Family based I-130/I-485

Hi guys. I have finally received my green card. Unfortunately, they have used a picture of another man in my card. :mad: I can't believe that INS could make such horrible mistakes. I have just made an INFOPASS appointment to file I-90.
Aliazmat76, it seems that your mother needs to learn the language if she wants to be naturalized. She has two-three years to learn the language and study the history of this great country. If this is not possible, you might be able to get a doctor to testify that it is very difficult for your mom to learn English due to her age. Then again, advice from an immigration lawyer would be the most prudent. Good luck on your case.

Family I-130

Hope someone can help me on this one.

I am a US Citizen. Filed I-130 (Immigration petition) for my parents to come to the US as immigrants. They dont have to wait as they dont fall under any quota because they're immediate relatives of US-Citizen.

This is my question:

I have a younger brother in India , 17 yrs old. Will he be able to come with my parents as an immigrant? Does anyone know about this? I really would appreciate if anyone could offer some advise on this. Thanks a lot in advance...

Helpneeded

ugeek05 said:
Hi guys. I have finally received my green card. Unfortunately, they have used a picture of another man in my card. :mad: I can't believe that INS could make such horrible mistakes. I have just made an INFOPASS appointment to file I-90.
Aliazmat76, it seems that your mother needs to learn the language if she wants to be naturalized. She has two-three years to learn the language and study the history of this great country. If this is not possible, you might be able to get a doctor to testify that it is very difficult for your mom to learn English due to her age. Then again, advice from an immigration lawyer would be the most prudent. Good luck on your case.

Thank you very much ugeek05.. I think you have ginven me way to what to do. My mom is Punjabi (Pakistani) women 70 years old. And for her to learn English it is very difficult. Not only diifficul but also seems like impossible. But to consult doctor is good adivse. And also consulting a lawyer is also good. Thanks again. And also I so sorry to read about your green card. I don't know why INS doing these kind of mistake when a person just depend upon them. Official it is hurting us when INS do these kind of job. May God give you Right green card and Good luck with your future

Last edited by a moderator:
helpneeded2003 said:
Hope someone can help me on this one.

I am a US Citizen. Filed I-130 (Immigration petition) for my parents to come to the US as immigrants. They dont have to wait as they dont fall under any quota because they're immediate relatives of US-Citizen.

This is my question:

I have a younger brother in India , 17 yrs old. Will he be able to come with my parents as an immigrant? Does anyone know about this? I really would appreciate if anyone could offer some advise on this. Thanks a lot in advance...

Helpneeded

Hi I think your younger brother will also eligible for green card with your parent. As your parent are immidiate ralitives and your bother is not over 21 so he will be eligible for immigration with them. This is my thought I don't know about real. but it is seems like that. When my parent got a latter from INS for submiting neccessary document there was a coulme in whcih they showd if your child are becoming over 21 you should be submit their document as early as possible so by that they will also eligible for immigration before 21. So your brother must be eligible in my thought. May God sattle all your plans as your desires

Hello again guys. I just got back from NY INS after filing for I-90. I couldn't believe that I am giving up my green card. You should see how the immigration officer easily cut the lower right hand corner of the card to void it. :( He then told me that it would take from 6-9 months for the new card to arrive. He then attatched the receipt for the I-90 on my passport and gave me a temporary I-551 stamp good for 1 year. He then talked to me about how fast I got my green card. I told him that I was part of the pilot program and then he mentioned to me an article in todays NY TIMES about the pilot program. I went home and got a copy of the TIMES and it was an article stating that the pilot program in NY has been halted effective last Thursday. People filing for I-485 process now have to wait at least 2 years again for an interview and approval. Even though INS screwed up my green card, I still consider myself lucky. I wish good luck to everyone in this board who are still undergoing the process especially my fellow New Yorkers.

Doubts

Hello, I have my dates as mentioned below, however I am concerned since I haven't heard anything from the INS yet? I am guessing that the interview would be the next step. Is that correct? Do I need to contact them about it or just keep on waiting? Also if I were to check my case status, what date should I be looking at? Would it be for my I-130 or I-485? Any advice would be helpful. I submitted it in Detroit, and it went to the NBC.
Thank you

Hi Snalion. well I guess you are in good position as your case has approved. But I don't understand which one your case has been approved that you not mention. Either it is I-130 or I-485 ? If your I-130 has approved then quastion is in whihc catagory? Coz it is different processing time. If your I-485 has approved then your are very near to green card. As you mention your fingerprint and biomat.... has approved or you have done. then you don't need to hurry for anything. just wait for one month to three months. If INS calls your then you would be called for your interview. If they don't then you should go to your local INS office and asked them what's going on. Listen I am not lawer but whatever I wrote over here I read that on Law & regulations on INS site it is seems like that .So good luck. keep update me if you get anything from INS..

Hello, sorry I should have mentioned that -- I am married to an US citizen and thus we filed it accordingly. Also, I am confused since you ask me about the approval dates for I-130 and I-485. The only dates I have on me are the receipt dates for I-130 and I-485 and then the approval dates for I-765 and I-131. Thus my question is, how long should I be waiting to be called for an interview now? Is it after the interview that the I-130 and I-485 gets approved or one of them gets approved before? Or is there something I'm missing?
Thank you

Hi Snalion. As you mention that you married to USC so you don't need to wait visa number. Go to INS website so you will see priroty date for Alline married to USC. and NBC dates are Oct.13.2003. So you don't need to worry about. Espasially your EAD card has approved so you can work over there.First of all your I-130 will approve then your I-485 will approve. Actully I think I-130 is the petition for visa available. and I-485 is for Adjusment of status. So after approval of I-130 your I-486 will be started.Then you need only pay its fee and be ready for interview. As it is procedure. Well another thing and that is the dates mention in INS site doesn't mean you need to wait till that time. It may be quicker or some lateer as they mention coz they send cases to other INS office for speedy process. So have faith you will be ok. Good Luck.

snalion said:
Hello, sorry I should have mentioned that -- I am married to an US citizen and thus we filed it accordingly. Also, I am confused since you ask me about the approval dates for I-130 and I-485. The only dates I have on me are the receipt dates for I-130 and I-485 and then the approval dates for I-765 and I-131. Thus my question is, how long should I be waiting to be called for an interview now? Is it after the interview that the I-130 and I-485 gets approved or one of them gets approved before? Or is there something I'm missing?
Thank you
Hey don't get confused with I-130 approval AT ALL. It concerns only green card holders petitioning for spouse. They must FIRST wait for I-130 approval and based on that they file I-485.US citizen- ALien spouse case has nothing to do with this procedure, because you DON't wait for any I-130 approval.
Both I-130 and I-485 are adjudicated together at the time of the interview. Priority dates for US citizen's spouse are always CURRENT.
Like My receipt date is June, 7th. 2004 and that's my priority date (that's also written on the interview letter). We never got my husband's I-130 approval. We got the interview letter. After EAD and AP approval you wait for the interview letter. That's the final step - when a green card/stamp will be either granted or not (unless the FBI name check is still pending or there's something wrong or missing in you docs and they request the missing papers or fees).
DON"T get confused, because US citiszen-Alien spouse is straight and not like LPR-Alien spouse. You dont wait for anything but the interview letter, after everything's received
Just be patient and wait for it now. It took me 10 months all together.
Docs received by INS - June,2004
Interview scheduled - April, 2005

Good luck.You've done it ALLright

Hey NBC_June04, when did you get the notice to schedule your interview? My I-130 receipt date from NBC is July 12th, 2004 and I'm still waiting for a notice. For my I-485 they received my fingerprints on July 30th, 2004.

My original receipt dates were in October, 2003 when I had first applied in Washington DC. After that I moved to LA, and now my receipt date has changed to July 12, 2004. I have no idea whats happening with my case now, what the next step is, and when I will hear anything new! I need to go outside the country in beginning of July, and I'm not even sure where I should apply for AP - NBC or the local Los Angeles office, since back in July 2004 I had asked the LA office to transfer my case to them. I have no idea whether my case is in NBC or in LA now, hence my confusion of where to apply for AP! :confused: :(

NBC_June04 said:
Hey don't get confused with I-130 approval AT ALL. It concerns only green card holders petitioning for spouse. They must FIRST wait for I-130 approval and based on that they file I-485.US citizen- ALien spouse case has nothing to do with this procedure, because you DON't wait for any I-130 approval.
Both I-130 and I-485 are adjudicated together at the time of the interview. Priority dates for US citizen's spouse are always CURRENT.
Like My receipt date is June, 7th. 2004 and that's my priority date (that's also written on the interview letter). We never got my husband's I-130 approval. We got the interview letter. After EAD and AP approval you wait for the interview letter. That's the final step - when a green card/stamp will be either granted or not (unless the FBI name check is still pending or there's something wrong or missing in you docs and they request the missing papers or fees).
DON"T get confused, because US citiszen-Alien spouse is straight and not like LPR-Alien spouse. You dont wait for anything but the interview letter, after everything's received
Just be patient and wait for it now. It took me 10 months all together.
Docs received by INS - June,2004
Interview scheduled - April, 2005

Good luck.You've done it ALLright

teej, your case will be processed at local office LA. When a case move from one office to another, then it is put at let's say the end of the line. So you follow LA processing dates. As it is July,12. Ap and EAD are now only issued by NBC for family based USC-ALien spouse. I am pretty sure you should apply for AP at NBC. Local offices do not deal with those 2 docs anymore, cause NBC does the preprocessing. They will only issue emergency AP and interim EAD. Apply copy of the receipt notice from LA for I-485 you got and all docs needed and send I-131. Green cards are also issued at NBC after approvals from local offices.
In general the whole ordeal is: DOCS received by NBC -> NBC ISSUES AP& EAD-> when the local office is ready NBC send an interview letter-> local office makes the decision of approval/denial of a green card and send back to to NBC, where they make the actual card. That's why it is important NBC to have your most recent address, because they do all the paperwork and cards.Local office deals with the interview itself only
Otherwise My docs were With RD June, 7th 2004. EAD - Oct 19 2004. Interview letter sent Feb, 16, 2005, interview scheduled April 5, 2005.

Hi NBC_June04

Hi NBC_June04 I think you are right. About I-130 and I-485 your concept is preety much good. I found you are also lukcy one to got all your process within 10 months. Congratulation. But one more things and e.g everybody are not lucky like you. As you saw that Teej has receipt date July 12th 2004 and according to your he/she should get something else. But It is ok I think your concept are preety good , Much better than me. Well I let you know something that in immigration you can't say exactly and cant's predict what will happen to your case. Look in to my case I got time frame for 815 to 830 days. then I got 990 days. now I have 990 to 999 days which has passed more than a month. My brother went to INS local office and after 2-1/2 hours he got window and they only said WE DON'T KNOW. Keep track your case on internet. So it is hard to preidict. I have a advise to teej and e.g he/she should go to INS local office and keep inform them about change of address so by that he/she will get something else. I-130 for immidiate ralitves petition always current but I surprised to NBC priority date for NBC is still October 03 2003. Why they are too late ?

aliazmat76 said:
Hi NBC_June04 I think you are right. About I-130 and I-485 your concept is preety much good. I found you are also lukcy one to got all your process within 10 months. Congratulation. But one more things and e.g everybody are not lucky like you. As you saw that Teej has receipt date July 12th 2004 and according to your he/she should get something else. But It is ok I think your concept are preety good , Much better than me. Well I let you know something that in immigration you can't say exactly and cant's predict what will happen to your case. Look in to my case I got time frame for 815 to 830 days. then I got 990 days. now I have 990 to 999 days which has passed more than a month. My brother went to INS local office and after 2-1/2 hours he got window and they only said WE DON'T KNOW. Keep track your case on internet. So it is hard to preidict. I have a advise to teej and e.g he/she should go to INS local office and keep inform them about change of address so by that he/she will get something else. I-130 for immidiate ralitves petition always current but I surprised to NBC priority date for NBC is still October 03 2003. Why they are too late ?

The only diffrenece concerning the time frame is the origin of the petitioner and the category of the Adjustee. For LPR petitioning for spouse - 5 years, brother sister... 10-15 years. The fastest case is USC-alien spouse though - about 1 year.According to most people's experince the interview is usually scheduled within 12 months of the RD. That I guess excludes backlogs from previous years. The main point is that USC's spouse does not have to wait for priority date. USC-Alien RELATIVE is the only case when I-130 and I-485 could be filed concurrently in family-based immigration.

I don't consider myself lucky until the interview is over. Even that everything's all right if the name check is pending with FBI, nobody knows how much receiving a green card could take.

NBC_June2004 and aliazmat76,

Thanks for your responses! I have an appointment scheduled for March 23rd at the LA office just to see if they can give me an update. Looking at your dates NBC_June2004, I am hoping I will also get an interview letter in the next couple of weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed!

aliazmat76 said:

please file your address change asap ........ all that garbage about it being a nightmare is pure crap...............
i filed change of address in dec 2004 and got interview letter for i-485 in march /05

Waiting for I-485 for more than 1 year

Hello my fellow immigrants,

I filed for I-485\I-765\I-130\I-131 on March 4, 2004. I was on H-1 visa and
married a US citizen. My I-765 and I-131 got approved in 4 months.
I visited my country on Parole in August. I have been here since then.
My case is in MSC/NBC for the last one year. My district office is Newark which is currently processing case for June 3, 2004. I did not receive any upate or letter from USCIS. A lawyer (good for nothing) filed my case. He does not have any explanation about my case status. I have made two inquiries (1800#) since then, but it has been unfruitful :( . I re-applied for work permit card online and never received a receipt I-797. I made an appointment and went to Newark office and they told me that the case is in Missouri and they have no other information.
Also, i never got a receipt for I-130. Does any one have any idea what is
going on and what i should do :confused: ? I appreciate any response.

Thanks

Hi Faisalt. Your case just complecated as I am consider but I pray it won't be. First of all I think it was bad idea to visit your native country when you are not in the strong position. But it happend so. As you can see on USCIS site the I-131 priroty dates from Nov- To Jan.. and I-765 are Jan. But these cases are already approved then why you have problem to go back. What does immigration tell you ? what they have reason. Secondly why haven't you got any receipt of I-130 case. It is much stronger than other coz by that you can live forever in US. And your catagory is Immidiate relative which is relible to anyone. You should consuntrate I-130 case coz it is strong. Whatever you have with I-130 case any receipt or anything, send your supose to INS office alongwith it and asked them what's going on. May be they have sent you a receipt but you did not get it. Or may be some other reason. As you mention that you filed all petitions on March 2004 then it seems like you should be in US till now. I suggest you to send your supose to Local INS office so may be she will get something. And don't worry you will be ok. You will go to US. (ISHAALLAH)

Hey aliazmat76, Thanks for the quick reply. I really appreciate it. I think there might be some confusion on my post. I am already in US and working on EAD. As my EAD is going to expire in 3months. I have re-applied for renewal EAD. I am not sure about I-130. My lawyer has charged money for processing it but i never got receipt from USCIS. I was reading one message that said if you marry a citizen then I-130 is incorporated with I-485 and it is approved once I-485 is approved. I personally went to Newark, NJ office and they said that case is in Missouri and they dont have any other information. What should i do now?