Jayintheusa

hypothetical scenario: A person filling out I-9 checked the citizen box not knowing what they were doing. The documents they provided were a fake green card with their name on it and a fake ssn with their name on it. The company that processed all this used e verify yet this person never received a mismatch/ tentative confirmation letter.

My question is, would this person be permanently barred even though the claim wasn’t for a benefit?

Also is it possible that this company never filled out an e verify case for this person?

False claim of citizenship applies to any purpose under federal or state law. The I-9 is specifically included as one of these purposes. 8 USC 1182(a)(6)(C)(ii)(I) says:
Any alien who falsely represents, or has falsely represented, himself or herself to be a citizen of the United States for any purpose or benefit under this chapter (including section 1324a of this title) or any other Federal or State law is inadmissible.
where 8 USC 1324a is about employment authorization and I-9.

What doesn't make sense from your description is why the person would check the box for citizen if they presented a green card. Wouldn't they check the box for permanent resident instead?

Companies are not required to use E-Verify. So I don't see how whether the company filled out a case is relevant.