FAFSA and illegal students

I was in your shoes! youll survive!

sorry in advance for this long message:

Hi i know how you feel, i am also a student in the U.S and was hoping for the dream act! you will qualify.

When i applied for college acceptacne, private schools sene me fafsa form, i dind not apply for it b/c illegals simply do not qualify. look for private scholarships for undocumented students, apply for schoalarships given by your school that are not for US citizens only.

Do not expose your status to the fafsa officers at your school, b/ they will not help u get documenttations, they do not have to know?

Can you afford theses schools, if not look at city schools, i am in New York, and doing well for $2158.25 a semester.

U dont have to file FAFSA. Simply tell them u do not qualify, and ask if your admissions will be canceled....which i doubt...i f u dont file.

Good Luck,
apply for 2011 DV lottery so u can get your GC( i applied for 2010 and won!. )Good luck.

If I call the admission offices, I don't know where to start. Do I have to say I'm living illegally? or undocumented or what?? im scared...:(
So if anyone have information about UCB, UCSC, UCLA, Dominican University, USF, and CCSF (Those are schools I applied) Plz tell me if I need to fill out FAFSA and send it directly to the university or what I have to do.
I am so worried about this. The FAFSA deadline is coming and I still have no idea what I should do
(T_T)

i graduated from high school, but i can't go to college cuz i have no ss# and therefore i can't apply for scholarships.... i would love to be informed bout this...

Hey! did you already start applying to schools?

i am a sophomore at IUP, and not too long ago i was in the same place you are now. Its going to be hard (very), yet not impossible! I would advise you to apply to as many schools as you can get your hands on (i applied to like 10 or more) , especially private schools. Don't even bother with FAFSA. On applications just leave the ss# box blank. Now getting accepted isn't that hard, but getting the money is. Apply to all the private scholarships you find, even if they ask for a ss# a lot of them don't really check for it (check out the Ronald Macdonald scholarship, and "illegal" friend of mine has it).

Don't give up! you can do it! i found that for me the greatest motivator was to know that there were other students in my same shoes that had managed to go to college and graduate! and i can assure you, there are many of us, me and my boyfriend are doing it and he just graduated last spring and is now going onto grad school!

You will have to work twice as hard than anybody else but it is all worth it in the end! and yup its not fair, but whatever, it doesn't matter, we are just that good :)

haha PS. YOU CAN APPLY TO SCHOLARSHIP AND WIN THEM!!! (just not FAFSA)

I have a question my self..

I have a E1 visa.. and I am currently a Junior at my high school.. I been living here (in the US) since January 2009 and I was wondering if I am elegible for FAFSA or in-sate-tuition
We just got a letter from our lawyer saying that we can start our process to become Permanent residents, but we haven't started the process yet, since we have to travel to San Diego and we live near Fresno, but we will hopefully during spring break.

I want to attend to a UC (UCSD, UCLA, UC Berkley, and my dream is Stanford)
I want to study a major on Software Programming.

PS. Please post any schoolarship that has helped you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question why do you have to do the process is San Diego? There is a USCIS Office in Fresno so going to San Diego seems a little extreme.

Help!

Can anybody here help me? I'm being so hopeless :( Okay now..let me introduce myself.
I came here last June 2010 with a b1 visa (it's a 10 year visa that's about to expire this coming August) so i decided to stay and try to study here. My I-94 already expired last December so as much as i don't wanna think of it.. i'm staying here illegally. Last year, around September I started to apply for "student visa" hoping that the immigration would grant my request. The school was A OKAY with it so we just waited for the decision of the immigration for a few more months.. then BOOM! 1 week before my 1-94 was about to expire, a letter from them came saying that I'm denied. They told me to go back home. But duh, I won't go back just like that :( Anyways, they denied me because i'll be out of status before spring term begins. They said, spring term will begin on the 7th of Feb 2011 and i'll be out of my status on the 28th Dec 2010. Something like that.. I'M SO DAMN CONFUSED NOW Sometimes I regret going here cause imagine, if i stayed in my country i should be graduating from college next year already :( But my relatives told me not to go home too, so i stayed. They even told me about marrying a US Citizen. Ugh! I don't know and I'm sorry i know this is too long :p i just need some help/advice.. Thank you!

I don't think it will be quite as easy as that -- if the mom is in the US illegally, I highly doubt she is filing US taxes.

First, I would start by doing some research to see if the mom makes enough money that she should be filing. If she doesn't, then she would simply state that on the FAFSA. If she is required to file, then I would contact FAFSA and ask what to do. :cool:

Can anybody here help me? I'm being so hopeless :( Okay now..let me introduce myself.
I came here last June 2010 with a b1 visa (it's a 10 year visa that's about to expire this coming August) so i decided to stay and try to study here. My I-94 already expired last December so as much as i don't wanna think of it.. i'm staying here illegally. Last year, around September I started to apply for "student visa" hoping that the immigration would grant my request. The school was A OKAY with it so we just waited for the decision of the immigration for a few more months.. then BOOM! 1 week before my 1-94 was about to expire, a letter from them came saying that I'm denied. They told me to go back home. But duh, I won't go back just like that :( Anyways, they denied me because i'll be out of status before spring term begins. They said, spring term will begin on the 7th of Feb 2011 and i'll be out of my status on the 28th Dec 2010. Something like that.. I'M SO DAMN CONFUSED NOW Sometimes I regret going here cause imagine, if i stayed in my country i should be graduating from college next year already :( But my relatives told me not to go home too, so i stayed. They even told me about marrying a US Citizen. Ugh! I don't know and I'm sorry i know this is too long :p i just need some help/advice.. Thank you!

DUH!!! You won't be getting a degree here either. You're an illegal. Go back home if you want to study. You've no future here as an illegal. Dream Act is just a dream of illegals; it won't be coming true ever.