Federal Student Loans

GC-Ind

Registered Users (C)
A quick question for you experts,

If a person has a dependent I-485 pending (applied I-485 through wife/husband), and that person wants to go to school then does that person qualify for Federal Student Loans.

Some people told me that a person actually has to have the green card in hand to get federal loans, so I just wanted to check that maybe "I-485 pending" also qualifies a person for Federal Loans.

Thanks

Eligibilty for FAFSA

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is your starting point for applying to most student financial assistance programs. Many states and schools also use the FAFSA as part of their application process for non-federal aid.

THIS IS WHAT FAFSA STATES

citizen/eligible non-citizen
To be eligible for federal student aid, the borrower must be a: 1) US citizen; 2) US national (including natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island); or, 3) US permanent resident (who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Alien Registration Card). If not in one of these categories, the borrower must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from US Immigration and Naturalization Service showing one of the following designations in order to be eligible: "Refugee," "Asylum Granted," "Indefinite Parole" and/or "Humanitarian Parole," or "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending." If the borrower has only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), the borrower is not eligible for federal student aid. If the borrower is in the US on an F1or F2 student visa only, or on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only, or with a G series visa, then the borrower is not eligible for federal student aid.

unless you have ALien Registration card in your hand you are not eligible for Federal loan, but you can get loan from SalieMae with parent (USC) co signer.

If parent also not USA or green card, then go for private loan from SalieMae with relative co signer. (Signature loan)

GC-Ind said:
A quick question for you experts,

If a person has a dependent I-485 pending (applied I-485 through wife/husband), and that person wants to go to school then does that person qualify for Federal Student Loans.

Some people told me that a person actually has to have the green card in hand to get federal loans, so I just wanted to check that maybe "I-485 pending" also qualifies a person for Federal Loans.

Thanks