Fiance visa or green card

rk mr

Registered Users (C)
I am seeking advice on the quickest way to bring in my fiance to the US. I am close to applying for my naturalization. If all goes smoothly I will be a citizen later this year.

How long does K1 or K3 take now? I understand I can apply for either of them as soon as I am a citizen. K1 for fiance or K3 for wife of citizen.

Is there any benefit in this process in being married at the time of applying for naturalization? Is it possible to start of any of the process right now?

GC for spouse will take a long time(is it 6months?), I believe. Is that worth trying?

Please suggest from your experiences. If I could make some choices before filing N400, this would greatly help.

Thank you very much.

I would suggest that you finish your citizenship process and once you are a US citizen, it would be a lot easier to file for your fiance to come to the US.

Of course you can start the process as a green card holder but it will be much longer and also, to change the status of your fiance's application once you become a US citizen can be a pain in the behind.

It's up to you how you'd like to do it but in my opinion, finish your citizenship first and then bring her over. It'll save you a lot of time. :)

first of all, a GC holder cannot bring a fiance on K1 visa, happigal.

To original poster: go with K1 if you are concerned about the speed of the process. Make sure you have proof that you met within 2 years.

Do read info in K-1 subforum.

Thanks for your replies, happigal, LucyMO.
How long does the K1 visa take? Since I am applying for n400 soon, do I need to do anything now to speed up the K1?

The k1 sub-forum seemed to be dormant. There was no response or activity for long periods.