FBI Name Check

Hello Shahpr & frantiscky,

Apart from infopass, have you guys tried writing to Congressman? I am pretty sure you have tried writing to them. I am still waiting to hear from USCIS on progress on my GC, however, the Congressman's Office has been a big big help in terms of contacting their liason in USCIS and following up on the issues (apart from Namecheck).

maybe they can help as they have access to someone in USCIS who can get u answers.

Hi -

Infact I just started my writing letters to the whole world. Ombudsman, Congressman, Senator, Bush.

Do you guys have any suggestions to who else i can write?

Thanks

Question about form letter from NBC

Hi - My timeline is in my signature - basically I've been waiting on namecheck for about 10 months approx. I sent a letter inquiring about my status with the NBC at Lee's Summit, MO and I got a form letter today which has the following box checked.

"Our records show that your petition or application is pending at this time and has been transferred to the USCIS office at DALLAS, TX"

What does this mean? Is the FBI name check complete or is this just wishful thinking on my part? My LUD is April 17th, so that indicates no action at all. Any pointers?

Hello

Pintobean file a WOM sue them ,

Well, I'm thinking of filing for WOM but my lawyer is saying that it will cost lots of money. Any idea how much will filing WOM cost? I just need an estimate. I haven't spoken to my lawyer yet cuz he just sent us a letter explaining our options. At this point, I am so frustrated cuz I've already spent so much money:( Is it worth filing a WOM? What is the guarantee that my namecheck will go through faster after I file.

All suggestions are welcome!!

DO: Baltimore, MD
H1B -> Married to USC Husband
Living in US - Since 1999

12/30/2005 - Sent I-485/I-130/I-765/I-864/I-693/G-325 to Chicago Lockbox
01/2005 - Receive notices from INS saying they have our papers
01/2005 - Date for Biometrics/fingerprint
02/14/2006 - FBI sent Fingerprint report to USCIS
02/18/06 - Received New EAD
06/28/06 - Interview with Immigration Officer (All looks good - he said)
10/15/06 - Foreign travel for 3 weeks
Since then Pending Background Check from FBI
01/10/07 - Filed for renewal EAD
02/15/07 - Biometrics/fingerprint date
03/22/06 - Received renewed EAD 2
11/15/07 - Filed for renewal EAD ($340)
12/18/07 - Biometrics/Fingerprint date
12/26/07 - Received renewed EAD 3

Last edited by a moderator:
question

Hi all-

Well my wife and I are in the NC boat too, only since Nov 07 though. Couple of questions.

Our I-130 was approved on day of interview. I have noticed that some people have had to have a second interview. I presume it serves the purpose of the first interview. Will we be likely to have to do this if we go past the 1+ year mark of name check land? She redid the finger prints at the infopass in Dec 07.

What status is a person in at this point? My wife was on h1b (f1 prior). We have EAD and AP. Does she still need to be working to be in status or could she stop working if we choose?

Thanks!

Hi all-

Our I-130 was approved on day of interview. I have noticed that some people have had to have a second interview. I presume it serves the purpose of the first interview. Will we be likely to have to do this if we go past the 1+ year mark of name check land? She redid the finger prints at the infopass in Dec 07.

Could you post your timeline? Many of us have had to have several finger printings. They are usually requested every 15 months. But one may also required to do a finger printing when the EAD application is submitted separately from the I-485 (at least it was my case). I hadn't applied for the EAD initially because I was also under an H1b and I didn't want to spend money for nothing.

As for the 2nd interview, it seems to happen to those who changed DO in the process AND were stuck in name check for about 2 years. I wouldn't worry about that in your case. If you look at this thread, you'll find that recent applications have been processed much faster. The name check program was understaffed til last summer but they seem to have solved the problem by doubling the application fees late July 07.
What status is a person in at this point? My wife was on h1b (f1 prior). We have EAD and AP. Does she still need to be working to be in status or could she stop working if we choose?

I don't really understand your question. What do you mean? Who is the sponsor? You or your wife? I assume that you are a US citizen or a permanent resident?
In any case, your wife is considered a pending permanent resident now. Whether she wants to work or not is totally up to you. HOWEVER, I can see one potential problem: when you applied to adjust status, you filed I-864 (or maybe someone did it for you?). That form is evidence that your household has enough financial resource so that your wife doesn't become a burden seeking benefits (social security, etc) in the US. I would read the instructions of the I-864 form to see what they recommend doing when a person's situation changes.
Hope that helps,
noar

just got back from an Infopass yesterday. It was worth the 3 hours wait...

My case has been pending since Jan 2007 for background check and it cleared on 12/11/2007...now the next step

Had my interview back in December 06

Hello BlackStripes,

You were 100% right! I got my passport stamped today. I am now a permanent resident, can't believe it. Thanks for diffusing your optimism and good luck to you!

Noar

heh. i am glad !!

Well, i went today to get my second set of FP's... and i got an infopass for the 10th to 'remind' them that i am all cleared and that i am ready :D

Noar,
Are you sure the namecheck program is fully staffed now? I think I am one of the newly stuck people. It's been almost 6 months since I sent my application in. And regardless of the many promises for faster processing, my name is not clearing. I'm searching the news every day for any changes of this ridiculous situation. Unfortunately every good and promising idea gets stopped in senate, house, DHS, etc. :mad:
I would really be happy if I knew they hired more people and did something about the hundreds of thousands of files that have been sitting somewhere neglected.

Noar,
Are you sure the namecheck program is fully staffed now?
No, I can't be sure about that... I'm sorry that you haven't received anything since your FP on 08/18. It's like 5 months ago. Have you written anyone? Have you confirmed that it's a name check problem? Usually your representatives (governor or first lady) can do this inquiry for you. Maybe you already found out about that in an infopass?

noar

took me a year to go through the background check...and the IO told me 3 or 4 years is common too...2 days old information.

the waiting period for the background check seems random though....some wait 2 or 3 months..and other 2 or 3 years.

you would think with all the taxes I pay, they could hire more people..sigh

You are not the only one

Noar,
Are you sure the namecheck program is fully staffed now? I think I am one of the newly stuck people. It's been almost 6 months since I sent my application in. And regardless of the many promises for faster processing, my name is not clearing. I'm searching the news every day for any changes of this ridiculous situation. Unfortunately every good and promising idea gets stopped in senate, house, DHS, etc. :mad:
I would really be happy if I knew they hired more people and did something about the hundreds of thousands of files that have been sitting somewhere neglected.

I had my interviewon July 17, 2007, no LUD's since, I went twice for INFOPASS, I wa told I'm pending NC.

when they do the FBI name check does USCIS submit First name and last name or do they include the middlle name also?

Hi, thanks for the address for Laura Bush...lol..I should have known! But can I ask a question, well 2 actually-

#1. Those who wrote to Laura Bush- what exactly you ask her to do meaning do I say my name check has been pending for 3 years and I need her/her dept (whtever) to look into this ? Or just can you please help me with this since my name check has been pending for yada period?

#2. I just day before yesterday filled out the form for Ombudsman and sent it- those who did this- did you get a reply from them? Or how did they let you know that they are working on it , if they did?

Many thanks!

if you send me your email in a private message, I'd be glad to send you a copy of my letter. I had written it based on a template found on the web.

noar

I-485 Approved!

Hello everybody,

I finished my interview yesterday at the Charlotte office. Background: I moved from Boston to NC in August 2006 but my case was transferred from Boston to NC last November. After that I got a call for second round of FPs and then quickly followed by an interview call for I-485. This is the second time I had my interview. My first interview was in Boston in October 2005. I'm applying through my wife who's a USC, and so she had to accompany me for the interview. I'd been waiting for name check clearance + file transfer since October 2005!

Interview was straight forward. The officer asked for tax returns from 2006, birth certificates, APs, EADs (originals), driver's licenses, passports, I-94s and my wife's employment letter (since she's sponsoring me). Then the officer asked my wife some of my personal details such as my birthday, etc. I had my I-864 ready with me but the officer didn't ask me for it maybe because I had already submitted it with the application in Feb 2005.

Then the officer asked me, "Do you know why your case hasn't been approved yet?" I said, "I don't know. The last officer in Boston told me that it was because of some pending background checks."

"Yes. That is true...."

... and leaves the room with my stuff. I was confused but sat tight.

10 minutes later comes back and says...

"Well, I'll go ahead and approve your application today but you won't get your card until a few weeks" and proceeds to stamp I-551 on my passport.

I was very happy. I thanked the officer and left the office soon after. The entire interview process took about 45 minutes. I didn't see any reason why I should've asked about the delay in background checks, etc. I got the stamp on my passport... so it didn't matter to me anymore. I got an email shortly after reaching home that my card has been ordered.

I should thank noar for posting his experience here and for answering my questions privately. I should also thank everybody else on this forum for providing a wealth of information and for forming some kind of support network. I really appreciate it.

I hope everybody on this forum gets their background / name checks cleared soon and will be on their way to becoming USCs.

Thanks!
sr9x

Hello everybody,

I finished my interview yesterday at the Charlotte office. Background: I moved from Boston to NC in August 2006 but my case was transferred from Boston to NC last November. After that I got a call for second round of FPs and then quickly followed by an interview call for I-485. This is the second time I had my interview. My first interview was in Boston in October 2005. I'm applying through my wife who's a USC, and so she had to accompany me for the interview. I'd been waiting for name check clearance + file transfer since October 2005!

I hope everybody on this forum gets their background / name checks cleared soon and will be on their way to becoming USCs.

Thanks!
sr9x

Congratulations sr9x!!!! It's always wonderful to see individuals complete the process especially when waiting along time. Again, congrats!!!