family based immigration questions

Muks

Registered Users (C)
Folks,
I had a couple of questions regarding applying for family based GCs.

1. Is it necessary to apply for my wife's GC via a lawyer? She is on an F-1, and if I can save the $$$, better for me! I saw the FAQ on how to prepare the package, but I am not sure if its easy to fill out the forms and follow through with the entire process. Is it easy like the citizenship N-400 was? Any experiences? BTW, I am a US citizen.

2. I saw the family based immigration page on the USCIS website, and saw sometime called limited family immigration. I want to see if I can get my nephews immigration started. Is that even possible? Some websites say immediate family, but the page I saw said brothers and sisters their spouses and kids.

Thanks!

I can try doing it, but I dont want the processing to get stuck 5 months down the line because I messed something up:) I will continue reading these forums for the next couple of weeks, but it seemed like a question about experiences will help everyone who is trying to do the same thing.

For e.g., I filed my N-400 myself. But that was after looking at other people's experiences on what they did and what the risks were. I read the forums, asked questions. Thats why I was asking about other people's experiences on this. It just helps me get a better view of what other people have done, whether it worked or not, what were the typical problems etc, and it makes it a lot more easier to make a decision.

There was a poll recently here on who used a lawyer, as I remember about 40% used a lawyer and 60% didn't. In my opinion, if you get a lawyer you still need to stay on top of your case.

Your nephews could be considered derivatives of a petition for your brother or sister. The key is that it will take a long time for your sibling's priority date to come current (around 12-22 years) and your nephews would still have to be under 21 to qualify as derivatives at that time. If they age out you'd have to look at CSPA to see if they can maintain the original priority date. Of course, it will also require your sibling to become a permanent resident.