is this correct.