FBI Delays To End

I would not believe anything until it is implimented. The huge backlog in the system needs to be cleared before USCIS will increase its backlog by brining an additional half a million name check delayed cases on to its "backlog". I would take this with a pinch of salt based on the current backlog situation.

You should say " I hope it is true .... and starts tomorrow not 5 years from now"

Ok - I looked at one of the most reliable Immigration Attorneys out there - Carl Shusterman's web site, and he has it listed there as well. In fact it is breaking news for him and he mentions that certain lawyers were sworn to secrecy until the news broke out - thus allowing them to talk about it. So, I think this is a credible story - but we aren't sure when this will be implemented. It might be USCIS's way of dealing with reducing the massive backlogs.

Go to www.shusterman.com for more details.

any other source?

I dont know about any other source but this was sent to me by my lawyer and she is an AILA member. Today she sent me another email and I am copying it here for everyone. I have asked her to send me copy/transcript of AILA InfoNet Doc. No. 07113061. If I ever get this I'll put that on here as well.

"Similar information was released through our immigration bar association this morning as well:

Secretary Chertoff Advises of Changes in FBI Name Check Clearance Process
Cite as "AILA InfoNet Doc. No. 07113061 (posted Nov. 30, 2007)"

In a meeting with AILA and other organizations, DHS Secretary Chertoff indicated that USCIS and the FBI are changing parts of the name check process, with the expected result that a large proportion of the backlog should be cleared within six months. The changes are consistent with Secretary Chertoff's risk management approach. The Secretary hopes that, in addition to clearing the backlog, a large percentage of the kinds of applications and situations that have previously been caught in name check delays will, in the future, be cleared quickly. However, he cautions that some checks still will be delayed by investigations, but that that number should represent a small proportion of the numbers previously delayed."

It may be the light at the end of tunnel for many of the victims of name checks. Its hard to believe but lets see what it brings.
http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/#comment

The above said News is 100% true. Finally US govt. has realized and acknowledged that they are spending more of their time/efforts/resources/energy in responding to lawsuits which have been filed across this nation against involved Federal Agencies. Not to mention even Courts have ordering them to expedite Name Check, and suggested that they could use their authority to adjudicate immigration applications if Name Check is not cleared soon. As a matter of fact, many courts have done so lately. Also, govt. got aware of applicants to have contacting their Congresspersons, media, First Lady, Vice President and etc. Thus, all these have made them to come to this solution.

So, did you see what happens when people raise their voice as a commulative effort? That's why I've been saying all along that people should do anything to raise their voice.

The Name Check nightmare is about to come to end soon.

As of May 2007, USCIS reported a staggering 329,160 FBI name check cases pending, with approximately 64 percent (211,341) of those cases pending more than 90 days and approximately 32 percent (106,738) pending more than one year.40 While the percentages of long-pending cases compared to last year are similar, the absolute numbers have increased. There are now 93,358 more cases pending the name check than last year. Perhaps most disturbing, there are 31,144 FBI name check cases pending more than 33 months as compared to 21,570 last year – over a 44 percent increase in the number of cases pending more than 33 months.

Wow, simply a mind blowing amount of pending name checks that would have only gotten much worse in the coming months due to summer backlog.

^Sorry you had to be one of the victims of the name check, an astounding number of people are with you. Well I hope this delay is about to end and I hope they start to implement it now, although I still think it will take a while. It is one thing to have ideas and goals but to implement them is another concept. I do believe they have been under serious pressure and the lawsuits are a total waste of government resources. They need to work on so many areas, they put people in removal proceedings left and right as well, just to have people fight in the courts and eventually are able to re-apply. This also takes years and a lot of government resources.

Hope this is an end to the misery of all the folks stuck in name check. It is amazing how everybody talks about providing pretty much all the benefits to illegal immigrants but no body acknowledges problems faced by legal immigrants.

On a different note, my cousin whose name check was stuck for 2+ years got his 485 approved last week. He suffered silently and did not approach anyone for his name check fiasco. Hope our miseries end soon.

Wow, i am shocked. I saw this thread but didn't pay much attention to it. I have seen too many promises in the past but now that i have read it, i am shocked. That is great news. I will be happy for all those out there that have been waiting for years. Finally, i guess all those lawsuits and articles did help. :)

November 28, 2007

Senator Clinton Calls for Quicker Action on Citizenship Applications

Washington, DC – Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton today called on the Secretary of Homeland Security to address significant delays in the processing of citizenship applications by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In a letter to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, Senator Clinton urged quick action to clear up the growing backlog of applications and criticized the excessive fee increases being imposed on applicants. She also asked for a timeline indicating when these problems will be resolved.

“These are applicants who have played by the rules and waited patiently for their chance to share in the American Dream. They deserve prompt and fair action on their applications,” Senator Clinton said.

In the past, citizenship applications have taken typically about seven months to process. Immigration officials are now taking upwards of five months to simply acknowledge receipt of an application and can take 16 to 18 months on average to process applications filed after June 1, 2007.

A copy of Senator Clinton’s letter follows:

November 28, 2007

The Honorable Michael Chertoff
Secretary
United States Department of Homeland Security
Washington, D.C. 20528

Dear Mr. Secretary:

I have been following with deep concern the news about the significant delays in the processing of citizenship applications by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”). As has been reported, a citizenship application has taken typically about seven months to process. However, foreseeable and preventable processing delays have meant that immigration officials are now taking upwards of five months to simply acknowledge receipt of an application and can take 16 to 18 months on average to process applications filed after June 1, 2007. These delays are unacceptable. When considered in concert with the recent and significant escalation of citizenship application fees, this failure demonstrates a complete breakdown at USCIS. I urge you to devote all the necessary resources at your disposal to the prompt and efficient processing of these applications and I ask you to again reconsider the burdensome fee increases being imposed on applicants.

The majority of these applicants have navigated the citizenship application process for years, with many having waited a lifetime to become citizens of this, their adopted country. They have played by the rules in their pursuit of the American Dream. Their commitment to becoming U.S. citizens reaffirms the strength of our democracy and reinforces our heritage as a nation of immigrants. We should be promoting citizenship and removing needless obstacles that prevent those who are qualified and eager to become American citizens from reaching their goal.

These prospective citizens should not be prejudiced because the Department of Homeland Security failed to plan appropriately. Their applications must be processed without either undue delay or the imposition of excessive or prohibitive fees. For that reason, I eagerly await word of what steps DHS and USCIS intend to take to fix this situation and I ask that you provide me with a timeline indicating when these problems will be resolved.

Sincerely yours,

Hillary Rodham Clinton

Associated Press - November 29, 2007 6:35 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) - New York Senator Chuck Schumer says immigration officials should rehire retirees to help clear a backlog of applications.

Democrat Schumer today said that backlog could keep some people from becoming citizens in time to vote in the November 2008 elections.

He says those who followed the law and waited their turn should not have to sit in bureaucratic limbo because the government wasn't prepared for a spike in applications before fees increased.

Schumer plans to introduce legislation making it easier for the agency to rehire retirees.

Citizenship and Immigration Services last week said people wanting to become U.S. citizens will have to wait 15 months to 18 months, rather than the national average seven months, to naturalize.

On the Net: Sen. Chuck Schumer: http://schumer.senate.gov/

Good stuff. I know a lot of close friends which suffering from this process for different applications, and I am hoping that they are really going to do something about this issue this time.

THank you for the updates

might not happen soon....

http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/news/2007,1204-FBI.shtm

November 30, 2007

Immigration Daily's 1/30/07 comment, "FBI Delays to End," is not telling the entire story. USCIS and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are working together to process name checks as quickly as possible without compromising security or public safety. To this end, we have examined the existing name check system and acted to address the problem through two strategies:

First, USCIS and the FBI conducted a joint risk assessment which resulted in process improvements that permit us to focus on cases of concern.

Second, USCIS and FBI have allocated additional resources to the process. Over the next year, USCIS is planning to commit a total of $15.5 million to address the backlog of FBI name checks.

Please note, however, USCIS continues to require FBI name checks for the same categories of applications and no case will be approved without a cleared name check. We will continue to work with the FBI to reduce waiting times; but, not at the expense of national security and public safety.

Best regards,

Bill Wright, spokesman
USCIS Office of Communications
(202) 272-1299

public safety?
That *dangerous* person whose name has been awaiting clearance for 3 years had more than enough time to do whatever he wanted to do..
I can understand it for Green Card a bit but for Naturalization? We already went through the process. It should be different process due to the fact that naturalization applicants are already in the US legally and will mainatain their status anyways during the delay. SO if they are dangerous, they are having enough time to do bad things..
Pleaaseeeeee...makese no sense..

public safety?
That *dangerous* person whose name has been awaiting clearance for 3 years had more than enough time to do whatever he wanted to do..
I can understand it for Green Card a bit but for Naturalization? We already went through the process. It should be different process due to the fact that naturalization applicants are already in the US legally and will mainatain their status anyways during the delay. SO if they are dangerous, they are having enough time to do bad things..
Pleaaseeeeee...makese no sense..

Amen to that! This reminds me of that time when Mohammed Atta and Ayman al-Zawahiri (2 of the 9/11) hijackers were sent visa renewal forms 6 months after 9/11.

http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/news/2007,1204-FBI.shtm

November 30, 2007

Immigration Daily's 1/30/07 comment, "FBI Delays to End," is not telling the entire story. USCIS and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are working together to process name checks as quickly as possible without compromising security or public safety. To this end, we have examined the existing name check system and acted to address the problem through two strategies:

First, USCIS and the FBI conducted a joint risk assessment which resulted in process improvements that permit us to focus on cases of concern.

Second, USCIS and FBI have allocated additional resources to the process. Over the next year, USCIS is planning to commit a total of $15.5 million to address the backlog of FBI name checks.

Please note, however, USCIS continues to require FBI name checks for the same categories of applications and no case will be approved without a cleared name check. We will continue to work with the FBI to reduce waiting times; but, not at the expense of national security and public safety.

Best regards,

Bill Wright, spokesman
USCIS Office of Communications
(202) 272-1299

I think previous statement by Chertoff is no more than PR. From USCIS statement I understood that they’ll separate checks that may cause threat to process them ASAP but all others will wait forever since no date of backlog elimination was provided only meaningless $$$ amounts. They’ll claim that all remaining are only subject of “good moral characters” so no danger to US and they can live with backlog forever.. I now believe that the law suit is the only remaining way out for me. Do you remember "backlog elimination plan" from 2006? You still can find it on USCIS.gov. They posted status update every 3 month. But last "Bingo!" release of update excluded all NC cases from backlog. As for optimistic "continue to work with FBI" could be verified in every InfoPass when IO will reply that FBI is different agency and USCIS doesn't have any influence. You'll hear over and over again same story about one guy he met who waited for 5 years and still waits. :eek: