File WOM

nj_skm

Registered Users (C)
All,

I think there are quite a few of us who are thinking of filing a WOM.

I have started this thread for those who are interested in this.

I will follow up later this evening and get a checklist of things to do before filing WOM.

All those interested, please let me know and we'll get together and go thru with this.

Maybe we can get together and hire an attorney who is good (Khanna, Murthu etc) and do it.

Or we could do it ourselves and use this thread/forum as a support group to help each other out.

Ideas are welcome, of course!

nj_skm

excellent -- I was going to start something like this

we should post any information as we gather. I am also up for filing a WOM together using Murthy or Khurana. We should first check if this is possible ie multiple folks from different places filing WOM together...what are the pre-requisites and so on.

As everyone chats with their lawyers and so on and gathers more information please post it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
And here is some stuff, thanks to dl1cd:

1. Send letters to FBI - use Google to find out the names and addresses of the officers who can help you. State the case and request to expedite. Expected outcome - nothing.

2. Send letter to USCIS Ombudsman. Expected outcome - letter response.

3. Contact your local congressman and ask for help. Expected outcome - varies.

4. Contact your senator and state your case. Expected outcome - varies.

5. Take an infopass appointment and get case details (when was the query sent to FBI etc.)

It is terrible, but there are gradual escalation steps -

6. Try to get a record using FOIA (Freedom of Information Act). Expected result - varies. You may get a clean chit from them and still won't do any good.

7. If your employer supports it, consider filing a Writ of Mandamus. Prior to doing this, keep a record of EVERYTHING YOU HAVE TRIED IN YOUR POWERS - including copies of INFOPASS appointments. This option will cost you around $7K, but will produce a result in ~1 month.

Good luck!

Good Idea - I am in

Guys,

I am also thinking filing WOM on my own. It is really a nice idea of getting together and do it if we can.

What information do you need from all who are interested in doing WOM together?

Lawyer Info

Maybe this is useful.

My lawyer (company's) would charge $3000 as fee and $400 for filing. but he said he is open to negotiate.

I am in Guys ..
I have been doing all of the listed ..except for FOIPA ..which I am doing today.
We all need to finish with the listed items for the courts to take us seriously.
If we are more than 30 ..can we bring a class action law suit ..!!!!
Well lets just get on with it.
Can one of you guys create a google group and make it easier to contact each other ..?

Classaction... has a nice ring to it

There already is a yahoo group for this:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/namechecktracker
I haven't subscribed to it so I don't know how effective/current it is.
Maybe someone could send an email and check it out?

And google groups: http://groups.google.com/group/fbinamecheck

Calmguy, since you've already done the prior steps, could you help us out?
Please give us a template letter to write to the USCIS ombudsman, senator, congressman, FBI etc.
We can all use the same template and finish the initial steps.

Getting together 30 people might not be too difficult. Also if the size of the suit is big enough and a good attorney leads the charge, USCIS/FBI might be forced into making a few policy changes to benefit everyone.

Anyway, first things first.

Calmguy or anyone else, please give us the templates for the letters. If they're already on this site (as they most likely will be) and if you know the location, please post the links.

Rest of us will send them out no later than the end of this week and we'll see what happens.

Don't be lazy, friends. I want to have the letters by tomorrow and I'll send them out no later than tomorrow. Rest of you please do your best to meet the end of week deadline.

We can compare notes next week to see if everyone interested has sent out the letters. Then we wait for the responses to trickle in.

Worst case, by January end all of us should have some sort of responses (almost all useless).

Then we can move onto infopass and finally WOM.

nj_skm

Last edited by a moderator:
calmguy said:
I got a reply from Senator Clinton's office. I ust sent another one to Senator Schumer.
Do you remember how long did it take to answer? I faxed my letter to them a week ago. Do you think to file WOM pro se or hire a lawyer?
Thanks.

question about senators

Since there are two senators for each state, whom should we address the letter to?

Details!!! in case it can help someone

I have done most of the steps mentioned above. I have filed FOIPA in August and got a confirmation of the receipt of the letter in about 2 weeks and a response in about 4 weeks. The format of this letter is standard and you can get it by doing a search on this forum for "FOIPA".

I contacted my local congressman's office and they checked with FBI and confirmed that my name check is pending with the FBI.

The interesting thing in my case is I filed my 485 in Sept. 2004 but the USCIS folks decided not to send my name check/DOB to FBI for check till July!!Not sure why they slept on it for 7+ months.

I tried contacting my local senator but their office said that 2 years should have passed (since the request gets sent to the FBI) for them to initiate an enquiry with the FBI and asked me to contact after July 2007!!! Yeah Right!!!

anyways, you can do most of the items listed above in parallel like filing FOIPA, contact local Congressman's office and so on.

Hopefully we can all see an end to this!!!

nj_skm said:
And here is some stuff, thanks to dl1cd:

1. Send letters to FBI - use Google to find out the names and addresses of the officers who can help you. State the case and request to expedite. Expected outcome - nothing.

2. Send letter to USCIS Ombudsman. Expected outcome - letter response.

3. Contact your local congressman and ask for help. Expected outcome - varies.

4. Contact your senator and state your case. Expected outcome - varies.

5. Take an infopass appointment and get case details (when was the query sent to FBI etc.)

It is terrible, but there are gradual escalation steps -

6. Try to get a record using FOIA (Freedom of Information Act). Expected result - varies. You may get a clean chit from them and still won't do any good.

7. If your employer supports it, consider filing a Writ of Mandamus. Prior to doing this, keep a record of EVERYTHING YOU HAVE TRIED IN YOUR POWERS - including copies of INFOPASS appointments. This option will cost you around $7K, but will produce a result in ~1 month.

Good luck!

Im curious.. whether it is really necessary to have the support of emloyer for filing WOM. Why do you think it is necessary?

Cnn

I think we all need to send out an email to CNN and other media channnels.
I am sure if we generate enough media attention something will be done as namecheck is affecting the Citizenship process also.
So lets all send out a letter to Lou Dobbs and mention all our efforts and problems etc.