FBI Name Check

Hi,

My case is also pending name check.
Married son of US citizen
Interview Date: 05/17/2007 not approved pending name check
DO: Baltimore.
I just wated to know what do you mean by IO and how we can get the e mail address of the same.

I do not remember the name of the officer and nor I was aware that we can make a request for our status to IO.

Last time when I took INFOPASS to get the status on my case I was told that my name check was forwarded to FBI in January so it is almost 5 months now.

Do I need to take any action now (writing letter to senator/congressman etc.) or should I wait for some more time?

thanks tapskap.

I am going to write the letter to First Lady. Hopefully I see some action or progress with NC.

I am an H-1B married to Citizen. I applied I-485, I-130 and I-176 in April 2005, after which I got interviewed in Newark, NJ on Jan 05 2006 and the case was approved pending NC.

Then we moved to CT and I applied for changed of address in May 2006. After several visits to local Hartford CT immigration office, we finally received a letter to come for an interview again the reason for appointment in the letter states “your petition for alien relative and /or your adjustment status application”.

What dose this letter mean? Is my NC cleared? Also could some one advice me on what will be the effective date on my GC now; will it have the Jan 05 2006 date (original interview date) or will it be the new date from June 2007?

Please advice.

Hi Guys,

You people may already know that for employment based adjustment of status all priority dates are current for all countries. I am sure a lot of people will apply for adjustment of status. Since it has to go through the name check process what do you think the impact will be on people like us who have been waiting for more than a year now with no hope. Will it make things more worse ..? Also since there is no FIFO, it may happen that people who apply after us through the employment categories they might get their GC's earlier than us... please post your views on this.

where to file AP renewal application?

Hi,

does anyone have experience renewing AP? I am stuck in name check since last October. My current AP is expiring soon. I am filing the AP online but I don't know where should I submit it. I filed my I-485, I 131 concurrently last year to the Chicago Lockbox. we interviewed with the San Francisco office last Oct, and since then, the case was stuck in name check. Should I renew my AP with the san Francisco office or should I mail it to the Chicago address? thank you.

Does anybody know if we want to write to FBI about background check or name check to whom should we write the letter?
apprecite your help

hey tapskap,

After writing letters to senator, etc, When did you hear about your namecheck being approved?

Did you write to local FBI office? or did you write to FBI Ombudsman as someone suggested earlier in one of the posts?

Hey Vahid2

I am also stuck in Namecheck and in the same boat. I have written to Senators / Congressmen, but no luck.

Somebody has mentioned writing to FBI Ombudsman / local FBI Office. I tried to find more abt the same, but with no luck.

Does anyone how we can write to local FBI or FBI Office of Ombudsman?

Let me know if you find out anything about writing to FBI.

Last edited by a moderator:
ncgc2006...

The office of Laura Bush will reply in like 3 months...
Senator's office are more quicker...
However,Laura Bush's office forwards ur letter to DOJ and FBI and that compels them to respond to u with the date they received ur request and whether it is processing / complete...
I heard from the senator in the month of febraury I believe....it just said that its pening...
I recd an email from the IO on June 6...

Well I read in other messages that some people wrote letter after March they have not got any response from Fl office however I hope they continue their good job as I am also waiting for them to do something for me.

ncgc2006 I still have not find anything at all. I think local offices are not a good option and I think one should either not to write or write directly to main chief.

finally approved!

hi everybody.
i am so happy. my background check got cleared and i got "the welcome letter" in the mail on friday the 15th of june 2007.i am so glad, it is over and i should have my permanent resident card in the mail soon, hopefully.
here is my story in just a few words.i went for the interview in november 2006, got approved but background check was not finished, so i could not get my green card yet. after the interview i was waiting and waiting and nothing.went for the infopass in february 2007 and was told the background check was still pending.didn't want to waste anymore time and wait for a miracle, so in april 2007 i sent about 11 complain letters to like USCIS, FBI, ombudsman, first lady, senator and others.by the first week of june 2007 i got 6 reply letters back. 1 letter said, there was nothing they could do for me, 5 letters {including 2 letters from USCIS} said, the computer system showed the background check was still pending and could take months or even years to clear.the second week of june 2007 i got a 7th reply letter back, this time from FBI, suprisingly saying my background check was already finalized and sent to USCIS the 11th of january 2007.i was so mad and confused.the immigration and other officials had been telling me that still now in june, about 7 months after the interview, my application was still pending because of a pending name check, while the FBI say, the name check was already done in january.so on monday, 11th of june 2007, i sent a complain letter with the letter from FBI, showing the name check have been finished 6 months ago, to the immigration and 5 days later, the 15th of june 2007 i got my "welcome letter" saying i should be getting my green card within 60 days from receiving this letter.also today, the 18th of june i got another letter from immigration with a short apology for such a delay...and all that.
so for 7 months i was depressed that i was stuck in the name check like everybody else, well, that is what everybody was telling me.when in fact i was not stuck in any name checks at all.my name check was finished 6 months ago and nobody, not even the immigration knew about it.my papers must have gotten misplaced or lost or something.
so the letter from FBI helped me, because if i did not get it and did not send it to immigration, nobody would even notice that my name check was not pending anymore and i would probably wait for years till somebody would finally take a notice.
i am so glad i sent all those letters.after all, it helped me in getting my green card.:)
i wish you all well and i hope and believe you are gonna get your green cards soon too.

Just found out about this forum and thread. I have been waiting for more than 2 years and after reading almost all of the post, decided that I need to do something else rather than just wait.

Local office is D.C. both I-130 and I-485 still in pending. I just find out that the I-130 did not depend on FBI name check but it still sit in pending. I-485 still pending FBI name check. I am Chinese indonesian and buddhist religion but the name check sure takes long???

Anybody here has familiar situation? cause my I-130 was not even approved yet after more than 2 years???

Thank you and congrats to all that finally get their GC.

Happyagain Congrat.

could you please share with us to whom and which address you send letter (I mean the FBI one).
Thanks

I had applied to FBI (FOIPA) regarding the status of my Name/Security Check.

Witin a week of receipt of the application i received a reply from the FBI as under:

This is in response to your Freedom of Information-Privacy Acts (FOIPA) request noted above.

To promptly respond to requests, we concentrate on identifying the main files in the central records system at FBI Headquarters. No records responsive to your FOIPA request were located by a search of the automated indices.

You may file an administrative appeal by writing to the Director, Office of Information and Privacy, United States Department of Justice, 1425 New York Ave, NW, Suite 11050, Washington, D.C 20530-0001 within sixty days from the date of this letter. The envelope and the letter should be clearly marked “Freedom of Information Appeal” or “Information Appeal”. Please cite the FOIPA number assigned to your request so that it may be easily identified.

Enclosed for your information is a copy of the FBI file fact sheet.

Gurus, please let me know why the reply i received gave info regarding administrative appeal ? If i appeal would i get more info rather then the usual "No records found" ? I would certainly like to find out since when the Name/Security Check is pending.The reply received did not give that info.

Regards.

the second week of june 2007 i got a 7th reply letter back, this time from FBI, suprisingly saying my background check was already finalized and sent to USCIS the 11th of january 2007.i was so mad and confused.the immigration and other officials had been telling me that still now in june, about 7 months after the interview, my application was still pending because of a pending name check, while the FBI say, the name check was already done in january.so on monday, 11th of june 2007, i sent a complain letter with the letter from FBI, showing the name check have been finished 6 months ago, to the immigration and 5 days later, the 15th of june 2007 i got my "welcome letter"

Congrats on your green card! Could you share us some info with those questions:
1. Is the FBI letter replying your first lady letter or something else?
2. After you got the FBI letter saying your case finalized, where did you send the complain letter to USCIS, your local immigration office or NSC?

Thank you in advance!