Filed for GC through employer. Spouse becoming USC.

aat0995

Registered Users (C)
Hello Friends,

I have filed I-485 through my employer as well as I have filed I-130 through my wife who is a green card holder. I-130 has not been approved yet.

She will become a USC in a few days and I was wondering how should I go about it? From what I understand I have to call USCIS and tell them to upgrade the status on my application so that I don't come under any quota.

Is there any way I can change the I-130 processing to consular processing (Mumbai consulate) ? I believe it will be faster than waiting for adjustment in the country.

Please advice :).
Thanks,
AAT0995

Last edited by a moderator:
Adjustment of status via marriage to a US citizen is very fast these days. Less than 3 months in some cases.

If filing for AOS, you don't need to call them to upgrade the petition. Just send in the I-485 with a copy of her naturalization certificate (plus the usual other documents required for the I-485, like I-693, copy of the I-130 receipt/approval, etc.), and they will figure it out.

Thanks! I think then I will go with AOS in US itself. Interstingly, my I-130 got approved even before my wife took oath!

Got it! Just a sweet coincidence that my wife passed her citizenship test and here my I-130 got approved :)