FBI Name Check

New here

Hello everyone. I'm new here but not new to the process. I read lots of information from this forum and learned a lot so far. I plan to start the process to file WOM tomorrow and I'll see you guys around. My timeline is listed in the signature.
Good luck to all of us!

Good Immigration Lawyer in Manhattan?

Does anyone know a good immigration lawyer in Manhattan?

My interview was in Jan 2006 and I have been stuck at the FBI name check since.

I would like to file a WOM but need a good immigration lawyer in Manhattan.

Many many thanks!! Kathy

Wait times before sucessful WoM?

I'm sure this has been asked before but what are the sort of wait times people have had before filing successful WoM?

I am at 28 months and the attorney I am discussing it with in Houston is telling me that I am only now getting to the sort of wait time that a judge would agree is unreasonable and that they usually like to have three years. However I know some of you guys are considering it during the first year. Has anybody tabulated the wait times out before?

Thanks

EricNeesGC said:
Please move my name to the approved list. I am a LPR as of 12/1/2006. See my signature for other dates.

Congrats Eric. I did move you down to the approved list. Man u were in the top waiting for GS (pending namecheck) since 2004. So what did u do to get it now - meaning - just wait till u heard from them or actually sue them.

Wom?

What is WOM? Is the year counted from the date NC was initiated or the interview date? I am stuck in NC.

I-485, I-130 Reciept date: November 14th 2005.
Code 3 FP: February 2006
AOS date: April 13th, 2006.
I-765 RD: November 2nd 2006
Code 2 FP Date: December 12th 2006

Name Check PARTLY DONE, what does that mean?

went to the district office today, and was told my name check was partly done?? does it mean it will soon be completed?? long wait will be over??? any one had similar experience??

Thank you,
hbb

==========================
Filed 130/485 in 6/2004
130 was approved at the interview in 2/2006
485 is still pending 'cause FBI name check was not complete.

uscis does the following as part of the Immigration security check:
• The Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS) Name Check
• FBI Fingerprint Check
• FBI Name Checks

The first two are usually not an issue since they are done by USCIS themselves.
Problem is with the FBI name check.
It may mean that 1 and 2 is done and 3 is still pending.
You shud have got more details and ask them wat do they mean by partially complete?

tapskap said:
uscis does the following as part of the Immigration security check:
• The Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS) Name Check
• FBI Fingerprint Check
• FBI Name Checks

The first two are usually not an issue since they are done by USCIS themselves.
Problem is with the FBI name check.
It may mean that 1 and 2 is done and 3 is still pending.
You shud have got more details and ask them wat do they mean by partially complete?

Thank you, but in the past when I went to the local office, they always told me that it's not completed, but this time it's partially done, so I assume and hope there are some difference... and officer said it might be that FBI is in the process of sending paper work to CIS, but the officer was not very helpful when I ask more details...

Actual process from the FBI website -

http://www.fbi.gov/page2/nationalnamecheck.htm

OR

National Name Check Program—Frequently Asked Questions

How long will it take for my name check to be completed?

The length of time it takes for a name check to be completed varies from name to name. Normally, a name is submitted by an agency, such as the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), on a data tape. The National Name Check Program (NNCP) receives over 62,000 name checks every week, with over 27,000 coming from USCIS on a weekly basis. When a data tape comes in, the names on the tape are electronically checked against the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Universal Index (UNI). The searches seek all instances of the individual's name appearing in both main files and reference files. A main file name is that of an individual who is, himself/herself, the subject of an FBI investigation, whereas a reference is someone whose name appears in an FBI investigation. References may be associates, conspirators, or witnesses.

The majority of name checks submitted on a data tape are electronically checked and returned to the submitting agency as having "No Record" within 48-72 hours. A "No Record" indicates that the FBI's UNI database contains no identifiable information regarding a particular individual. Duplicate submissions (i.e., identically spelled names with identical dates of birth submitted within the last 120 days) are not checked, and the duplicate findings are returned immediately to the submitting agency.

A secondary manual name search conducted within 30-60 days usually identifies additional requests as having a "No Record." The remaining name checks (usually about 10% of the name checks originally submitted) are identified as possibly being the subject of an FBI record. At that point, the FBI record must be retrieved and reviewed. If the record is available in the FBI's electronic record keeping system, it can be reviewed quickly. If not, the relevant information must be retrieved from an existing paper record. Review of this information determines whether the information is positively identified with the name check request. If the information is not identified with the request, the request is closed as a "No Record," and the requesting agency is notified as such.

The average time required to retrieve and review an FBI record for possible information related to a name check request is case specific—it depends on the number of files an analyst must obtain (which is dictated by the number of "hits" on a name), the location and availability of those files, and the amount of information contained in a file. If a file is stored locally, an analyst will be able to obtain the file within a matter of days. If a file is located in a field office or other FBI location, the applicable information must be requested from that location. There are over 265 different FBI locations that could house information pertinent to a name check request. If a file is electronically available, an analyst will have immediate access to that file. Additionally, once an analyst receives the file, or the pertinent information contained in a file, the analyst must review it for possible information related to the name check request.

Many times, the delay associated with the processing of the remaining name checks is not the actual time it takes to process a name check, but the time it takes for an analyst to get to the name check request in order to process it. This is due to the constant volume of name checks, several million each year, combined with the FBI's current work on processing residual name checks from a batch of 2.7 million requests submitted by USCIS in December 2002, as compared to the NNCP's limited resources. Less than one percent of the requests are identified with a file containing possible derogatory information. If applicable, the FBI then forwards a summary of the derogatory information to the requesting agency. It is important to note that the FBI does not adjudicate the name check requests, but only provides available information to a requesting agency for its adjudication process.

How can I have my name check expedited?

The FBI tries to process its oldest name checks first. Customer agencies will occasionally request expedited handling of specific name checks. Criteria used to determine which name checks receive expedited handling are internal matters of each customer agency. The FBI does request that the number of expedited cases be kept to a minimum in fairness to the other pending name check requests. Because each customer agency determines which name checks are expedited, contacting Congressional representatives, the FBI's Office of Congressional Affairs, or the NNCP will only further tie up vital resources and will not contribute to the expediting of a name check.

Does contacting my Congressional representative expedite my name check?

No, the customer agency determines expedited handling. The FBI's policy is to be responsive to our customer's needs given the limits of our resources. Re-prioritization from multiple sources would convolute the customer agency's ability to manage their priority cases.

Is there a fee I can pay to expedite the process?

No. Processing times are a function of the volume of work versus the resources that can be applied to the task. Paying an additional fee would not speed up the name check process.

I am aware that some name checks have been completed that were submitted to the FBI after cases that remain pending. Why are the name checks not handled in the order in which they are received?

The vast majority of name check requests are completed in less than 60 days. Of those remaining, the FBI tries to complete the oldest name checks first. The time to complete any given name check varies. There are many factors that impact processing times such as the number of files to retrieve and review, a file's location and accessibility, case status, and workload all impact processing times. Another factor that might delay the processing of a name check request on a first in/first out basis is the number of requests for expedited handling received from a customer agency.

My Freedom of Information/Privacy Act request to the FBI resulted in a "no record" response. Given that, why is my name check request still pending?

Freedom of Information and Privacy Acts (FOIPA) requests are sometimes confused with name check requests. FOIPA provides copies of FBI files relevant to a specific FOIPA request. For FOIPA, the FBI search uses the name or information as provided in the FOIPA request. A FOIPA search determines whether there is an investigative file associated with an individual—a "main file" search. For a name check, "main files" and "reference files" are both checked, in an effort to protect our national security, in addition to searching a name in a multitude of combinations.

Who can I call to check on the status of my name check?

The FBI will only respond to status inquiries from its customer agencies. Please contact the organization receiving your original application. In Citizenship and Immigration cases, contact USCIS for the status.

is the end near ?

Hello all,
I applied for a marriage based I485 in January 2004, I received my initial interview in July of 2005 and then I got stick in the name check with no movement in my case UNTIL today.
I received a notice from the local office here in Indianapolis to appear with my wife for an interview again, is that good news ???!!! Does it. Mean my name check ordeal is over ??
Also, is it normal that the notice said the interview is going to be videotaped ? And lastly, how come the status online for my case still shows pending name check ?
Thank you in advance for any help,

Security check conundrum

Well, personally i've been waiting for my background check to compelete for more than a year. All the reading and researching i've been doing told me that it takes atleast 6months upto 4 yrs for it. I was surprised when i heard from two fo my friends that their green card was approved on their interview within 2 months in sacramento. i though applied in san francisco. We belong to same place and had same profile (our spouses are us citizens). So notion of background check from native country being delayed doesnt hold. Also one of my friend's interviewer had all the information pertaining to both him and his wife and told him that fbi does not want his information.

So i wanted to know, if there is a profiling system to pick on whom to perform thorough checks? Also my FOIPA request to fbi came back with no records. I just want to know y my case is being delayed while others are lucky enough to get their green cards within 2 months of filing it. Atleast i should had been notified where the bottleneck is. should i move to sacramento and transfer my file there?

Also can someone provide more details about filing WOM.

I applied I485 feb 2005, got interview in july 2005 and since have been waiting for name check. A friend of mine applied this october and got his passport stamped yesterday.

Pal001

Check out the following thread about WoM. It's in the citizenship board, but it covers 485 WoM too. It has almost 500 pages.
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=194681

As for the profiling thing, I remember reading something where the CIS Ombudsman said that most of those who are stuck in FBI name check have records for longer history in the U.S. and have SSN. Again, this is just a broad generalization. You can always find outliers. Plus, I can't recall where I read this either.

pal001 said:
Well, personally i've been waiting for my background check to compelete for more than a year. All the reading and researching i've been doing told me that it takes atleast 6months upto 4 yrs for it. I was surprised when i heard from two fo my friends that their green card was approved on their interview within 2 months in sacramento. i though applied in san francisco. ...................
Go to the first page of this thread and in the links section (pointing to other threads in this form - u can find all the info on WOM

As far as I can tell the length of time you wait for namecheck has absolutely no relation to where your file is as the namecheck is performed by the FBI at a national level. Taking your security information to the interview will have no effect either as CIS just subcontracts the namecheck to the FBI, they seem to have no role in how it is carried out.

An attorney I spoke to told me an interesting story the other week. She said she had had a client whose namecheck had been held up because the FBI had previously carried one out on him for another customer. They noted this in the file but the unfamiliar notation somehow screwed up the approval being routed back to CIS and then him. I am trying to find out now if this could affect me as I have previously had two background checks carried out on me as part of some government research I was doing. Conceivably these could have been carried out by the FBI which could be my problem now.

Is there anyone else who could possibly be related in this way? I'm interested to see if it's a common thread somehow.

Jim