FBI Name Check

mish4gc

Registered Users (C)
I called the emergency # today to enquire about my 485 status (14-/485 RD 3/22/04, EB3 concurrent, 140 has a RFE on 1/21/04, dont know what it is).

The agent told me that even though my finger printing is good (done 04/04), the FBI name check is still pending. I thought for most people the name check is cleared in 2-6 days, is that true? Am I one of those unfortunate ones.

Also the CSC agent told me that it is not possible to initiate an enquiry with FBI to query the status of the name check prodess. I thought this was do-able, isn't it? Does anyone know how?

Its been a long tiring process and the last thing I want is further delay for a name check! How frustrating.

try to send this to your senator and congressman:

Dear Honorable Senator ######:

I would like to bring your attention to the national security risk resulting from the current implementation of the FBI name check program. The importance of the security name check is obvious to everybody. Members of terrorist groups, criminals, and others who may pose a threat to the people of the United States should not be allowed to cross the border. Sometimes, the FBI security name check may take a long time and some travelers have to change their plans. I think people should not complain about this. Security is more important.
It is completely different situation with the name check of the people who are currently in the United States. Every extra day spent by FBI on the name check gives time to the potential terrorists to achieve their goals. Thousands of name checks for foreigners legally staying in the USA are pending with FBI since 2002 and 2003. It certainly indicates that these cases are not on the FBI priority list. A simple logic suggests that before checking people who are still abroad FBI should check those who are already inside the country. Many of them came to the USA before 2001 and were not seriously checked at that time.

Not to discourage you Mish4gc. I tried everything possible to accelerate the FBI name check process. Fruitless. But no harm trying, you could be the lucky one.

Different ?

delayscks said:
Not to discourage you Mish4gc. I tried everything possible to accelerate the FBI name check process. Fruitless. But no harm trying, you could be the lucky one.

I somewhat don't understand this name check process cause when there was Pilot program where did this process go ? How did they improve the efficiency and approved hell lot of applications and at the time getting the name checks done in a span of 3-6 months. Well sometimes luck is the only virtue to get things moving in the right direction ?? :rolleyes:

-Sonpapdi

Is there a FBI phone# we can call to get status on name check?

The USCIS told me my case is pending for name check, but I want to know how long my case has been pending.

In addition, I remember somebody mentioned that we can actually request for criminal record for ourself from FBI. Is this somehow related to the Name Check thing?

bsus.

I had similar problems w/ the name check. It does not work the way u think it is. When you are fingerprinted the FBI clears your prints in 24 hours. Then it all depends on the report which is sent to the INS (BCIS....whatever). They are three positions on this report which submitted from three different sources. FBI is one of them. If you have a matching FINGERPRINT set in the FBI database, that is when your report will come to INS marked "RECORD". If it is a name "hit", meaning that your NAME has matched against a name in the database. This name check (literally "name") is submitted to the INS by the FBI as well but utilizes different database. Therefore, remember when you inquire with the FBI about fingerprints and regarding you Name Check these are two separate processes.
To make the matter worse, once the INS has your report it still (report) does not state what exactly triggered it. In other words it only has a word "record" -regarding positive fingerprints or "ident" - regarding positive name check on it. INS then submits an inquiry to the FBI analyst to provide with the detailed explanation for this positive record. And this exact step takes as long as 6 months to be resolved. In my case it was 2.5 months. Those reports are coming by a regular mail to the the INS facility and then manually read and disposed. An INS Immigration Officer is able to send an expedited request for that kind of report to the FBI, but in real life FBI analysts do not reply that fast. Unfortunately, isn't it?

Got reply from FBI on name check status.

I sent an email inquiry on my name check status to FBI several month ago. No reply. I kind of forget about it and move on with life. Recently I receive an email from FBI telling me that my name check is completed and result was forwarded to USCIS.

Question: how can I know the result of the name check? I am pretty sure it should be sparkling clean.

My ND was Nov. 2001. Yes, 2001.

I have a very common name, that must triger the name check. My parent was very regretful giving me this name, but it was popular then.

Does the name check process start after FP or the moment you file I-485?

My I-485 RD is Aug'2004 and haven't received FP notice yet. Do I need to worry about name check now? Please advise.

I also want to know whether FP is related to Name Check in any way?

My FP was done in June 2004, but Name Check request was sent to FBI in April 2004 (right after my I-485 was received by USCIS).

So it seems to me that FP is completely separated from Name Check.

Can anyone elaborate the whole FP, Name Check process and their potential complication?

Thanks

Got a reply to my email enquiry to my Name check today
Enquiry was made on - October 26, 2004
Reply on 2nd Feb 2005
-------------------------------------------------
Dear xxxxxxx:

I am responding to your email dated October 26, 2004, concerning your name check
status.

The FBI completed a name check for you on January 9, 2003, and the results were
forwarded to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Washington, DC.

Sincerely yours,

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chief, National Name Check
Program Section
Records Management Division

Kulfi or any else

Could you share details on to what address did you send email to check on the
finger print status.

Thanks in advance
reval_wait

Does anyone know whether it is ok to travel while the name check is pending.Im planning to travel to india and my case is pending name check.
Has anyone travelled while name check is pending.Can you share ur experiences.

TensedAlways said:
Does anyone know whether it is ok to travel while the name check is pending.Im planning to travel to india and my case is pending name check.
Has anyone travelled while name check is pending.Can you share ur experiences.

As long as you have a valid Advance Parole document or a valid H1B visa, you are OK to travel. The whole idea of having advance parole is so that an applicant can travel while I-485 is still pending.

I think FBI has started working on name checks. I also got a similar reply (as that of Kulfi's) for the inquiry. If email doesn't work, send the request by mail to the FBI address:

Records/Information Dissemination Section
Federal Bureau of Investigation
935 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W
Washington, D.C. 20535

And, I think it works even faster if you are old timer.

It was exactly 2-weeks from the day I sent. I suggest writing a very polite letter (no complaining or moaning) and just request for expedite processing. I sent it early January. I am also told that even if FBI check is complete, you could still be waiting for a long time. But atleast, you can work on something than just sitting and waiting (when you know you are stuck somewhere). There is nothing to loose. At most you request goes into trash bin, but atleast you tried.

delayscks said:
I think FBI has started working on name checks. I also got a similar reply (as that of Kulfi's) for the inquiry. If email doesn't work, send the request by mail to the FBI address:

Records/Information Dissemination Section
Federal Bureau of Investigation
935 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W
Washington, D.C. 20535

And, I think it works even faster if you are old timer.

Hi,

When did you send your enquiry? I sent mine in third week of Dec'04 with no avail !!