Family based I-130/I-485

interview got canceled and has to be reschedule

smart_guy007 said:
folks, I am starting a new thread for people, who have filed I-130/I-485 with MSC/NBC , because they are married to USC. Please post your application/time line/interview experience. Please share for benefit of others who are in same boat.

Thanks

does anyone have their I485 interview canceled by INS and the case status said they will inform you if your interview is reschedule? Please share your experience.

Thanks for Tons!!

F1 then marriage to USC
I130 and I485 in MSC
RD: Oct 2003

what's wrong with NBC

NBC2003 said:
My timeline is as follows:
MArried to a U.S citizen
Applied to Houston INS and was transferred to NBC I-130/I-485/I-864/EAD/AP
all together.

Receipt Date: Nov 7th 2003
FP: January 15th 2004
EAD: MArch 15th 2004
( No interview card came in the mail)
Advance parole: March 15th 2004.

Nothing since then.

Thank you for starting this thread on NBC

This is so unfair to us, our spouse is US citizen, we should get our green card quick. Why people file I485 through marriage in NBC take so long? What's wrong with NBC?

NBC_June04 said:
Hey don't get confused with I-130 approval AT ALL. It concerns only green card holders petitioning for spouse. They must FIRST wait for I-130 approval and based on that they file I-485.US citizen- ALien spouse case has nothing to do with this procedure, because you DON't wait for any I-130 approval.
Both I-130 and I-485 are adjudicated together at the time of the interview. Priority dates for US citizen's spouse are always CURRENT.
Like My receipt date is June, 7th. 2004 and that's my priority date (that's also written on the interview letter). We never got my husband's I-130 approval. We got the interview letter. After EAD and AP approval you wait for the interview letter. That's the final step - when a green card/stamp will be either granted or not (unless the FBI name check is still pending or there's something wrong or missing in you docs and they request the missing papers or fees).
DON"T get confused, because US citiszen-Alien spouse is straight and not like LPR-Alien spouse. You dont wait for anything but the interview letter, after everything's received
Just be patient and wait for it now. It took me 10 months all together.
Docs received by INS - June,2004
Interview scheduled - April, 2005

Good luck.You've done it ALLright

I filed I485 and I130 in NBC through a USC spouse. RD is oct 2003, still hasn't heard from anyone. What should I do? Please help. May God bless you all.

AP not mandatory correct??

Seems like everyone who has filed an I-130 and I-485 have also applied for AP. Is applying for AP mandatory?? I didn't. I submitted my 130 and 485 back in Sep 2003 in Washington DC. Since then I have moved and my case is still at NBC. I have no idea whats going on. I have gotten my EAD renewed once. Here are the statuses on my 130 and 485:

Your I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN was received at this office on July 12, 2004. It is taking between 30 and 90 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete.

and...

On July 30, 2004, the results of your fingerprint review for your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status were received, and processing has resumed on your case. We will mail you a notice if further action is needed, or when a decision is made.

I'm trying to figure out whats taking so long, and hopefully its not because I haven't applied for AP.

case in NBC

teej said:
Seems like everyone who has filed an I-130 and I-485 have also applied for AP. Is applying for AP mandatory?? I didn't. I submitted my 130 and 485 back in Sep 2003 in Washington DC. Since then I have moved and my case is still at NBC. I have no idea whats going on. I have gotten my EAD renewed once. Here are the statuses on my 130 and 485:

Your I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN was received at this office on July 12, 2004. It is taking between 30 and 90 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete.

and...

On July 30, 2004, the results of your fingerprint review for your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status were received, and processing has resumed on your case. We will mail you a notice if further action is needed, or when a decision is made.

I'm trying to figure out whats taking so long, and hopefully its not because I haven't applied for AP.

AP is not mandatory, you need it only if you want to travel outside the US. Anyway, did you apply 485 and 130 through marrying US citizen? I turned in my application in oct 2003 and the case is still in NBC. Haven't heard from them yet. I have the same message as you do.

cswenson002 said:
AP is not mandatory, you need it only if you want to travel outside the US. Anyway, did you apply 485 and 130 through marrying US citizen? I turned in my application in oct 2003 and the case is still in NBC. Haven't heard from them yet. I have the same message as you do.

Hi cswenson002,

Yes I did apply 485 and 130 through marrying a US citizen. Looks like we're in the same boat. I sent them an inquiry letter about 2 months ago, and haven't gotten a response. The last time I called them they said my wife, who is the US citizen and the petitioner should call, and they may be able to give her more info. She may actually place that call today so lets see. I will post any updates I get. This is getting very frustrating....

teej said:
Hi cswenson002,

Yes I did apply 485 and 130 through marrying a US citizen. Looks like we're in the same boat. I sent them an inquiry letter about 2 months ago, and haven't gotten a response. The last time I called them they said my wife, who is the US citizen and the petitioner should call, and they may be able to give her more info. She may actually place that call today so lets see. I will post any updates I get. This is getting very frustrating....

teej - guess what i am going to do. I want to contact a congressman and have them help check on my case status. I read other cases in the website. Sounds like they are helpful. If I heard from the congressman, I would let you know.

cswenson002 said:
teej - guess what i am going to do. I want to contact a congressman and have them help check on my case status. I read other cases in the website. Sounds like they are helpful. If I heard from the congressman, I would let you know.

Update (not much): Had my wife call them. They just took all her contact info and said that someone will call her back in the next 30 days! My wife couldn't control herself and essentially lashed out at the rep! She had called once before and after waiting for 30 mins, only got disconnected by the first rep she called. The next time she called she waited again for 30 mins, only to be told that "give us your contact info, and maybe someone will call you back in the next 30 days, with maybe some new info."

I'm also now trying to go through Senator Boxer's office...

2nd finger print

teej,

I received a notice from my local office and asked me to get my finger print done again. My friend who works for an immigration lawyer said that the local office will ask you to do the finger print again when they are about ready to interview you. I am not sure if that is true or not. But I am going to get the finger print done tomorrow. If I hear anything, I will let you know.

Regards,
cswenson

FP result info

ron1234 said:
130 and 485 recieved at NBC on 5/28/04, prints appointment for 6/8/04, results of prints recieved by NBC on 6/14/04

Hey Ron or anyone else,

How do you know that the results of finger prints were recieved by the NBC? Can you please tell me how i cann find out about it?

couch

Got my interview notice!

cswenson002 said:
teej,

I received a notice from my local office and asked me to get my finger print done again. My friend who works for an immigration lawyer said that the local office will ask you to do the finger print again when they are about ready to interview you. I am not sure if that is true or not. But I am going to get the finger print done tomorrow. If I hear anything, I will let you know.

Regards,
cswenson

I actually got my interview notice over the weekend! Its on August 15th. The notice doesn't include anything on fingerprinting again. I just need to get all my papers together. The only thing I need to find out is whether I need to get the medical stuff done again because I submitted the I-693 with the I-130 and 1-485 back in September 2003.

Hope you get your notice soon too! Hang in there!!

Advanced Parole Question

Does anyone know what to do if the AP document is not recieved within 90 days? What options do i have if i have to travel soon?

Couch

teej said:
I actually got my interview notice over the weekend! Its on August 15th. The notice doesn't include anything on fingerprinting again. I just need to get all my papers together. The only thing I need to find out is whether I need to get the medical stuff done again because I submitted the I-693 with the I-130 and 1-485 back in September 2003.

Hope you get your notice soon too! Hang in there!!

Hey Teej - did you get your interview letter from NBC or from your local office? Wish you luck on the interview.

Application Support Center - scheduling an appointment

Hey guys,
I am married to U.S citizen. On Sat I recived my recipt number (I 765, I 130), asking me to schedule an appointment at application support center. we are living in miami and the timeframe to schedule an appointment is just embarassing :eek:
do you know another state, I could get the appointment for biometrics and fingerprints sooner???????

Thanks!
Ewa

Fingerprints

Don't call anymore..to INS..just look for ASC near to your place but no in the big cities, and walk in...they don't ask you for nothing.
Be like you have your appoiment allready...if you have a letter just take it with you...and the security guy just show that letter, and say that you make your appoiment by phone...if you are not in the list...maybe was a mistake, and you forget your appoiment comfirmation at home.
Is the only way...good luck
I did that here in Los Angeles

Tango1976 said:
Don't call anymore..to INS..just look for ASC near to your place but no in the big cities, and walk in...they don't ask you for nothing.
Be like you have your appoiment allready...if you have a letter just take it with you...and the security guy just show that letter, and say that you make your appoiment by phone...if you are not in the list...maybe was a mistake, and you forget your appoiment comfirmation at home.
Is the only way...good luck
I did that here in Los Angeles

I too have the same problem with FP. My EAD is approved but can't be issued because I haven't done my FP. I have an appointment in indianapolis on 18th august but I can't wait that long. I need job urgenlty. So can I go to nearby offcies in columbus, cincinnati and say what you suggested?
thanks

Small Doubts, Big worries (I-485/I-130 Filed MSC/NBC)

Hi everyone,
I would be very grateful if anyone who had any experience in I-130/I-485 filing and those like JoeF who have knowledge about these matters or Attorneys would clarify few questions that I have, its so confusing and distracting that I am not able to concentrate on my work. I would really appreciate any answers, inputs or suggestions.

The Background…
- Nov 2002 -Came to US in, on F1(Valid Mar 2007) for Masters, have been in US since
- Mar 2005 - Applied for OPT (Optional Practical Training) in last week of March 2005 (with starting date of May 23, 2005)
- May 2, 2005, Got married to US Citizen
- Mid May 2005 - Received EAD, card for OPT starting May 23, 2005, valid until May 22, 2006
- June 1, 2005 - Started working for a company relative to my masters, (AT THIS STAGE we had decided to file papers based on marriage, so I informed the company that I would not need H1 visa etc.)
- June 29, 2005, Sent I-485, I-130, Affidavit of Support, I-131 (Advance Parole) to USCIS Chicago Lockbox (I read the instructions on forms and decided NOT to send Medical Form, as it was supposed to be transferred to local office and they ask for it during the interview, ALSO as I had EAD card for OPT, I decided NOT to send another application for EAD, thought will do it 3 months before my present EAD (OPT) expires.)
- Received Notices (I-797C) for all three (I-485, I-130, I-131) same dates… Received Date (RD) – July 4, 2005 (were they working on a holiday!!!)
Notice Date (ND) – July 12, 2005
Priority Date (PD) – NO DATE

NOW the questions

- Is there a Difference between I-797 and I-797C
- Did I do the right thing by not applying for another EAD right now?
- I read on USCIS yesterday that by not sending Medical Forms, they would now send and RFE, and process would be delayed, is this correct?
- Should I get the Medical done and send that too to Chicago lockbox with COPY of my I-797C Notice for I-485, or should I wait for the RFE, and not create confusion.
- Can I just get the medical done before and be prepared even if I don’t send it right now, (But if I have to submit during the interview, then its going to be long time currently the local office is showing processing dates for Dec 2003)
- Regarding the FORMS I-130 and on Biometrics – (US Citizen Spouse) but we also wrote INS registration number shown on Naturalization certificate wherever it asked for A# if any (like at one place in I-130 and Dark outlined box at bottom of biometrics forms) for my USC spouse. - I am just confused as someone told me that I should have just written citizen there or left blank…. BUT then also the I-485 was accepted, and there no priority dates mentioned on any Notice receipts ( I assume that it means Current) also has A# for me on it, and I believe that you can file concurrently on if for Spouse of US Citizen. --- IS This Correct. Or would the Petition considered as done by a Permanent Resident.
- Regarding Form I-485, For the question to provide Non-Immigrant Visa Number I have written the number under CONTROL Number on the VISA and not the Number in RED on bottom right hand corner. So should I call the 1-800 number and ask them to correct it…. Does this create more confusion…. Or should I just wait for the interview and tell the officer to correct it.

I GUESS it’s a very long list of questions, but it would be really really helpful to ease a bit of my anxiety if anyone of you can answer or give suggestions to any or all of the above. Thank you very much for your time to read this…and good luck for everyone.

hianktap said:
Hi everyone,
I would be very grateful if anyone who had any experience in I-130/I-485 filing and those like JoeF who have knowledge about these matters or Attorneys would clarify few questions that I have, its so confusing and distracting that I am not able to concentrate on my work. I would really appreciate any answers, inputs or suggestions.

The Background…
- Nov 2002 -Came to US in, on F1(Valid Mar 2007) for Masters, have been in US since
- Mar 2005 - Applied for OPT (Optional Practical Training) in last week of March 2005 (with starting date of May 23, 2005)
- May 2, 2005, Got married to US Citizen
- Mid May 2005 - Received EAD, card for OPT starting May 23, 2005, valid until May 22, 2006
- June 1, 2005 - Started working for a company relative to my masters, (AT THIS STAGE we had decided to file papers based on marriage, so I informed the company that I would not need H1 visa etc.)
- June 29, 2005, Sent I-485, I-130, Affidavit of Support, I-131 (Advance Parole) to USCIS Chicago Lockbox (I read the instructions on forms and decided NOT to send Medical Form, as it was supposed to be transferred to local office and they ask for it during the interview, ALSO as I had EAD card for OPT, I decided NOT to send another application for EAD, thought will do it 3 months before my present EAD (OPT) expires.)
- Received Notices (I-797C) for all three (I-485, I-130, I-131) same dates… Received Date (RD) – July 4, 2005 (were they working on a holiday!!!)
Notice Date (ND) – July 12, 2005
Priority Date (PD) – NO DATE

NOW the questions

- Is there a Difference between I-797 and I-797C
- Did I do the right thing by not applying for another EAD right now?
You already have a valid EAD, so makes no sense to apply for another one.

- I read on USCIS yesterday that by not sending Medical Forms, they would now send and RFE, and process would be delayed, is this correct?
Yes, you include the sealed medical envelope when you send the package to the chicago lock box. Since you did not do it, you might get an RFE asking you to send your medical or you might be asked to bring it with you to the interview. So wait for the RFE to see what it says.

- Should I get the Medical done and send that too to Chicago lockbox with COPY of my I-797C Notice for I-485, or should I wait for the RFE, and not create confusion.
See answer above

- Can I just get the medical done before and be prepared even if I don’t send it right now, (But if I have to submit during the interview, then its going to be long time currently the local office is showing processing dates for Dec 2003)
The result of the medical exam is valid for 12 months, so its your call when you plan to do it. Most of the people have their medical done close to when they submit the forms.

- Regarding the FORMS I-130 and on Biometrics – (US Citizen Spouse) but we also wrote INS registration number shown on Naturalization certificate wherever it asked for A# if any (like at one place in I-130 and Dark outlined box at bottom of biometrics forms) for my USC spouse. - I am just confused as someone told me that I should have just written citizen there or left blank…. BUT then also the I-485 was accepted, and there no priority dates mentioned on any Notice receipts ( I assume that it means Current) also has A# for me on it, and I believe that you can file concurrently on if for Spouse of US Citizen. --- IS This Correct. Or would the Petition considered as done by a Permanent Resident.
Sorry, your question is confusing, but ill try to answer what i understood. Since you filed as the spouse of a USC, your PD is always current. USC need not fill the A# section of the form. As instructed on the form, you write N/A if it is not applicable to you.

- Regarding Form I-485, For the question to provide Non-Immigrant Visa Number I have written the number under CONTROL Number on the VISA and not the Number in RED on bottom right hand corner. So should I call the 1-800 number and ask them to correct it…. Does this create more confusion…. Or should I just wait for the interview and tell the officer to correct it.
The visa number is the one in RED. Call USCIS and request for correction.

I GUESS it’s a very long list of questions, but it would be really really helpful to ease a bit of my anxiety if anyone of you can answer or give suggestions to any or all of the above. Thank you very much for your time to read this…and good luck for everyone.

Thanks for the reply

Hi Ari4u, Thanks very much for the response.
Well the question regarding the A# -
"Sorry, your question is confusing, but ill try to answer what i understood. Since you filed as the spouse of a USC, your PD is always current. USC need not fill the A# section of the form. As instructed on the form, you write N/A if it is not applicable to you."

Spouse is USC, but still have written A# in the forms.
I received NOA for I-485 with an A# assigned to me and NO priority date - does this means that the application is being considered as one of US citizen
Also the I-130 NOA did not have any priority date.
So just want to make sure if the application and petition are being considered for USC and not as filed by Pemanent Resident.

hianktap said:
Hi Ari4u, Thanks very much for the response.
Well the question regarding the A# -
"Sorry, your question is confusing, but ill try to answer what i understood. Since you filed as the spouse of a USC, your PD is always current. USC need not fill the A# section of the form. As instructed on the form, you write N/A if it is not applicable to you."

Spouse is USC, but still have written A# in the forms.
I received NOA for I-485 with an A# assigned to me and NO priority date - does this means that the application is being considered as one of US citizen
Also the I-130 NOA did not have any priority date.
So just want to make sure if the application and petition are being considered for USC and not as filed by Pemanent Resident.

Looks like its going okay, If they have problem, they will send RFE. You may still want to call and check for your peace of mind.

Your PD is always current if you file as the spouse of a USC. Hence no date on your NOA. If you were considered to be the spouse of a LPR, you would fall in the second preference category and have to wait for your visa number, and hence you would have a PD. I would still suggest you call and clarify.