FBI Name Check

zzbao

Registered Users (C)
I obtained the knowledge earlier from the US Senate from my State that my GC case was still stuck at FBI name check ever since Dec 28, 2002. I then called FBI and they kindly told me that the case was still in their hand.

Then on Jan 7th, I received my second FP notice from NSC and it was scheduled on Jan 27th. I did the finger print as scheduled.

I wonder if the recent finger print means my case finally got back to USCIS from FBI Name Check, or they are irrelavent.

One more strange thing, on the case status page, it still shows:
"...
Application Type: I485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

Current Status:

On December 27, 2002, we received your response to our request for evidence or information. It is taking between 570 and 600 days for us to process this kind of case. However because preliminary processing was complete, the remaining processing time will be less than the maximum stated in this message. You will receive a written decision on this case.
..."

It didn't mentioned anything regarding the recent finger print. Is that normal?

RD: 08/22/01,
1st FP: 12/04/01
RFE: 12/15/02
2nd FP: 1/27/04

Still waiting..............................................................

Can you provice FBI tele#? I need to call to see FP status.
ND 01/12/2001
1FP 02/2002
2FP 12/2003
RFE 5/2003
Still waiting

It seems to me unrelated. The senator's office helped me send an inquiry to their liaison at NSC and he found three things:1. My 1st FP expired long time ago; 2. stuck at FBI name check; 3. official date is still september(mine is nov). So he helped to arrange the 2nd FP but the other two are still there. To me, the FBI check is out of service center's control. You might get some help from your senator/congressman, but who knows?

Just my two cents and best wishes,

--Shamu

FBI telephone #

Could you please post the FBI telephone number, I got stuck for FBI Name Check. I am waiting for last one month.

My understanding is FBI name check is another background check different from fingerprint check. Actually both of my fingerprints results were sent back to NSC the same day they received it, I guess that is just for a crime record at US scan which could be done quite fast. However, the name check is more complex, I don't know exactly what they would investigate though. For example if you have a very common name in your country that might trigger some difficulty, but to be honest with you, I don't know why for some people this could be done fairly fast and still a lot of people could be stuck there for a very very long time. And NSC can simply say that "we cann't do anything before we get the clearance". I myself is one of the painful victims.

--Shamu

On the same board

What I've heard is that the mandatory Name Check starts at the end of Year 2002, (thanks to Mr. Ashcraft). I think my case is among these 3.5 million initially sent to FBI for name check.

What I've heard earlier is that FBI is not processing these cases on a FIFO manner, instead, that's why some people from later batches were getting cleared before the initial batch was cleaned.

To contact FBI regarding Name Check, simply call the FBI headquarter number located in their webpage. Ask the operator with reference to Name Check Dept.

ZZBAO

Guys I call FBI number, but no luck

I called FBI number 304-625-200 and also 304-625-3878, but nobody knows where the Name check dept. Lady from FBI said, I have to call to BCIS and find out the telephone number for Name Check dept. Seems like they don't know.

Any help from you guys and do you have telephone number that I can get help for Name Check Dept...

Any number starts with 304 is not for Name Check. People just use it to track the finger print, which is of the Criminal Justice purpose.

If they ask whether it's for Immigration purpose, simply say regular Name Check and you will be transferred to the real Name Check dept.

ZZBAO

can you provide me the phone number which you know

Can you please post the phone number, which you know. Because I am not able to find the right number..

I always try with the FBI headquarter line and have them transfer me there

They simply do the transfer but never gave me the direct dial number.

But if they ask you to dial any 304 area code number, simply tell them it's for finger print purpose and people there don't know name check at all, then the operator will find the right name check dept extension to transfer. I guess some of the operators are new and know little in regarding the difference between name check and finger print

ZZBAO

Update

Just got call from Name Check dept that My Name Check was cleared on Jan 16th, 2004.

zzbao,

what info does FBI ask when u call, lin #?

Last edited by a moderator:
FBI Phone Number Please

Hi Zzbao,

Would you please post the number you called ? I could not locate FBI's phone # on their web site. You have made multiple posts in this thread but despite many people asking for the specific number, you never mentioned it in any of your posts. Although you did mention not to call numbers with a particular area code. Would you please or is it a matter of national security and can not be divulged. I am just kidding......

Hi,
I am wondering when your senator gave the information about your FBI name check. Before Jan 14 or after? Your first message was posted today. If your senator's information came after Jan 14, then it may not be the same thing. Anyway, good luck to your GC.

I called FBI

last tuesday and found very helpful, All you need to do is, say that you had finger printing done for immigration purpose and want to know the status of it. They will ask for your A#.
She told me that our finger printing was done on 12/06/2003 and same day results were sent to BCIS

Here is the info for FBI check

FBI can be reached either at 304-625-5590 or at 304-625-2406. They are located in West Virginia and it is the same number for whole of US. If the representative comes to the phone, he/can tell you about your case immediately or no one picks the phone, you may leave the message giving your spelled out name, contact phone number and Alien Number, (also called 'A' number. This is number is in the I-485 receipt notice and also in the Finger Print notice). They are usually prompt in returning phone calls.

waiting_4_485